April 2011 Moms

if you breastfeed at night...

I assume this will be a lot of us - so I hope to get a lot of responses! :)

If you nurse at night, do you feed on BOTH sides each feeding, or just one?

I've been doing just 1, because DD is seriously unconscious after just one side.. and I hate to wake her up, obviously. But last night I did BOTH sides, bc she wasn't asleep after one (which was rare), and she went 4 hours! Dunno if it was just coincidental.. but do you think it's worth it to try to rouse her awake after one side, to try to get both sides again?? I don't know.

Re: if you breastfeed at night...

• I follow her lead. If she wakes after feeding on one side, then I will feed her on the other, but if she is seriously passed out, then I go ahead and let her sleep.
  • I usually do just one, to try to make sure she is getting enough hindmilk (supposedly that can help them sleep longer too).
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    bfp 4/8/2010, m/c 4/16/2010
    bfp 7/31/2010, dd born 4/2011
    bfp 2/7/2014, edd 10/19/2014, m/c 2/25/2014
    bfp 5/22/2014, edd 1/27/2015, MMC 6/30/2014, D&C 7/8/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKiki's first:
    I follow her lead. If she wakes after feeding on one side, then I will feed her on the other, but if she is seriously passed out, then I go ahead and let her sleep.

This.

Hard to say if it was coincidence or not that she slept longer after taking both sides.  See if she does it again tonight!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i do both sides. she usually falls asleep after one, but she wakes up when i switch her. i've found that she sleeps longer after doing both sides. i think because she's fuller. but i don't know if that's true for most babies or not.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DD just randomly has slept through the past few nights but before I would feed both sides. I'd do one side burp and then try to get hr to take the other side so she'd sleep longer.
  • GHBEAGHBEA member
    I usually do one side, then she sleeps for about 3.5 or 4 hours then I pump, she wakes up and nurses on the other side.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I usually only nurse on one side, unless he's feeding more frequently/cluster feeding and I don't have time in between to "fill up" again. 
  • I almost exclusively feed off one side at each feeding, so I'm probably not much help. Personally, I wouldn't wake her. Once she is asleep, put her down. She probably wasn't asleep because she just happened to be hungrier last night than usual. Just my opinion - if I wake DS up at all, he is wide awake and we're up for ours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I always feed on just one side, day and night.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • vanfoxvanfox member
    Usually just one because he conks out so fast. On the couple of times he's still been awake enough for me to switch him, I haven't noticed him sleeping much longer. It might be worth it for you, though!
  • I only ever feed from one side so my answer may not be relevant. If LO falls asleep before he is done with a full feeding, I wake him up. If during the day he feeds for 20 minutes that is what I expect at night.

Your LO may have slept longer because her belly was fuller than usual.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageKiki's first:
    I follow her lead. If she wakes after feeding on one side, then I will feed her on the other, but if she is seriously passed out, then I go ahead and let her sleep.

This.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• VespahVespah member
    When she was still waking up for her 2am feeding, she would only take one side, even though she would usually take both during the day. If she's falling asleep I wouldn't wake her up to try and give her more provided she had a good drain of the one side.
    Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• I typically feed both.  She's usually asleep, but not in a deep sleep after one side, so I end up burping her and that usually stirs her enough to nurse (at least some) on the second side.  I kind of feel the more she eats, the less soon she'll need to eat again!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • One side usually does it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I always do both.  If he's asleep after the first then I'll burp and change his diaper and then he always takes the second.  Are you guys not changing diapers in the night?  I couldn't do that, he's always soaked.
  • I feed on one side per hr. My lo gets too much foremilk if i switch sides within the hr. He then has green poop, gassy and still hungry because he didnt eat enough fat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"