Parenting

Best place to put a tattoo?

I want to get three words from one of my favorites quotes tattooed. It's eight letters total.

I've narrowed it down to: the back of my neck, across the left shoulder, or left shoulder blade.

Anyone have a tattoo on any of these places? Love it? Hate it?

Re: Best place to put a tattoo?

• I have heard neck hurts and so does the middle of your back, everyone is different though it really depends on your pain tolarance. I have a tattoo on my upper right arm and one on my chest above my heart, the one on my arm didn't hurt at all, the chest one hurt a little bit though.

Teagan-11/22/10
    Scarlett Madison-12-18-2014
    Baby # 3 Due 06/02/16

Furchildren include
    Kali 12/20/10-Husky-Has Addison's Disease.
    Doxie 10/04/11-Dachsund
    Tadley 11/12-Cat Ruler of the house.
  • I have one tattoo and it's on my right shoulder blade. Really didn't hurt at all and it's in a spot that is very easily covered by most clothing, yet still can be seen when you're in a tank top or swimsuit.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have one between my shoulder blades.  It didn't hurt too bad at all for me.  I like that it is covered up if need be but when in a tank top or shirt that is kind of low in the back it usually shows.
  • Best place to put a tattoo?  On someone else.

I've never seen a tattoo on a woman that didn't make her look cheap.  Don't do it.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I have 8 tattoos. The one on my shoulder blade hurt the least, the one on my foot, the most. It boils down to where ever you have the least fat and most bone is where it will hurt the most. So if you have bony shoulders like I do, that would probably hurt as would the neck. I'll be honest though, everywhere hurts, it just depends on your pain tolerance. Obviously it didn't hurt me too much, I keep going back for more LOL
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • imageJ&A2008:

Best place to put a tattoo?  On someone else.

I've never seen a tattoo on a woman that didn't make her look cheap.  Don't do it.

This. Sorry, but I agree. 

• imageJ&A2008:

Yes

• I am not a big fan of tattoos, but I think they can be done tastefully and I understand people wanting certain tattoos of extreme symbolic importance (99% of tattoos don't fit that though, lol) Anyway, I would say the best place would be where 1) you can easily hide it if you want/need to, and 2) A place that as you age won't stretch/sag too much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I could not disagree with the cheap comment more. I agree if someone gets a tweety bird tatoo on her ankle- ew.  I strongly feel that is a gross over generalization.

Some of us women have been through epic things in our lives, like WM, and feel the PERSONAL need to document these things on their bodies. It's therapy for some of us. Most of you wouldn't *get* it anyway.

Honestly, anyone who would judge someone else for inking their own body is lame.

...but then again this is just mho.

WM- what are you getting? Words? What about on your inner bicep- so you can't see it when your arm is down? Or on our rib cage going down?

~Lisa
    Mum to Owen and Lucas Daisypath Wedding tickers>
  • I like this...

~Lisa

• THIS IS NOT MY SISTER'S TATTOO

However, this is similar to the location of hers, except hers is closer to the knee pit. ;)

she has the word 'Rescue' there in script.   

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • imageJ&A2008:

LOL, well thanks for your opinion!

• imageJamaica_Bride:

WM- what are you getting? Words? What about on your inner bicep- so you can't see it when your arm is down? Or on our rib cage going down?

This. Duh!

• imageJamaica_Bride:

I could not disagree with the cheap comment more. I agree if someone gets a tweety bird tatoo on her ankle- ew.  I strongly feel that is a gross over generalization.

Some of us women have been through epic things in our lives, like WM, and feel the PERSONAL need to document these things on their bodies. It's therapy for some of us. Most of you wouldn't *get* it anyway.

Honestly, anyone who would judge someone else for inking their own body is lame.

Pretty much this. I have a very small tattoo of my astrological sign on my hip. Unless I'm wearing a bathing suit, no one sees it.
    imageimage
    Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
    "Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church
  • Actually, I want this one, but in a different font.

• Aw, c'mon. My tattoo is very meaningful to me. See?

• I want to get one on the inside of my arm, right above the elbow.  I like that spot because its easily hid by a shirt or when your arm is at your side.  And I can easily see it.  I wouldn't want a tattoo on my back that I could never see.  The only thing holding me back is how much that will hurt, the skin is pretty thin there...it scares me...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have mine on the back of my left shoulder.  It's nice because it's hidden unless I'm wearing a tank top or bathing suit, but I somewhat wish I'd put it somewhere I could see it more.  I got it for me to remind me of what's important to me, but I often forget I have it.  No idea where, but I'm trying to figure out where I want my next one so that I can see it more, but it's still easily hidden for work and other things.
  • imageCleoKitty:

Aw, c'mon. My tattoo is very meaningful to me. See?

Dead.

• EMTEMT member
    imageCleoKitty:

Aw, c'mon. My tattoo is very meaningful to me. See?

Is this your constant reminder to spay and neuter your pets? ;) I am not really one for tattoos but do like the idea of commemorating something that is meaningful to you. I also like the idea of placing it somewhere that you can hide it if need be :).

• imageJamaica_Bride:

I could not disagree with the cheap comment more. I agree if someone gets a tweety bird tatoo on her ankle- ew.  I strongly feel that is a gross over generalization.

I couldn't agree more! 

• I agree that a tatoo can be tastefully done. I am considering getting a small one myself.  For me, I would want somewhere that would be covered up for work.  For that reason I would rule out the back of the neck b/c I love to wear my hair in a ponytail at work sometimes.

I like the back of the shoulderblade, or across your hipbone if you want to see it.  Just please do not do what my hubby refers to as the 'tramp stamp' (lower back), lol!

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.
  • And to answer the question, my next tattoo will probably on the back of my neck.
  • imageJ&A2008:

Really? A tattoo makes a woman look cheap? ::insert big old eye roll here::

• I would love to get one on my foot (although it would hurt a lot).  I don't know what I would get but would want something really meaningful - and I can't come up with anything right now.  LOL!  I would want something that would symbolize strength, perseverance and balance. 

GL and post pics when you decide!

• If I wasn't such a fecking wuss I would already have one on my foot. I want one, but I'm terrified.

Tats are sexy. Of course, as long as there is no Bob Barker or Tweety Bird involved.
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.
  • One of my good friends has her kids' names on her wrist.  it is on the top, but is easily covered/hidden with her watch/bracelets. On her it looks great. My BFF has one that is a frog/rain forest scene that nearly covers her entire back - not too many people see it, but it is awesome.  

If it is something the is especially meaningful to you, (like a quote) I think it should be somewhere you will see it.   

Posh's looks cool, but I just don't get the idea of putting one on the back of your neck - especially something like kids' names or a RIP one.  But, I have none, so what do I know? lol

• I <3 JM. I think that might be my tattoo!!! Where should I put it? On my butt? BTW, did you guys (FB friends) see the meaningful tattoo I'm getting? It's awesome.
  • imageTheMamaBird:
    imageJ&A2008:

This 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Let me guess: you tattoo disapprovers don't drink and look down heavily upon people who cuss. You probably call it "using language." Am I right? I am, I know it. Lame!
  • imageJumperoo:
    imageTheMamaBird:
    imageJ&A2008:

This 

That's cool. I never claimed to not be "cheap" though. Stick out tongue

• imageJ&A2008:

I usually agree with this and am not a tattoo fan but I think that when they are done for real reasons and give strength it is different and I am sure that whatever words she wants to use are helping her get through.  Another tattoo that I always remembered was from someone that lost a baby, pretty certain it was Potters.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • She didn't ask if she should get one, she asked where.  If you are not a fan of tattoos, why post?  Anyway, I have two in between my shoulders and one tiny one on my hip.  They were not painful for me.  I really want one on my foot with the kids names, but I fear the pain there. 
  • imageghm:
    Let me guess: you tattoo disapprovers don't drink and look down heavily upon people who cuss. You probably call it "using language." Am I right? I am, I know it. Lame!

I.love.you.

~Lisa
  • imageJamaica_Bride:

imageghm:
    Let me guess: you tattoo disapprovers don't drink and look down heavily upon people who cuss. You probably call it "using language." Am I right? I am, I know it. Lame!

I.love.you.

What I want to know is: why were they on the bump instead of at the local Southern Baptist church? It was Sunday morning! 

• Giggle. I hate judgy people. They're just haters because we're pretty Wink

WM- I love that tattoo! If *I* were *YOU* I would get that in white on my inner wrist. Fuckit I would get it in black. You goddamn earned it.

It speaks volumes and I'd want to see it as a constant reminder. I feel on your back-you'd forget it was there.

I dig this...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40408391@N07/5137105815/in/pool-whiteinktattoos

~Lisa
  • I love the way the white ink looks.
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.
  • imagewarrior*mom:
    imageJumperoo:
    imageTheMamaBird:
    imageJ&A2008:

This 

I think your tattoo should say "I may be cheap, but I a'int free" . What? It has meaning? lol

That's cool. I never claimed to not be "cheap" though. Stick out tongue

• imageBubblyToes:
    I love the way the white ink looks.

me too...and I would also put it somewhere you could look at it every day! 

Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • imageJamaica_Bride:

ITA with this.

I'm late to the party, but I have a tattoo in between my shoulder blades.  It hurt very much to get, but I don't have any fat there and it goes across my spine.  I can hide it very easily, but show it with the right clothes.  (Like today, I'm wearing a spaghetti strap sundress and it shows clearly).

I got my tattoo a week after my m/c.  My m/c was terribly painful, both emotionally and physically.  My tattoo is extremely symbolic, as in each piece represents something specific.  

My favorite late-night talk show host got a tattoo about the same time I did.  He went on The View to promote his book and was a little anxious about showing his tattoo to the ladies.  When someone said, "I just don't like that," he replied in a sweet voice, "That's okay.  It isn't for you, it is for me."  I use that as my response if anyone gives me grief about mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"