Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

waking up for bottle... help!

okay so Lo hasen't been the greatest sleeper but usually would wake up for a bottle around 6hrs after going to bed and then sleep a few hrs more. now he wants to eat after about 4hrs and then will wake up again a few hrs later and want more.

ex.. last night he went to bed at 7:30 had a 7oz bottle before bed and then was up at 11:30 i tried to get him back to sleep but he wouldn't go, and i usually give him an 8 oz bottle around 4-5 so i gave him that bottle when he woke up at 11:30 and he ate the whole thing and went back to sleep, and then at 4:30 he was up again and i gave him 2 oz to see if he would sleep longer and he never fell asleep he was up for the day. he drinks from his sippy all day he usually only has a bottle before bed and another between 4-5 unless he sleeps longer . but now i don't know what to do. Last week i tried letting him CIO and he screamed for a whole hour non stop except for a few short moments and then i gave in got him a bottle and he went to sleep within minutes. please help.

oh and i know he is teething too which could be why he is waking up but i hate to give him motrin every single night so i try and give it only when he is in alot of pain. wwyd??

PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: waking up for bottle... help!

• I would let him CIO or comfort in other ways.  There's no reason for him to need MOTN bottles at this age.  You can offer a sippy of water if you think he might be thirsty but that's probably not even the case.  He knows that if he cries long enough he gets a bottle.  As far as Motrin - if he needs it give it to him.  I know you don't want to do it every day but it is safe as long as it's used as instructed and there's no reason to have him be in pain if there's something that can help.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• DD usually likes to wake to nurse still, but I think it's comfort only. 

Have you tried giving more solids before bed?  DD sleept better when we feed her some solids or purees before bed.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't start giving another motn bottle. You could try the Motrin and see if it stops the waking. You could give a bottle of water--this works with my DS.
  • this was us up till she was 11 months old when we finally had to let her CIO which was beyond hard but necessary, i think. we went in to lay her back down and tell her we loved her in 5, 10, 15 minute increments... the first night the crying went on for an hour, second night about 50 minutes, third night about 20 minutes and by the fourth night she STTN. she does still typically wake between 4 and 5 every morning and gets a bottle, but that's cuz we have to be out the door by 6 so what's the point in making her CIO when she has to be up by 530 anyway? on weekends when she wakes and gets a bottle, she typically will go back to sleep for another hour or so. she's handled teethign pretty well thus far (only have given motrin once or twice)...
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lbi21lbi21 member

DD also still wakes up for a bottle usually around 5.  I agree with PP, b/c we get up during the week by 6:45-7:00 so when she wakes we giver her a bottle.  On weekends she will go back til about 8:00. 

I haven't tried to let her CIO but I might when I am on vacation from work.  The idea to give a little bedtime snack night be helpful too!  Maybe some cereal or fruit.  Also I giver her a 9 oz bottle at bedtime usually be/w 9:30-10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"