Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding and drinking

the subject came up recently and it made me wonder what other moms felt about it. Do you think it's a good idea or should it be avoided?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding and drinking

• With DD my pediatrician and lactation consultant both went with the theory that if you were sober enough to drive you were good to breastfeed.  I will follow the same guidelines this time around.  I usually had a drink right after a feeding session to make sure I was good by the time of the next one.  I can't wait for the first drink on the patio after LO arrives.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The LC suggested drinking dark beer (only one or so) because it helps with milk production.  She said the best time to drink was actually while your LO was feeding so that way it won't be in your system during that feed or next.  I had half of a dark beer once but I felt weird so I haven't had one since but it was sooo tasty.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's a good idea because it keeps me sane. 9 months of abstaining was long enough.

So far, I've only had one drink (or less than one) at a time. LO still eats unpredictably. But that one beer tastes so very sweet.

• I typically have 2 good beers on Friday night when we go out for dinner.  I always feed DS before we go but I dont get drunk anyway so he is fine to nurse when we get home too.  I have no problem with it. 
  • I will have one drink and still feed LO.
  • imagetokenhoser:

It's a good idea because it keeps me sane. 9 months of abstaining was long enough.

:-) This exactly!

I don't see a problem with it.  As long as you are responsible and know your limit so you can feed your LO, you are fine.   

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely let myself enjoy 1 or 2 drinks, I think it is fine.

I can tell you from past experience with DS, that a big night out (ie lots more than 1 or 2 drinks) is the quickest way to burn through your freezer stash of pumped milk the next day.  I was always worried about residual alcohol when I was hungover and didn't want to risk nursing, so I would have to pump (and dump- since I suspected there might still be alcohol in the milk) and give bottles from my fridge/freezer stash.  Not good.

If you are really worried about it, they sell alcohol detection strips that you can test your milk with.  They are pricey though.  I have seen them at BRU in the BF'ing supplies aisle.

• imageToBeMrsC6907:

I can tell you from past experience with DS, that a big night out (ie lots more than 1 or 2 drinks) is the quickest way to burn through your freezer stash of pumped milk the next day.  I was always worried about residual alcohol when I was hungover and didn't want to risk nursing, so I would have to pump (and dump- since I suspected there might still be alcohol in the milk) and give bottles from my fridge/freezer stash.  Not good.

Were you still intoxicated the next day?  If you weren't, then the alcohol wasn't in the BM anymore.  Your body metabolizes it out of the milk as it does your body.  If its the next day and you have a headache and are feeling hungover but aren't drunk then there is no need to dump. It would have killed me to throw out good milk!

to the OP:  I have a beer or two a couple of nights a week.  I go by the rule that if I am good to drive I am good to BF.   

• imagelucylea:
    With DD my pediatrician and lactation consultant both went with the theory that if you were sober enough to drive you were good to breastfeed.  I will follow the same guidelines this time around.  I usually had a drink right after a feeding session to make sure I was good by the time of the next one.  I can't wait for the first drink on the patio after LO arrives.  

This is what I go by.  I don't even drink that much but a glass of wine on occasion.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"