June 2011 Moms

Doctor "catching" baby

I really don't understand this concept now.   After watching 1 million Baby Story shows and hearing all the stories, what is the purpose of waiting for the doctor to "catch the baby" when the nurses are doing most of the work?  I've even seen situations where nurses have had to tell patients to stop pushing to just simply wait for the doctor to come catch the baby.

Is there some type of safety issue with this?  Why aren't doctors typically there for the whole process?  

It just seems like a cheap end of the stick kind of deal in my opinion.  My mom used to be in ob/gyn as a nurse and I know the nurses have to be extremely knowledgeable for these situations.  They should get listed for delivering your baby!

Anthony Javier will be here soon!
BabyFruit Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Doctor "catching" baby

• The nurses probably wouldn't want to because of liability issues, they are not insured for delivering babies if something goes wrong like a shoulder dystocia or placental abruption. With that said, I got to deliver several babies on my OB rotation as a PA student which I still find surprising, however there was always an attending in the room with me to be there as back up if something went wrong.
  • imagebabyduejune:
    The nurses probably wouldn't want to because of liability issues, they are not insured for delivering babies if something goes wrong like a shoulder dystocia or placental abruption. With that said, I got to deliver several babies on my OB rotation as a PA student which I still find surprising, however there was always an attending in the room with me to be there as back up if something went wrong.

This, I'm pretty sure it's a liability issue, however my Dr was there the entire time I pushed (all of 10 minutes) so maybe it just depends on the hospital, or the Dr weather or not they want to be there for the whole delivery or just the end part. Or if the Dr is in the middle of delivering another baby at the time the nurses can get you started pushing, since sometimes it takes awhile.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Loading the player...
  • OB nurses do catch babies when MDs don't make it to deliveries...I've delivered several.  However, it's not our job.  We don't have the malpractice insurance to cover it, the skills to handle some of the complications, or the paycheck to pay us for it. Smile  ANYBODY can catch a baby in a normal, complication-free delivery.  It's with shoulder dystocias, face presentations, unexpected breech deliveries, or a tight cord around the neck that needs to be cut before delivery that you kind of want an MD there (just for a few examples).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageactresscye:

I really don't understand this concept now.   After watching 1 million Baby Story shows and hearing all the stories, what is the purpose of waiting for the doctor to "catch the baby" when the nurses are doing most of the work?  I've even seen situations where nurses have had to tell patients to stop pushing to just simply wait for the doctor to come catch the baby.

Is there some type of safety issue with this?  Why aren't doctors typically there for the whole process?  

It just seems like a cheap end of the stick kind of deal in my opinion.  My mom used to be in ob/gyn as a nurse and I know the nurses have to be extremely knowledgeable for these situations.  They should get listed for delivering your baby!

LOL you must have just finished watching the same episode I did of a baby story at 8:00. Yea telling a laboring woman not to push...ouch! :(

• NEVER thought of the liability issue.  I bet if I asked my mom about this now she would probably say exactly what you said.  It just threw me off a bit that there are so many situations with "waiting" for the doctor to finalize the delivery.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Anthony Javier will be here soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • In Germany where I live it is the exact opposite: the midwife MUST deliver the baby. Doctors aren't legally permitted to do the actual delivery (unless it is a c-section, of course). But since the midwife stays in the room with you throughout the last dialation period, there is no waiting.

• lynn97lynn97 member
    imageTswinson:
    imageactresscye:

LOL you must have just finished watching the same episode I did of a baby story at 8:00. Yea telling a laboring woman not to push...ouch! :(

I was just thinking the same thing. "Oh, I see the head!! Now we'll need to call the doctor to come FROM HOME to deliver this baby." I would've been pissed!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"