Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

The great milk war (clicky poll)

So, DS turns 1 next week. DH and I started him a tiny bit early onto Vit. D whole milk, mostly 1/2 formula 1/2 milk to transition him to milk.

Now he's drinking 8oz morning bottle, and 8oz night-time bottle, with meals inbetween. My husband's niece has a daughter who is about 18mo, and WILL NOT shut up about the amount of milk we're giving him.

From everything I've researched and read, 1 year old it is perfectly fine to drink 16oz daily whole milk. She keeps telling me its going to block his iron absorption, and I should only give him 4oz a day.

I go in and talk to the Pedi on Wednesday...but I want to hear what you think.

[Poll]

Re: The great milk war (clicky poll)

• You should prob add a 12-16 oz one b/c that is what I suspect a lot of ppl would answer...

• Why did you lump organic and soy together? Seems like an odd thing to do.
  • Loading the player...
  • Around 16 ounces. Fat is still really important for brain development at this age.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSusieQ1982:
    Why did you lump organic and soy together? Seems like an odd thing to do.

it also has nothing to do with quantity so I was confused by that. TB only lets you pick one thing- your question seemed to be more about quantity? 

• My son drinks 16oz organic whole milk every day. I was worried at first because he is a larger child and thought he should drink less, but the pedi said until he is 2, that amount is what he needs. He loves his milk Smile
  • DS is 17 mo and gets like 20 oz of whole, organic milk per day. His pedi is not concerned except to say that if he drinks any more he probably won't eat much food and to cut back if needed to het him to eat mote food.
  • Our pedi didn't tell us a specific number of ounces. Just to give him milk with every meal which is what we do. If I had to guess I'd say he gets about 12-16oz.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know they say not to give too much milk, as it can interfere with eating, but I think that means downing 30 oz a day.  I think somewhere in the teens in normal.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• imagegroovygrl:

imageSusieQ1982:
    Why did you lump organic and soy together? Seems like an odd thing to do.

it also has nothing to do with quantity so I was confused by that. TB only lets you pick one thing- your question seemed to be more about quantity? 

This.  I really wasn't sure what to choose.  But to answer your question, I think the amount your giving him is probably fine.  DD is almost two and drinks about 14 oz. per day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS is a great eater and he still has 16 oz whole milk per day (organic) - he routinely will take his morning 8 oz bottle then eat two eggs with cheese and some fruit.  He takes another 8 oz before he goes to bed (after he eats dinner which is equally as large as breakfast).  My pedi told me at the 18 month appointment with DD that it is important for them to still be drinking a lot of milk for the calcium and fats.  DD still drinks probably 16 oz milk per day (harder to tell in a sippy).
  • My pedi advised to give her around 16 oz a day when L turned 1. Now at 20 months, she gets 10-12 oz per day. She has 8 in the morning, and 2-4 at night. Once in a while a little more.

• My pedi says under 20 oz, and we do about 16-20 oz a day.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • After 1 year of age, children need two 8oz. servings of dairy a day. - so, 16oz is perfectly fine.

eta:  for the calcium and vit. D - 

• My answer does not appear.  100% of the time, we use organic milk.  DD only drinks about 8 oz. a day, generally not interested in much more than that, and that's been the case since we went to milk. 
    Photobucket
    My two angels

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS gets 12-16oz of organic whole milk a day. I thought they should get a minimum of 12oz a day and no more than 24oz.
  • llc730llc730 member
    Our pedi said no more than 24 oz as long as she is eatting okay. We give DD 16-18 oz a day. T
  • We just had our 15 month appt. and the pedi said 16-20 oz. a day.  
  • DS drinks around 16-20 oz of organic whole milk daily. Sometimes more if he asks for it/drinks it all. I don't mind giving him as much as he will drink since he is very under weight and usually doesn't eat very much.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do 16 ounces of WCM per day, but we might offer a little less on days when he has other dairy like yogurt or cheese.  I wouldn't exceed 16 ounces per day because then he would eat less of other foods that he needs.
  • J+MSJ+MS member
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • I don't remember what the exact oz's are, but my pedi told me 3 - 4 servings per day. Servings aren't necessarily always milk though. It can be cheese or yogurt, which in the beginning was all DD would eat. 

Keep in mind that they need the milk fat for their brain development, so it's not just for the calcium. I'm sure your pedi will do an iron test soon, so you can ease your mind about it affecting iron absorption.   

• i actually never measured how much they drink. the have always liked the toss-and-take straw sippes that dont tell you know many oz you fill. sometimes i fill them all the way up, sometimes only a third (i dont even think about it). i offer it 2x a day, sometimes they drink the whole thing and want more, sometimes they take one sip and that's it.  i dont think it matters, especially since they eat a lot of cottage cheese, yogurt and healthy fats.  the whole milk thing is overrated, IMO.  its just about a healthy diet with ample calcium, protein and fat sources.

all that said, we mostly drink organic valley 2%. sometimes i will buy whole foods 365 (non-organic) or local (non-organic) and they also love almond milk so sometimes if they want seconds, i give almond milk instead to switch it up.

• My son drinks 16-20 oz of whole milk a day plus table food.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • At 1, DS was drinking 20-24 oz. Now he drinks 16oz a day. The boy LOVES milk, he would drink more if I let him.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My LO drinks 24+ oz a milk per day.  He has a cup first thing in the AM, and at least two more at day care.  His pedi doesn't have an issue with it, he is a pretty good eater, and he gets some water in as well.  He does not drink an evening bottle.  He is only in the 25% of weight, so I don't limit his intake of anything (except for meat!).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine prob drinks about 20-24 oz of Organic whole milk.  He is off the charts for weight so he can drink as much as he likes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My girl is allergic to milk and soy but she drinks about 20 oz of rice milk a day.

• Our pedi said 16-24 oz of 2% or whole milk per day. We choose to do organic milk.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was told 16 - 24 oz is ok as long as he is eating well. Matthew eats three balanced meals & two snack a day. His milk intake fluctuates but stays around 20 oz. He mostly drinks it inbetween meals.
  • DS drinks a lot of milk, always organic whole milk. He doesn't drink ANY water or juice. He won't touch the stuff.  I'd say he drinks about 30 ounces a day. We have been on the sippy cup battle until yesterday (Thank God for NUK).  I'm trying to get him to drink a little bit less milk but I love milk and I drink a lot too.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imageJ+MS:

What the ...?

• broomybroomy member
    Our pedi said 16 - 20 oz. a day. We choose to give him only organic whole milk. He also gets three meals and two to three snacks each day.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageMCC1010:

imageJ+MS:

What the ...?

I thought I was so tired I was imagining this.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • I'm still nursing DS several times a day (I nurse him on demand, so I'd say anywhere from 6-8 times per 24 hours including overnight), so I haven't really pushed the whole WCM thing.  The few times he has tried it, he's spit it out at me.  I give him Almond Milk, which he likes.  He gets dairy through cheese and yogurt.  But, to be honest, cows milk kinda grosses me out and I'm not really sold on the idea that I need to push it on DS...
  • imageMCC1010:

imageJ+MS:

What the ...?

My thoughts exactly.  I don't get it... 

• 16-24 oz a day of milk is appropriate!

DD was anemic at one because she was drinking too much milk. At the time she was drinking 28-30 oz a day and not eating a lot of table food. She has food aversions because of severe reflux and is very texture sensitive.

At 19 months she take 3 bottles a day of whole milk (lactaid). Our ped told us to drop one bottle when she turns 2. She is doing much better eating table food but still eats some purees (plum organic pouches). 

• Hey thanks a ton, everyone. I feel a lot better- my mother's intuition said he was getting enough/not too much, but my (kind of a pushy) niece made me second-guess myself.
    sorry about the clicky... I realized once I started it that I had too many options on my hands ;)
    I don't post often, usually just for stuff really weighing on my mind.
    thanks again!!!!
  • My pedi said 14-16 oz of milk (not specifically whole milk, but a milk with comparative fat/calcium/protein - we chose almond), with additional oz of water every day. 
  • Didn't answer as the options seem odd to me. My LO drinks organic whole milk with DHA added. Her amount varies on the day and I don't measure ounces. She drinks what she drinks (as long as she is hydrated and gets enough calcium...)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I read somewhere that its supposed to be 24 oz a day of dairy which includes yogurt and cheeses (naturally)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"