Baby Names

should I really let me 2 yr. old neice pick the name!

My two year old niece believes that I am having a baby girl everytime we ask her its the same story. Baby girl and her name is Nala/Nahla...Should we really consider the name? The scary thing is, I dont hate the name but it reminds me of the lion king??? Advice please...

Re: should I really let me 2 yr. old neice pick the name!

• It reminds me of the lion king too, but if you like the name, go for it. It could be a MN.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I actually like it, it's sort of pretty.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • You should only "let" her pick the name if you happen to love the name and want to use it for your child- then let her believe she chose it, if you want.

FWIW, I really like Nahla/Nala. I like Nola too.

• Well, she's 2. She probably has a Lion King book with a baby Nahla in it. She's too young to have any memory of this.

If you like the name, then use it. But if you choose a different name, just tell her "The baby's name is ____" and she'll understand and start using that name. 

My nephews wanted to name the most recent baby in our family "Buzz Lightyear." There's a reason we, as adults, have veto power. ;)

• Heck yes, your niece has wonderful taste in names. 
  • i think it's a cute name! if you like it there's nothing wrong with considering it.
  • No, I wouldn't let my two year old niece name my daughter. She's only really naming your child after a character in The Lion King. Next week she might want you to name your child Cinderella.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imageTheNextWest:
    FWIW, I really like Nahla/Nala. I like Nola too.

OMG, I love Nola. It's beautiful. I can't get DH to warm up to it. ;)

Anyhow, in reference to the OP, if you love the name Nala/Nahla, go for it. I think it's beautiful. It reminds me of Halle Berry's daughter more than it does "The Lion King."

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    alexander patrick : bfp 1.16.12, born 9.20.12 @ 39w1d, 7 lbs./11 oz./22 in.
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • This reminds me of a few weeks ago when a very, very drunk woman I didn't know was rubbing my belly and saying "It's a GIRL and her name is PENNY and she'll be born on OCTOBER 28th, just like meeeee."  

So, should I let her pick the name?  :)

If you like the name and it works for you, go for it.  Otherwise, it's no different than a drunk woman you don't know at a wedding. 

James Alistair - October 2, 2011

• I like Nala but I love Nola.  Then I named my cat that- should have thought that one through a bit more.

I actually named her because of Nala.  She had stripes which reminded me of a tiger but I couldn't think of any names that reminded me of that so then I thought of the Lion King but decided I like Nola more.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think it's a good idea to let children name other children:

Example 1: my friend growing up was allowed to name her sister.  She picked a made up name that rhymed with her own.

Example 2: My cousin was allowed to name her little brother.  He's named after a character in a Disney movie.

Example 3:  We asked my coworker what we should name my baby if the baby is a boy.  He picked his own name.

The point of this is, young children have very little exposure to names, so the ones they pick aren't necessarily good choices I'd want my child to grow up with.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageblu-eyedwife:

I don't think it's a good idea to let children name other children:

Example 1: my friend growing up was allowed to name her sister.  She picked a made up name that rhymed with her own.

Example 2: My cousin was allowed to name her little brother.  He's named after a character in a Disney movie.

Example 3:  We asked my coworker what we should name my baby if the baby is a boy.  He picked his own name.

The point of this is, young children have very little exposure to names, so the ones they pick aren't necessarily good choices I'd want my child to grow up with.

One of my brothers was named after a Babysitters Club book character because of me.  

DD: 04/09 TTC#2 since 10/09 Dx: PCOS w/IR M/c #1: 07/10 M/c #2: 09/10 M/c #3: 03/11
  • My sister-in-law's niece is named Georgia because her older sister was dead set on having a baby sister named Gigi so  the parents picked a name that Gigi could be a nickname for. They actually called her Gigi as a baby, but now she mostly goes by Georgia.

I am not fond of the name Nahla, but I do love Nola. Kind of an alternative to Nora and is also a nickname for Finola which is a name I love.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • I like the name Nahla. 

Yes- it is a name from the Lion King, but Halle Berry's daughter shares the name, so it isn't like you are naming your daughter "Princess Jasmine."

Go with what you like...regardless of where it came from.

image. image. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"