3rd Trimester

Cord Blood Banking

I'm so undecided about this. I'd love to see who is doing it, and below if you would be so kind, indicate your reasons for or against it. Thanks!

[Poll]
Married 7/19/09
MC 9/8/10
Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Cord Blood Banking

• I'm not as there's no local or even state bank here to even take a donation (we would have donated if there were one) and the chances of our baby being able to even use his own blood in a private bank are so insanely scarce that it's just not worth it.  It just strikes me as the companies are banking on our fears. 
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Loading the player...
  • Too expensive. If we happen to have the opportunity to donate, we will, but can't justify the annual cost for something we might not even need or be able to use should there be a problem (cord blood is not a silver bullet, unfortunately.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I said yes but we are donating. The blood only lasts 1-5 years and we honestly don't have the spare 1500 to privately bank the blood.
  • imageKvitale87:
    I said yes but we are donating. The blood only lasts 1-5 years and we honestly don't have the spare 1500 to privately bank the blood.

Where did you get the 1-5 years info? That is incorrect. It can be stored for at least 10 years, and likely longer. 

• We are donating ours.
  • Nope. I would rather put the 2.5-3K into a college fund for my child. I feel like the technology isn't quite there yet ... you're banking on the hope that they will make substantial advances that will allow your child to use its own cord blood. It's a risk game ... and realistically, the chances of your child being affected by one of the rare treatable diseases with his/her own cord blood is very slim. Also, too many "x-factors" ... no private banking service I've spoken to can guarantee that, even if your child could hypothetically be treated with his/her own blood, that there's any type of insurance/guarantee that the blood would be in a usable condition at that point. 
  • I voted no to banking it for ourselves but we will likely donate it. I agree with PP that it seems fairly unlikely that we'd actually need it for ourselves anyway, but if someone else can use it, then why not. It's free to donate. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagestarz57182:
    I voted no to banking it for ourselves but we will likely donate it. I agree with PP that it seems fairly unlikely that we'd actually need it for ourselves anyway, but if someone else can use it, then why not. It's free to donate. 
    This.
    The Blog

Dinner.Hard life?

The brothers I Rule and OMG! with their faithful sidekickFootFoot.

imageimageimage

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  • I'm not going to store my baby's cord blood. Mainly because my family cannot afford it. But also because I don't think that it's necessary, and like one of the earlier posters wrote, I think it's a shame how this companies are banking on the fears of women.
    pregnancy calendar BabyName Ticker
  • I spoke to my OB about it and in the reading that I have done there is no need for banking unless you have a family history of diseases that would require stem cells  ( or bone marrow) for treatment.

We are not banking ours, but looking at options to donate to research or public bank. There are compelling reasons to bank but the price at this point outweighs the benefits for us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • We are not banking and are delaying cord clamping. I was going to donate but our hospital does not do cord blood donations so I want our baby to get all the health benefits of her own blood that we can give.

• We donated with our DS and will for this LO too.  We are fortunate to be able to afford it, so I see no reason not to.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagekatiewhompus:

We are not banking and are delaying cord clamping. I was going to donate but our hospital does not do cord blood donations so I want our baby to get all the health benefits of her own blood that we can give.

This is us too.  Donation is not an option at our hospital. 

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • I didn't the first time around becasue of the cost.  4 months ago my 2 year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  We have no family history of type 1.  There are clinical studies going on right now to cure type 1.  Hopefully my babies are a match and my 2 year will be cured by her sister's cord blood.  My biggest lesson learned is never think that you are invincible. 
  • Jumping over::

We did bank both our DD's cord blood.  We actually know a couple that used their baby's cord blood after an accident.  He was part of a Duke study, and he is now 100% great now.  I look at it just like insurance. 

• we're donating...it's too expensive to private bank, and if someone else could use it i would like them too...it's good karma :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetammyg125:
    I didn't the first time around becasue of the cost.  4 months ago my 2 year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  We have no family history of type 1.  There are clinical studies going on right now to cure type 1.  Hopefully my babies are a match and my 2 year will be cured by her sister's cord blood.  My biggest lesson learned is never think that you are invincible. 

Sorry that you're going through this ! On the upside there is a lesson to be learned! I'd rather be safe than sorry! So yes - we are banking again - and the cost with cryo-cell is do-able...especially on their payment plan.

• We'd like to donate, but I haven't remembered to ask my midwife if my hospital supports that yet.
  • Mom was diagnosed with Leukemia in February-wasn't even something that runs in the family.  They're using stem cells to treat diabetes, which is heavy on all sides of the family.  We are using Cord Blood Registry, which is national.  When you deliver, you call a messenger number provided by them and someone picks up your kit within 2-4 hours and ships to their facility.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I work for Americord Registry and we have better pricing for cord blood banking than our competitors. Please see https://cordadvantage.com/product-comparison.html for a pricing comparison.
  • We are private banking the cord blood and cord tissue.  My thought was, I spent $3,000 on my sofa, why wouldn't I spend it on this?  Also, my uncle and best friend's father, who are both Drs told us to do it, if it could help anyone in our family, better safe than sorry.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• I get so many ads/emails about cord blood banking. My husband and I are interested in banking our baby's cord blood but have no idea which company is the best, most reputable, etc. Can anyone suggest a good place to learn more? Thanks! :)
  • Check out Cord Blood Advantage. www.cordbloodadvantage.com. Great site. If you use their cord blood bank comparison tool, you can find out which cord blood banks match up to your preferences. It's free and fast.

All other sites make learning more very confusing.

Parents Guide is another good one. It has a ton of information but is more confusing.

• Thanks for the tip NewDad! I checked out cord blood advantage. So easy to use! We decided to use CBR. :)
  • We are considering Alphacord..great prices starting as low as around $95 for 9 months depending on the lab chosen  $115 year storage fees there after my friends have used them and loved them..great customer service..they DONT pay a doctors referral...I dont think we can pass this up..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"