Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Looks like induction tomorrow is happening :-(

Looks like I'll be calling the hospital tomorrow at 4pm to see if I can go in at 7pm (hoping to push back to 9pm so I can put DD down to bed).  When Dr. and I talked about this last week, I honestly didn't think I'd need to worry about it- but now it's here and I can't believe it. 

The anticipation of not knowing what to expect is killing me.  They will do Cervadil tomorrow night and Pitocin Monday morning, if needed. 

If any of you were induced, did you have to stay overnight in the hospital?  A friend of ours got to go home, but I didn't think that was an option.  Did DH stay overnight that first night with you?  Did the Cervadil start things up for you, or did you have to get Pitocin? 

Thanks for any last-minute advice, info, etc!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Christmas PJ's! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Looks like induction tomorrow is happening :-(

• Hey! Congrats...you will soon have a new LO!

I was induced with DD. We went into the hospital on Friday night at 7:00 pm, I believe. They gave me the cervadil (they insert a flat tampon-like thing that has the meds) that night. My DH stayed overnight with me, but if I was induced in the future, I think I would be okay without him there. I basically slept that night as much as I could. The nurses would come in from time to time to check on me and the monitor. They helped me to the bathroom a few times since I had an IV. The next morning I took a quick shower and then they started the pitocin. I had progressed a bit with the cervadil - I was barely dialated when I was admited, so it did help. They started the pitocin in the morning. I personally had a very nice induction! I've heard people complain about pitocin (even to me the night before I went in for the induction), but it didn't seem like a big deal to me! :) I mean, I know I don't know any different, but I just felt like I was in labor! :) Good luck with everything! Like I said, my labor went really well! Congrats again!

• Thank you so much for your encouraging words!  Definitely makes it better knowing there are positive experiences out there!!  I guess I'll see how things start out and maybe send DH home.  Especially since I don't think they have cots/beds at all in the L&D rooms- just uncomfortable chairs from what he reminded me from last time.  Haha.

I'm already 2cm, so I guess I'm hopeful seeing you made progress on Cervadil alone- maybe that will be enough to move things along- I guess we'll see!!

Thanks again!!

• Loading the player...
  • I was induced with my DD. I checked in on a Wednesday night, they gave me the Cytotec and my contrax started on their own at like 4AM Thursday. Pit was started at 7AM and DD was born just after 4PM. My stepmom came with me to check in, I stayed the night alone and the next morning both of my parents came in when they started the pitocin. (EX was in jail at the time of the birth.) Honestly, the night was uneventful so I'd probably let SO stay home with LO1 and come in the next morning.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • imageAshleyMichelle06:
    I was induced with my DD. I checked in on a Wednesday night, they gave me the Cytotec and my contrax started on their own at like 4AM Thursday. Pit was started at 7AM and DD was born just after 4PM. My stepmom came with me to check in, I stayed the night alone and the next morning both of my parents came in when they started the pitocin. (EX was in jail at the time of the birth.) Honestly, the night was uneventful so I'd probably let SO stay home with LO1 and come in the next morning.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!  Sounds like I'll just have DH stay with me to check in, get settled, and go from there.  :-)

• I was induced with my DD at 37 weeks cause her heart rate dropped. They just started me off with pitocin. I arrived at the hospital around 6pm and had my daughter by 2am. It wasn't bad at all, just felt like I was in labor. It went really fast and smooth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was induced.  I went in at 7 and got first cervadil around 8. I did stay over night.  Cramps started around 10, I forget when I got the second done, maybe 2am?  At 8 am I was supposed to get a third dose, but I didn't need it so I started Pit.  DH stayed with me the whole time. 

No real advice, but congrats!  

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I was induced at 36 weeks 6 days and my labor was loooooong. Cervadil and cytotec did nothing for me so I ended up having to get a foley bulb to start dialating. I was contracting on my own but did need the pit too. It wasn't ideal and it was an exhausting 2 days of labor but in the end it was worth it. I really wanted a vaginal delivery and that's what I got.
    MC 4/09 at 6w2d 
    Rainbow Jude 
    born: 12/31/09
    Pre-E Induction at 36w4d
    11 Day NICU stay due to GBS infection

TTC#2 10/2010
    M/C: 4/09/11 5w
    CP: 12/26/2011 
    CP: 1/28/2012 
    MMC: 4/16/2012 at 11w2d 
    Ectopic: 6/25/2012 MTX 07/03/12
    CP 11/24/2012 
    Rainbow Violet 
    born: 9/11/13

All ALers welcome! 
  • I was induced at just over 41 weeks and everything went great!  It just took awhile thanks to stubborn baby.  I was given Pitocin on Monday night and nothing. I was given cervidil on Tuesday during the day and nothing. Then I got more Pitocin on Tuesday night and my DS was finally born Wednesday afternoon.  I think I have all of the names of what they did correct.  At that point, I just wanted them to do whatever. I was tired of moms coming in and having their babies while I was sitting there waiting and having contractions. It was like that episode of Friends.

Anyway, my H did stay with me, but this was when it was just he and I. It may be different now that we have DS#1, but hopefully, my water will break at home at exactly 40 weeks and we will rush off to the hosp just like in the movies. I can hope, right? I def. did enjoy having him there with me. He makes me feel better.

Good luck and congrats!!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Unless it is medically necessary you don't have to be induced just bc you are a few days 'late."  EDD are not exact they are estimates and can be off, as can u/s weight estimates.  The average gestational age for a woman to spontaneously go into labor is 41 weeks 1 day.
  • I was induced at 41w 1d due to high blood pressure. I was really nervous about the induction, but it went very smoothly.
    8pm checked in
    10pm first dose of cytotec inserted
    12am (I think) second dose inserted
    3am water broke on its own
    6am epidural
    8am pitocin started b/c natural contractions petered out
    1pm 10cm, started pushing
    2:58pm DD was born!
    Good luck! I hope it goes very smoothly for you!
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • nealblnealbl member
    It is very exciting. I was induced at 7pm Wednesday night with cervadil. I have heard that some people were allowed to go home on it but I was told I had to lay on my back for 2 hours with it in. 9 months pregnant having to pee every 10 min, not too much fun to lay on your back for 2 hours. My LO's heart rate sped up so they took it out early. It did get things going though. Contractions started got intense pretty fast. Pitocin started at about 5 in the morning on Thursday followed by epidural at 7am and doc breaking water at 7:30am. It all ended in Emergency C-Section at 9:30 am. I was told ahead of time though that Csection was a very real possibility so I wasn't totally shocked when it happened. I had a big big baby!!!
  • I was induced because my water broke and I wasn't progressing at all on my own.  I only had pitocin and it took a long time before I started progressing.  They got me all worried about having a c-section and then boom I started progressing really fast.  My labor in total was about 27 hours.  I had an epidural and didn't really feel contractions at all.  I had really bad back pain but that's about it.  I slept through as much as I could which is my advice to you.  Your body needs time to let the medicine work so if you can relax and go to sleep do it.  My DH is a cop and had just worked all night when we went to the hospital so he slept on the sofa bed next to me most of the day.  Have a safe and healthy delivery and birth!
  • imagetwirler324:

imageAshleyMichelle06:
    I was induced with my DD. I checked in on a Wednesday night, they gave me the Cytotec and my contrax started on their own at like 4AM Thursday. Pit was started at 7AM and DD was born just after 4PM. My stepmom came with me to check in, I stayed the night alone and the next morning both of my parents came in when they started the pitocin. (EX was in jail at the time of the birth.) Honestly, the night was uneventful so I'd probably let SO stay home with LO1 and come in the next morning.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!  Sounds like I'll just have DH stay with me to check in, get settled, and go from there.  :-)

I just saw this.  And I am angry for you.  I can't believe that your doctor would induce you w/Cytotec, a drug that is contraindicated for pregnant women.  If you look at the product insert it actually has a picture of a pregnant women with a giant red x through it.  This drug can lead to uterine rupture and even maternal and fetal death.  It is not supposed to ever, ever be used for inductions!  Some hospitals love this drug bc it is cheap but it is cheap bc they never did clinical trials on pregnant women!

• cbntjcbntj member
    I had a pretty fast induction. I went in at 10pm, was supposed to get cervidal but when my OB checked me I was all the way thinned out so they decided to just do pitocin. Started pit at midnight and my contractions came hard and fast. Epidural at 4:30am at 3cm, 10cm at 7am and LO born at 8. All in all i was really happy with it. There is no way I would send DH home, you never know what could happen.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • imagetwirler324:

If any of you were induced, did you have to stay overnight in the hospital?  A friend of ours got to go home, but I didn't think that was an option.  Did DH stay overnight that first night with you?  Did the Cervadil start things up for you, or did you have to get Pitocin? 

Thanks for any last-minute advice, info, etc!

I was induced, they told us my hubbie could go home after they put in the cervadil so he left and I could get some sleep....hrs later i was contracting so bad and too close together they had to quickly get it out... I def got nervous and wished my hubby was there, i called him and he ended up driving back in the middle of the night! In the am they started Pitocin and didnt progress enough so ended up w an C section!

Im sure all that won't happen for you but I would keep my hubby close by and Im pretty sure thety make you stick around for monitoring. Good Luck!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"