Natural Birth

UPDATE!!Induction this Monday and Pissed

Since my Dr wasnt on call this weekend, I had to call the hospital and leave a message with the very friendly nurse. She found the dr, told him I wouldnt bethere tomorrow and all is good! I do have to meet with him tomorrow to discuss exactly what I want...which I feel like weve been over already, but ill just have to remind him. Im so relieved. Ill update tomorrow! Thanks for everyones encouragement and comments.

So this is #3 for DH and I. I do not get epidurals and I do not want to be induced at all. The fluid around the baby is perfect, my BP is perfect and there is no reason to induce me except the Dr keeps telling me that its not safe to go past 41 weeks. If he's inducing me Monday, that makes it 40 weeks and 6 days to be correct. He wants me at the hospital at 5 am...which is crazy early for a person like me, then he will break my water and give me 6 hours from then until he starts pitocin. Im furious btw. He is refusing to let m go any longer than 6 hours. Ive had 2 perfect deliveries before and I dont see a medical reason for being induced other than Monday is the day he is at the hospital doing surgeries and other unnecessary inductions. Hes noton call this weekend but DH and I are going to try to track him down at the hospital before Monday and tell him we cant let this happen unless we have a valid reason. Have any of you ladies gone for something similar like having your water broken before pitocin is started? Did you show enough progress to not have to start the pitocin? This being #3 for me, I assume it will be fast like the other 2 were. Either way, keep your fingers crossed or pray that things can go as naturally as possible for baby and I.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: UPDATE!!Induction this Monday and Pissed

• I don't see why you didn't tell the doc no.

This is YOUR body and you are paying him to do as you say. As long as your body/baby are healthy/not showing any signs of deterioration of the placenta or low fluid, etc, then give the induction a big ol' FU and don't show up. 

He's not in charge, you are. And you need to grow a pair and tell him that. 

• I did tell him no, but he said its not safe to go past 41 weeks...He cant give me a reason why its not safe though. He went ahead and scheduled the induction any way. So....I guess I could just not show up. How does that go when you go into labor though? Haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Unless there is a medical reason to induce, I would just say no.

You have the right to refuse treatment. You also have the right to refuse pitocin. Just because someone is your doctor doesn't mean they can dictate your labor. You are not mentally incapacitated, you're pregnant.

Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • imageMrs_Liberto:

I don't see why you didn't tell the doc no.

This is YOUR body and you are paying him to do as you say. As long as your body/baby are healthy/not showing any signs of deterioration of the placenta or low fluid, etc, then give the induction a big ol' FU and don't show up. 

He's not in charge, you are. And you need to grow a pair and tell him that. 

sorry but I'm agreeing with this.  If you can't stick up for yourself you are a part of the issue here. How hard is it to tell him you aren't going to be induced.  FYI post date is 42 weeks.  wouldn't even consider an induction before that. 

• I guess you ladies are right. I can refuse treatment. Whats he going to do.....stab me with an IV anyway? Not so much. So I guess I need to go track this Dr down before he shows up at 5 am monday morning. Thanks for giving it to me like I needed. I have the "balls" so thats not the issue, I just didnt know If i was missing something and I didnt want to question his profession. Im the type that believes that women are being stripped of their rights to have babies like we should so ill quit adding to that percentage. Thanks ladies.

• I was just asking my midwife about when they sed out for induction, and in our state I guess they LEGALLY have to at 43 weeks, but she says hardly anyone goes that long. She said only a handful (5 or so) have gone to 42 1/2 with thick meconium but healthy. Most women go into labor on their own between 41 and 42, and I'm sure you will too! Tell him to suck it without a medical reason and I hope you have the birth you are after!!!
  • If you need ammo, you can tell him that his own professional organization, ACOG, considers postdate to be 42 weeks. As for what would happen if you don't show up ... He may refuse to continue as your provider, but whoever is on call at the hospital the night you go into labor will be legally obligated to assist you. Good luck -- I know this must be frustrating.
  • I assumed who ever was on call would have to deliver the baby. I just told my hubby that im refusing treatment until a medical reason comes up. Thank you for your tough and sincere words. Its jsut what I needed to put my big girl panties on. I cant wait to call the hospital and find him to let him know I wont be there monday morning.
  • ok, whoa, hang on a sec.

i totally agree with the whole, your body, your baby, your decision when it comes to most things.  i wish you would have been able to discuss this with him further at your last appt.  well really, it would have been nice for you to know his policy on post dates and inductions before you got to this point.  then maybe you could have gone with a different provider. 

i would be careful about going off all crazy on the hosp and the dr and then showing up there soon to have your baby, because you are going to be there soon one way or another.  even if you get a diff dr the hosp staff will be the same and you want this to be a positive experience. 

the dr can discharge you from the practice for being non-complient, not that it would be a horrible thing, just sayin.  first i would try to work it out with him and talk to him about your feelings and ask him for more concrete answers. 

how long are you willing to go past your dates?  are you open to having biophysical profiles every so often to check on baby's status?  are you willing to do an induction with other methods? 

• avaleiavalei member
    imageMrs_Liberto:

This! Just don't go. He can go cry about it later. 

imageimageimage
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • avaleiavalei member
    imagejencastorri:

I guess you ladies are right. I can refuse treatment. Whats he going to do.....stab me with an IV anyway? Not so much. So I guess I need to go track this Dr down before he shows up at 5 am monday morning. Thanks for giving it to me like I needed. I have the "balls" so thats not the issue, I just didnt know If i was missing something and I didnt want to question his profession. Im the type that believes that women are being stripped of their rights to have babies like we should so ill quit adding to that percentage. Thanks ladies.

I would like to "Like" this post :) 

Yes    This will have to do!

And good luck!

imageimageimage
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageTexas77again:

ok, whoa, hang on a sec.

i totally agree with the whole, your body, your baby, your decision when it comes to most things.  i wish you would have been able to discuss this with him further at your last appt.  well really, it would have been nice for you to know his policy on post dates and inductions before you got to this point.  then maybe you could have gone with a different provider. 

i would be careful about going off all crazy on the hosp and the dr and then showing up there soon to have your baby, because you are going to be there soon one way or another.  even if you get a diff dr the hosp staff will be the same and you want this to be a positive experience. 

the dr can discharge you from the practice for being non-complient, not that it would be a horrible thing, just sayin.  first i would try to work it out with him and talk to him about your feelings and ask him for more concrete answers. 

how long are you willing to go past your dates?  are you open to having biophysical profiles every so often to check on baby's status?  are you willing to do an induction with other methods? 

Lurker here...

Texas- are there laws in place regarding patient abandonment for OB patients?  I know in my state, a dentist or physician (not sure if OBs are exempt) has to provide a patient with 30 days of emergency care if they are dropping a patient from their practice.  I get what you're saying about not wanting the hospital staff or the doctor to consider OP to be a non-compliant patient.  OP- maybe you can call the doctor tomorrow and tell him that you will go in for a non-stress test and/or a biophysical fetal profile on Monday and that you are open to frequent monitoring until you're 42 weeks.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was pg w DS2, I was worried about having to refuse induction or other procedures, and my doula's advice was that when you refuse something, stay calm and be polite about it, so they can't play the "crazy pg lady" card.

I'm with Liberto, definitely refuse!And though you risk the wrath of your doctor, the hospital can't refuse you in labor. Agreeing to BPP this week is totally reasonable and responsible on your part. Good luck!!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• CTri17CTri17 member

imagejencastorri:
    I did tell him no, but he said its not safe to go past 41 weeks...He cant give me a reason why its not safe though. He went ahead and scheduled the induction any way. So....I guess I could just not show up. How does that go when you go into labor though? Haha

I'd not show up, it's not like they can come pull you out of your house.

Also, I'd be going to a different hospital and praying that I got a better OB than the one I was running from , HA!

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• I think you need to talk to your doctor and ask more questions.  I've heard similar advice to just not show up for an induction but if I were the patient, I'd want more information on his reasoning and logic.  I wouldn't want him to decide he won't see you b/c you didn't do the induction in the event you do have any complications.

Edit:   Due to my age and the increased risk of fetal demise at 40 wks gestation(although it is still a low risk), my OB won't let me go past 40 wks w/out induction.  I only got this info from him once when I asked at ~20 wks and did the research to confirm his info just this last week.   Perhaps he has  a low risk tolerance  for adverse outcomes ie baby/maternal health?  I agree with PP about asking if additional monitoring would be an agreeable compromise.  Good luck! 

• also, OP, you chose this dr because he was someone that you trusted.  he has your medical file and knows your health history.  i think it would be wrong on our part to tell you to go AWOL.  there might have been a good reason for him to want to do the induction, maybe not because a lot of dr's seem to be induction happy these days, but we don't know that. 

for all we know his last patient went post dates and had complications.  i'm not trying to use scare tactics, i'm really not, but a bad experience will make any provider more cautious. 

i don't agree with induction just for the sake of induction.  as i said before i think you need to sit down with him and dicuss this at length and have a chance to ask all of your questions.  i would definitely ask about alternative options. 

JMO...

• FWIW, I don't think cancelling an induction is going AWOL at all. She has a right to know why the doc has decided she needs an induction and her doc would not give her a reason. All she has to say is "I have not been given enough information by my OB to make me feel that it is necessary for ME TO CHOOSE induction at this time when all available information indicates that it is unnecessary. If my doctor would be willing to provide me with my Bishop score and provide me with reasons why he feels it is necessary to go against ACOG standards for induction, I would be happy to reconsider. *I* have the right to understand why these suggestions are being made in regard to my care and *I* will make the decision to induce."
  • when i said AWOL i was not referring to canceling the induction, i was referring to the advice to just simply not show up for it monday morning.  i totally agree with the rest of what you said above.   
  • I would discuss it with him as well.  Although I would just leave a message that you would like to speak with him before anything and I wouldn't be going in tomorrow morning at 5 a.m. to do so.  I'd rather meet at the office. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry, I just have to lol at your statement "... Monday is the day he is at the hospital doing surgeries and other unnecessary inductions."  Haha, anyway, I'm sorry that you're facing this and yes, 41 weeks is pretty early to be inducing when everything is healthy and normal.  I would tell him no and tell him when you will be induced (if you need to be).  It's your choice... and even though his insurance liabilities and all that bs are probably all he's thinking about right now it should still be your choice.  Nobody will handcuff you and take you to the hospital against your will.

All that being said, yes, I have been induced with just an AROM and everything progressed fine for me (and it was my first child).  I'm sure you will do fine as long as your body is truly ready (I was not induced like this until I was 41w6d).  My labor was augmented with Pitocin later on but it was while I was in transition only because my cervix was beginning to swell.  So it wasn't administered just for the sheer sake of hurrying things up.  I trusted my midwife to do the right thing and felt it was necessary under the circumstances.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Whoops!  You overslept!

Wink 

• I assume you also know that after something like 42w the placenta begins to calcify and degrade (they don't last forever). Whether it would go two more weeks and be fine, for some women, no problem...for others, who knows...but it's something to keep in mind, and likely some of what your doc is worrying about. How sure are you of your dates? Ask the doc if there are any other options for daily monitoring of you and the baby that would keep your from induction.

I literally had a drop of pitocin after my water broke, and went into full on labor...sometimes you are just ready to have the baby too. I went on to have the pitocin turned off, no epi and an otherwise natural med free birth. good luck! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • I had everything checked at my last apt, and EVERYTING was perfect. thats my point. The dr has no reason to induce me. If something were worng, then of course I would be more than willing to get this baby out in the safest way possible. I was just mad that I had not even made it a full 40 weeks before he started his nonsence about its dangerous to go past 41 weeks. Well...he jsut finished telling me that everything looked great but he would schedule the induction any way. This is the same dr who swept my membranes 2 weeks ago and didnt tell DH and I until about 4 days ago! uh what the hell? As far as the exact date....Im almost positive that this LO was conceived the day Oregon football killed University of Tennessee this past September. Im a Duck fan adn DH is a Vols fan! So I truely thik my due date was a few days earlier than it should have been.
  • He swept them without saying anything, and that early?!?! Yeah, I'd be pissed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • I still don't understand why you are still with this doctor in the first place?  It is blatantly obvious that he is not a natural birth friendly doctor.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• They can't make you actually show up for it.
  • my doctor [who was fine letting me deliver naturally] told me that if i wanted to take some castor oil around my due date to get things started, i could. i told her no thanks, i would wait for the baby to come and be monitored if i went past my due date to make sure everything was ok.

i ended up having my daughter 3 days before my edd but i was going to do everything i could not to have any unnecessary intervention. you should tell your doctor that you have thought it over and are not comfortable being induced unless there's a medical need for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"