2nd Trimester

Don't tell my OB but...

I totally had a turkey sandwhich today and it felt GREAT to eat it..... I so miss deli meats.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Don't tell my OB but...

• My OB is perfectly okay with me eating deli meat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not mine... she say's it's because of the lysteria bacteria in them, and I should heat up the meat for 15 minutes...but it's all in moderation.
  • Loading the player...
  • 15 minutes?! I've never heard a Dr say that long...everyone I've ever talked to about it said 15 seconds in the microwave is fine (or until steaming if you do it on the stovetop). I'm not big on deli meat as it is, but I'd be pissed if my Dr said I couldn't have Subway lol

• Believe me....I was highly depressed over it...
  • Wow!! I've had 3 toasted Italian sandwiches and about 4 hot dogs... so don't feel so bad. My OB is ok with it though.
  • I had a turkey sub for dinner.  And an Italian sub last week.  They were both delicious.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• I eat Jimmy John's at least once a week.  Delicious. 
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• image*HoneydewChestnut*:
    I eat Jimmy John's at least once a week.  Delicious. 

holy crap i love JJ's...they have the BEST sandwhiches

• imageFunMom2Be:
    Not mine... she say's it's because of the lysteria bacteria in them, and I should heat up the meat for 15 minutes...but it's all in moderation.

Deli meat does not have listeria bacteria in it.  It could possibly get contaminated with listeria if it is not handled/stored properly or if it is old.  As long as you are getting your deli meat from a reputable place(preferably a busy place that goes through a lot of meat) then there is not much to worry about. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning or getting in a serious car accident than getting listeria. 

Get Boars Head meats.  It's the best you can get. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I eat a turkey sandwich for lunch every single day.
  • I think she meant 15 seconds not minutes lol.

I totally had a ham and cheese sandwich today and it was divine. I have one about once a week or so. 

• My doctor want me to stay away from it more in the 3rd trimester since thats when its more harmful for the baby.  I do cheat or forget until I am done eating it.  But moderation is the key to everything.  So go and eat hot dogs and subway I say lol Smile
  • Why would your OB care? I've never had an OB tell me I couldn't eat anything, except for raw fish and no drinking.  

Eat it up. I eat sandwiches all the time and have two perfectly healthy boys. : ) 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • I have had a few sandwiches without heating up the lunch meat. I don't feel so bad now knowing im not the only one sneaking in a sandwich or two. Smile
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • acaveracaver member
    OMG, if you guys are doing it, I'm going to to.  I know what we are having for lunch tomorrow!!!!!!  Bring on the cold turkey sandwiches!
  • image*HoneydewChestnut*:
    I eat Jimmy John's at least once a week.  Delicious. 

I love Jimmy John's!!

I miss sushi the most Crying

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • i miss sushi too!!!! -but i never ate the raw sashimi anyway

is the sushi with cooked meat/no meat really that bad for pregos???

(maybe have to take out the cream cheese on some...) 

• I eat lunch meat, hot dogs, medium rare steaks, soft cheeses and cooked sushi! ::gasp::

As long as your food is handled properly and stored at proper temperatures you should be good to go. The only thing my doctors have said to me was no alcohol and watch the amount of fried/junk foods.

Photobucket
  • I ate deli sandwiches throughout both of my pregnancies and all turned out fine.  Where I work there aren't a lot of options- it's that or fast food, and I felt that a sandwich was the healthier choice.  My doc never even brought up what I eat as an issue in either pg...
  • imageFunMom2Be:
    Not mine... she say's it's because of the lysteria bacteria in them, and I should heat up the meat for 15 minutes...but it's all in moderation.

wow, two totally untrue statements.   after 15 min. the meat would be like shoe rubber! i hope she has a clue about things that matter!  

imageimage

• imageKellyAnn911:

imageFunMom2Be:

Deli meat does not have listeria bacteria in it.  It could possibly get contaminated with listeria if it is not handled/stored properly or if it is old.  As long as you are getting your deli meat from a reputable place(preferably a busy place that goes through a lot of meat) then there is not much to worry about. You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning or getting in a serious car accident than getting listeria. 

Get Boars Head meats.  It's the best you can get. 

This! However, with my first PG I didn't have a Sammie until my 2nd tri.... Then I would have them 1 every other week... BY my third tri it's all I could handle.... You'll find your vices and choose your "evils" (lol). It is true fresher is best, low sodium etc etc. But if youre a healthy eater go for it.if you're housing junk foods, caffeine, fast foods etc then deli meat isn't gonna hurt you like everything else will. You'll be fine stay with a clean fast place deli and enjoy every bite. How often is up to you.
    imageBabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemlleval:

i miss sushi too!!!! -but i never ate the raw sashimi anyway

There's nothing wrong with cream cheese.  *sigh*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageFunMom2Be:
    I totally had a turkey sandwhich today and it felt GREAT to eat it..... I so miss deli meats.

Oh, holy crap! I just realized I had a turkey sandwich for dinner without heating the meat up! I usually heat it. It just slipped my mind. O_O

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imageFunMom2Be:

yeah, i was told like 30-40 seconds, until it's steaming.  and as much as i love lunch meat in my sammiches, nothing is grosser than hot lunch meat!  don't tell my OB but i had three small sips of champagne tonight after my (now) fiance proposed!  that's the only alcohol i'll be treating myself to during pregnancy so i figure three small sips shouldn't be too bad.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagemlleval:

i miss sushi too!!!! -but i never ate the raw sashimi anyway

Hmm When they say no sushi they mean the raw stuff.  Cooked/no meat rolls are perfectly fine.  Why would you have to take out the cream cheese??  There is nothing wrong with cream cheese. 

Where do you people hear these ridiculous thing about what you can't eat...

• kxp004kxp004 member

Wow.... While y'all are at it, maybe you should know you're not supposed to eat soft serve ice cream too....lol... I definitely ignored that one

Quote I found on a website that is fairly accurate:

About 6 million people will get pregnant this year.  1/3 of 2500 cases this year will be in pregnant women.  So what is your chance of getting this disease? .013%.  What are your chances of dying in a car accident? .015%  So, you are more likely to die in an accident than get listeriosis.   Now, you don?t want to  partake in risky behavior.  No driving while blindfolded, and no licking raw chicken.  But do you never get into a car while pregnant?  No, you just make good choices.  Your favorite sushi restaurant where you know they get the fish fresh at the market might not pose as much risk as you think.  You have a craving for your favorite brand of brie cheese?  Yea, statistically you could cause your infant harm, but so do people who breath in the air in Los Angeles.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • GASP!!! How dare you! jk. That was the first thing my doctor's office said NOT to do. I had two turkey lunchmeat sandwiches prior to that that wouldn't stay down a until I finished the sandwich :(. I miss them too. My new friend is the melt at Subway (ham, turkey, bacon toasted with mozzerella...yum!). I figured since it's toasted it's okay.
  • I'm betting your OB meant heat it up for 15 seconds.  I was told 30 seconds in the microwave, or get the sandwich toasted.  I eat sandwiches/subs all the time - I just get them toasted.

And ditto the Boar's Head meat 

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• imageMrsG.060708:
    My OB is perfectly okay with me eating deli meat.

ditto this--just preferably not from a subway--but if i keep it in my own fridge so its always cold she has no issues

I also dont eat red meat, wont eat large chunks of meat and hate beans so its pretty much a "I dont give a rats...just get some protein"

• I just get my sandwiches toasted too, much better them nuking turkey or ham ewwww.
  • Oh lord, I eat turkey at least twice a week! You have a higher chance of catching listeria from raw vegetables!
  • mbf124mbf124 member
    I've had lunch meat about 3x per week since I got pregnant. no listeria yet! ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I've had several tuna salad sandwiches and, last week, I ate a salami and cheese sandwich three days in a row! My OB says 1-2xs a week is fine though, but avoid everyday b/c obviously the more you eat something the higher the odds become of being that one in a million person who eats something contaminated.
  • Seriously people.  Do you reallize how rare listeria is?  Only 2500 people get it every year.  Total.  Eat your deli meat, eat your soft serve, eat your pasteurized soft cheeses (you'll be hard pressed to find an unpasteurized cheese in the US), eat your sushi!!!  I mean if you're going to avoid all this food, you better not leave your house either so you don't get hit by a car.  And make sure you don't leave the couch so you don't fall down the stairs. Jeesh.
  • imagegymnst1013:
    Seriously people.  Do you reallize how rare listeria is?  Only 2500 people get it every year.  Total.  Eat your deli meat, eat your soft serve, eat your pasteurized soft cheeses (you'll be hard pressed to find an unpasteurized cheese in the US), eat your sushi!!!  I mean if you're going to avoid all this food, you better not leave your house either so you don't get hit by a car.  And make sure you don't leave the couch so you don't fall down the stairs. Jeesh.

Yes

• imagechristiney06:

imageFunMom2Be:

wow, two totally untrue statements.   after 15 min. the meat would be like shoe rubber! i hope she has a clue about things that matter!  

I'm sure that it was more like 15 seconds and the op misheard or just plain remembered wrong...and the other part is not "untrue".  Lunchmeats do carry a heightened risk for carrying, or however you want to say it, listeria.  While the non-pregnant you may never be effected by consuming something that contains listeria (you might never even know what you ate contained the bacteria... although it does cause many deaths and sickness every year), a fetus does not have the means to protect itself against the bacteria like a healthy adult however which is why the risk is greater.  Hence why dr's as well as the American Pregnancy Association reccomend no soft cheeses (the important thing is really whether or not thy're pasturized), and unpasturized products, and deli meat that is not heated to a temp. of 160degrees.  Heating to that temp. ensures that the bacteria can not live. I've taken many food safety courses over the course of getting my culinary and FSM degrees and ALL of them focused heavily on the fact that listeria could be harmful to pregnant women, small children, and the elderly.  I'm certainly not saying that any of you are horrible for taking a chance...because obviously it's not like you've got a 80% chance of eating a listeria ridden piece of turkey...but sometimes I swear everyone just starts laying into the op on these things trying to make them feel dumb when they don't exactly know what they're talking about themselves.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageNanner22:

I eat lunch meat, hot dogs, medium rare steaks, soft cheeses and cooked sushi! ::gasp::

As long as your food is handled properly and stored at proper temperatures you should be good to go. The only thing my doctors have said to me was no alcohol and watch the amount of fried/junk foods.

I had raw sushi last week, and will probably be getting some tonight after our trip to the movies.  I also had a glass of verdejo and imported soft cheese at a very nice wine store.

Again, you have to go to a reputable place.  Not a big deal, my OB okayed it, probably because she knows I have common sense :p
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Italian hoagies, love them...would pick that as my all-time favorite food. So I was pretty bummed when I learned I couldn't go to my favorite sandwich shop and order a hoagie anymore. I made a Dagwood Bumstead special the other day for lunch and pan-fried my meat before eating it. It was worth every single calorie...it was pretty darn good!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemrsdugger:
    imagechristiney06:

imageFunMom2Be:

I'm sure that it was more like 15 seconds and the op misheard or just plain remembered wrong...and the other part is not "untrue".  Lunchmeats do carry a heightened risk for carrying, or however you want to say it, listeria.  While the non-pregnant you may never be effected by consuming something that contains listeria (you might never even know what you ate contained the bacteria... although it does cause many deaths and sickness every year), a fetus does not have the means to protect itself against the bacteria like a healthy adult however which is why the risk is greater.  Hence why dr's as well as the American Pregnancy Association reccomend no soft cheeses (the important thing is really whether or not thy're pasturized), and unpasturized products, and deli meat that is not heated to a temp. of 160degrees.  Heating to that temp. ensures that the bacteria can not live. I've taken many food safety courses over the course of getting my culinary and FSM degrees and ALL of them focused heavily on the fact that listeria could be harmful to pregnant women, small children, and the elderly.  I'm certainly not saying that any of you are horrible for taking a chance...because obviously it's not like you've got a 80% chance of eating a listeria ridden piece of turkey...but sometimes I swear everyone just starts laying into the op on these things trying to make them feel dumb when they don't exactly know what they're talking about themselves.

SERIOUSLY?

did you really have to C&P some info about Lysteria like anyone was going to have a lightbulb moment after reading it? believe me, I know all the facts about lysteria. the poster made it seem like all lunch meat has lysteria bacteria, that is why i said it was an untrue statement.  i'm sorry even if she heard 15 min. on mistake, common sense should tell you that would destroy the lunch meat.

I get it, there is a TINY risk, like a PP pointed out, you are more at risk driving in your car everyday yet no one just walks instead.   thanks for chiming in w/ your nonsense though, it was entertaining! i've been around for 5ys, you and your 46 posts can simmer down. 

imageimage

• I've always preferred hot sandwiches anyways, but I don't think eating a little deli meat will be the end of the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"