2nd Trimester

Baby Shower Board... BECAREFUL

BECAREFUL NEW MOMS! Tongue Tied

I didnt know how the whole baby shower thing works so I asked a question on that board.Well the majority of the women on there were pretty uptight about me asking that question.

I had never been on that board so I figure I would ask a question. WRONG.

I didnt mean to offend any one or ask the wrong question, but I dont think I will be checking back to see what their answers are because they where kind of rude.

Just a PRE WARNING! Yikes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Shower Board... BECAREFUL

• chrlyrchrlyr member
    Some of them did jump down your throat right away, but to be fair, there was a post with 50+ responses on that very same subject on the first page of that board.
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagechrlyr:
    Some of them did jump down your throat right away, but to be fair, there was a post with 50+ responses on that very same subject on the first page of that board.

Oh, see I dont even look on the first page. I normally just look at the top 10 post. I will start checking before I do that again.

• Loading the player...
  • yikes!! I was going to go over to that board to see what it's all about. hhuummm wonder if they think it's tacky that I'm planning my own baby shower since I don't have a mom. My MIL is paying for the shower but she is not a party planner so she told me you do everything and let me know so I can go ahead and take care of it. She also goes with me to meet the vendors. My SIL just had a newborn and my bf is having her baby friday. So I'm doing the decorating and most of the planning.

:) smilles :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • imageatizon:

yikes!! I was going to go over to that board to see what it's all about. hhuummm wonder if they think it's tacky that I'm planning my own baby shower since I don't have a mom. My MIL is paying for the shower but she is not a party planner so she told me you do everything and let me know so I can go ahead and take care of it. She also goes with me to meet the vendors. My SIL just had a newborn and my bf is having her baby friday. So I'm doing the decorating and most of the planning.

Well I am glad that I saved you from the trouble. They said throwing your own baby shower was greedy, tacky and not right. They said a shower is a gift some one does for you. BUT seeing how you dont have a mom (sorry about that) and some one else is paying for it I personally dont see the problem. My friend is going to throw mine but I have to be involved because my mom lives in another state and I had to figure out what day she could come in. So I set the date and colors. Is that wrong?

• Baby Showers=Drama 

There's a few specific topics that are sure to generate a lot of flames, but wanting to throw your own shower is number 1

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thats why you are supposed to lurk on new boards before you jump in and post...

• I don't see nothing wrong being involved in it. Unless they want to make it a surprise for you. :) have fun!!

• TBH, I don't really see what not having a mom has to do with anything (although I'm very sorry to hear that).  There is no rule that your mother has to throw your shower, in fact, in old school etiquette, it was considered in poor taste for the mother of the bride or mom-to-be to throw a wedding or baby shower for her daughter.  That rule has gone by the wayside but anyone can throw a shower-mom, friends, aunts, whomever.  Except yourself.  That's just kind of self-entitled.  Unfortunately there is a lot of self-entitlement in our society today. 
  • imageamandaloren:

Thats why you are supposed to lurk on new boards before you jump in and post...

Yes

m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Ha that is funny that they got all huffy over there!

I personally think its weird to throw your own shower completely alone.

Example-my cousin did and complained about every step on FB. It was so weird!

But I guess if someone else is paying then go for it!

I have a big group of friends and 3 of them did my first shower. They are all 3 insisting on throwing me a 2nd shower (since its a boy this time) which I was really embarrassed about. After they said there was no question they were, I made them promise for it to be small.

Either way I feel like if a friend of mine didn't have a shower, I would still get her something when I went to visit her or would send one!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, I set the date, I picked the colors and I'm paying for it, but other than that, my mom, sister, and BF are doing the rest (decorations, cake, invitations, ect). Frankly, I think I got the sucky part....having to pay for my OWN shower!!!

I also think that most of the people that have been on TB for a long time are rude and bitter women. I am a member of another forum where everyone is so kind to each other regardless of what they've been through or where they're from. The women on this board are cold-hearted and I can't believe they say the things they do to other women.

Didn't their parents teach them that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• I just mention my mom passed away not knowing the etiquette if they throw one for you or not.  My family is not a big family. No sisters, only 1 aunt which were not that close and my friends well I have a few. All my cousins are men, most of my family are men my mom and me were the only girls in the fam. My MIL is the one with the idea for the baby shower and since it's her first grand child and she has no daughters she's like my own mom she wants me to have a shower. So really don't see anything wrong with it. She's paying for it I do the planning of course with her help. I am very grateful for her. :)

Everyone has there own opionion and I repect everyones opinion as well.

• imagechristinaramirez08:

Well, I set the date, I picked the colors and I'm paying for it, but other than that, my mom, sister, and BF are doing the rest (decorations, cake, invitations, ect). Frankly, I think I got the sucky part....having to pay for my OWN shower!!!

I also think that most of the people that have been on TB for a long time are rude and bitter women. I am a member of another forum where everyone is so kind to each other regardless of what they've been through or where they're from. The women on this board are cold-hearted and I can't believe they say the things they do to other women.

Didn't their parents teach them that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all!!!!

And what exactly are you doing here?  Saying not nice things about people?

• imageamandaloren:

Thats why you are supposed to lurk on new boards before you jump in and post...

Trust me I will do that next time

• chrlyrchrlyr member
    image*HoneydewChestnut*:
    imagechristinaramirez08:

Well, I set the date, I picked the colors and I'm paying for it, but other than that, my mom, sister, and BF are doing the rest (decorations, cake, invitations, ect). Frankly, I think I got the sucky part....having to pay for my OWN shower!!!

Yes 

DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker

WOW!!! I am so glad you said that. I feel the same way. Its almost like they have no patience. I post when I have a question so I dont have to call my doctor every day. What other site do you suggest.

• imageSuperDeDuper:
    imageCandim1920:
    imageatizon:

yikes!! I was going to go over to that board to see what it's all about. hhuummm wonder if they think it's tacky that I'm planning my own baby shower since I don't have a mom. My MIL is paying for the shower but she is not a party planner so she told me you do everything and let me know so I can go ahead and take care of it. She also goes with me to meet the vendors. My SIL just had a newborn and my bf is having her baby friday. So I'm doing the decorating and most of the planning.

Well I am glad that I saved you from the trouble. They said throwing your own baby shower was greedy, tacky and not right. They said a shower is a gift some one does for you. BUT seeing how you dont have a mom (sorry about that) and some one else is paying for it I personally dont see the problem. My friend is going to throw mine but I have to be involved because my mom lives in another state and I had to figure out what day she could come in. So I set the date and colors. Is that wrong?

I don't think it's wrong to set the date and colors.  (I would guess that unless you live somewhere where the 'surprise shower' is customary most shower planners would want your input on the date at least!)  I see this more as just helping out.

To be fair though, your post on the shower board said, and i quote,

"SO I understand that your friends or family are supposed to put on your baby shower.... WHY do I feel like it isnt going to be done correctly. Am I just being overly worried, what if they forget or just dont want to do it. Should I secretly plan my own just incase?"

This doesn't sound anything like helping out.  This sounds like you want to throw your own in case you don't get one or in case the one your friends/family throw doesn't live up to your expectations.  And that sounds tacky.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and think perhaps this was a case of you not explaining your situation enough and people jumping on it?? 

Your right. I didnt explain it throughly. When I said secretly plan my shower was mostly letting my BF know what colors I liked and when my mom could come down. I also had 2 other friend who wanted to help so I was trying to help them all get in contact with eachother. I wasnt going to go out and rent a space and throw my self a party. That is just how every one saw it.

• imageatizon:

I just mention my mom passed away not knowing the etiquette if they throw one for you or not.  My family is not a big family. No sisters, only 1 aunt which were not that close and my friends well I have a few. All my cousins are men, most of my family are men my mom and me were the only girls in the fam. My MIL is the one with the idea for the baby shower and since it's her first grand child and she has no daughters she's like my own mom she wants me to have a shower. So really don't see anything wrong with it. She's paying for it I do the planning of course with her help. I am very grateful for her. :)

Everyone has there own opionion and I repect everyones opinion as well.

If she's the one throwing the shower and she has asked for a lot of your input and you are merely giving her what she asked for, there is nothing wrong with that.  That's not the same thing as planning your own shower.  

• imagechrlyr:
    image*HoneydewChestnut*:
    imagechristinaramirez08:

Yes 

Well something needed to be said because newly pregnant women are getting bashed and flamed for saying the wrong thing or asking the wrong question. These types of boards are here to support others, not put them down and make them feel like crap, which is obviously what happens most of the time.

People have the right to their own opinion, but if you think it might offend someone or hurt someone's feelings, then don't say anything at all. It's like half the women on here are on here just to be mean to make themselves feel better and that's just sad.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

• How much worse are they going to feel though when they make a faux-pas in front of their friends and loved ones and look like a total jerk?  I started off on The Knot and those girls saved me from being a selfish moron when I was planning my wedding and I'm very grateful for it.  Yeah, sometimes it could be worded nicer, but most of the responses she got were simply to-the-point and not at all ugly. 
  • chrlyrchrlyr member
    Are we going to get a GBCB out of this? I feel like it's coming...
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
    imagechrlyr:
    image*HoneydewChestnut*:
    imagechristinaramirez08:

Yes 

Well something needed to be said because newly pregnant women are getting bashed and flamed for saying the wrong thing or asking the wrong question. These types of boards are here to support others, not put them down and make them feel like crap, which is obviously what happens most of the time.

People have the right to their own opinion, but if you think it might offend someone or hurt someone's feelings, then don't say anything at all. It's like half the women on here are on here just to be mean to make themselves feel better and that's just sad.

This is a message board, not a support group.  OP wasn't flamed for asking a question - people answered her question bluntly which is part of the dynamic of the board that she asked it on.  

I really do think it's hilarious that you're talking crap about people talking crap.  It's great.

• imagechrlyr:

Oh lord I hope so.

• These boards are a public forum and when you solicit advice, be prepared to get the full range of viewpoints.  I hope you don't post on TB expecting to always get unwavering approval or only to hear positive/uplifting messages for trivial things.  These people are not your true friends and are quite candid in their opinions, try not to feel so slighted, because when it comes down to it, they have no say to what actually happens in your private life.    

•  I usually don't post about things like these, but she was treated pretty nasty. If the point is Etiquette, maybe some of the ladies should learn Etiquette on how to treat others since they know so much about the Etiquitte of a baby shower. Just my opinion. 

(I'm actually not trying to be rude or nasty here at all, but I must say that I agree entirely that some of the ladies on that board were down right dirty over something so trivial.) 

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • imageEmreighsMommy:

I usually don't post about things like these, but she was treated pretty nasty. If the point is Etiquette, maybe some of the ladies should learn Etiquette on how to treat others since they know so much about the Etiquitte of a baby shower. Just my opinion. 

(I'm actually not trying to be rude or nasty here at all, but I must say that I agree entirely that some of the ladies on that board were down right dirty over something so trivial.) 

Where was anyone "down right dirty" in this thread?  There were no puppies and rainbows, but no one was nasty to the OP.

• imageCandim1920:
    imageSuperDeDuper:
    imageCandim1920:
    imageatizon:

I don't think it's wrong to set the date and colors.  (I would guess that unless you live somewhere where the 'surprise shower' is customary most shower planners would want your input on the date at least!)  I see this more as just helping out.

"SO I understand that your friends or family are supposed to put on your baby shower.... WHY do I feel like it isnt going to be done correctly. Am I just being overly worried, what if they forget or just dont want to do it. Should I secretly plan my own just incase?"

This doesn't sound anything like helping out.  This sounds like you want to throw your own in case you don't get one or in case the one your friends/family throw doesn't live up to your expectations.  And that sounds tacky.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and think perhaps this was a case of you not explaining your situation enough and people jumping on it?? 

Your right. I didnt explain it throughly. When I said secretly plan my shower was mostly letting my BF know what colors I liked and when my mom could come down. I also had 2 other friend who wanted to help so I was trying to help them all get in contact with eachother. I wasnt going to go out and rent a space and throw my self a party. That is just how every one saw it.

What you are saying you meant on this thread is a complete 180 from your OP in the thread in the baby shower forum.  Letting your friend know what colors you like and when your mother is available is not secretly planning your own shower.  If you had said, "Should I let my friend know these things?"  I don't think anyone would have cared.  That's not what you said, people saw your post exactly how you wrote it and responded to what you wrote. 

No one was being uptight and no one was being rude, just telling you correct ettiquette, even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear.  If having manners means you are uptight then I am (and I'm sure a lot of others here are) very happy to have that stick placed firmly up my a--.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Oh for crying out loud.  "Nobody is throwing me a shower, so I'm planning my own!!"  Guess what?  A shower is not required.  It's a gift that someone else gives to you by throwing you a party. 

Planning your own shower is completely greedy and self-centered. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageRobotLegs:

Oh for crying out loud.  "Nobody is throwing me a shower, so I'm planning my own!!"  Guess what?  A shower is not required.  It's a gift that someone else gives to you by throwing you a party. 

So let those people be greedy and self-centered. It doesn't affect you in any way, shape or form. And if you are ever invited to one where it was thrown by the pregnant woman, then DON'T GO!!! For crying out loud.....

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

• Do what you want and what makes you happy! Don't worry about those crazies!! lol
    imageRobotLegs:

Oh for crying out loud.  "Nobody is throwing me a shower, so I'm planning my own!!"  Guess what?  A shower is not required.  It's a gift that someone else gives to you by throwing you a party. 

So let those people be greedy and self-centered. It doesn't affect you in any way, shape or form. And if you are ever invited to one where it was thrown by the pregnant woman, then DON'T GO!!! For crying out loud.....

Yes. but if they ask for the opinion of others on their choice to throw their own shower.. then are we allowed to give it?

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Wow! that was rediculous and uncalled for on their part, I wrote them a nice little response on your post. Smile   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

• imageCandim1920:
    imageSuperDeDuper:
    imageCandim1920:
    imageatizon:

WOW.  If this is what you really meant, you couldn't have written it worse on the other board.  This isn't even CLOSE to the same as what you wrote over there.  I'm sorry, but based on what you wrote there, I totally understand the reaction.  It really sounds bad to basically say "well, I have people that are going to throw me a shower, but I'm afraid I won't like it.  Should I secretly plan one myself?"  That sounds like you're trying to plan a second party if the first one doesn't turn out how you want.

I think all of this could be solved if you took some time to proofread and make sure it sounds exactly the way you want it to.  Otherwise, with posts like that, you're going to get a lot more "heat" from TB.

• imageFranchesca1208:
    Do what you want and what makes you happy! Don't worry about those crazies!! lol

yeah because this is how life works.  

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• imagechrlyr:

What is GBCB?

Expecting a bootiful baby Girl this Halloween
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageLiz4444:
    imageCandim1920:
    imageSuperDeDuper:
    imageCandim1920:
    imageatizon:

What you are saying you meant on this thread is a complete 180 from your OP in the thread in the baby shower forum.  Letting your friend know what colors you like and when your mother is available is not secretly planning your own shower.  If you had said, "Should I let my friend know these things?"  I don't think anyone would have cared.  That's not what you said, people saw your post exactly how you wrote it and responded to what you wrote. 

No one was being uptight and no one was being rude, just telling you correct ettiquette, even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear.  If having manners means you are uptight then I am (and I'm sure a lot of others here are) very happy to have that stick placed firmly up my a--.

Wow, this has gotten way out of control. I didnt know some thing so I wrote a question. I am sorry that I didnt write it in proper terms or the way that people wanted to see it. Its very obvious that its hard to stay out of drama on this site. No matter what I do I always seem to sitr up something. It doesnt matter if I appoligize or try to defend my self. People (women) feel the need to completely bash your point across. I wish I had a way to delete this site becuase I do not anything to do with this any more. ITs a waste of time and every one seems to be pissed off when something is wrong.

• imageneems1982:
    Wow! that was rediculous and uncalled for on their part, I wrote them a nice little response on your post. Smile   

thanks didnt know i was going to cause such a debate or battle.

•  

This is a message board, not a support group.  

/quote]

Not that I am trying to prove a point or anything but if you go to the terms of use on the bump.com you will find. It may not say support group but it does say to inform, educate, entertain, and SUPPORT parents.

The Bump Terms of Use

The Bump is here to inform, educate, entertain, and support parents and to-be parents everywhere, during their crazy, hectic, and joyful family growth period (and beyond), through our interactive forums on the World Wide Web.

• imageT&HLove:
    imagechristinaramirez08:
    imageRobotLegs:

Yes. but if they ask for the opinion of others on their choice to throw their own shower.. then are we allowed to give it?

yeah allowed to give it but you dont have to be overly harsh or rude about it. That is what I have found is that people like to do. Be harsh, just because you may know the rules or whatever doesnt mean everyone else does. Gosh, I could see if some one posted the same question all the time but dang... First time give a girl a break.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"