October 2011 Moms

to breast feed or not?

Im sure this has been discussed before but I am not sure which way to go.  I know most doctors say to breast feed but I really dont feel comfortable with it.  Also, no one in my family has been breastfed as babies and we're all healthy.  When we were kids we were rarely sick other than the occasional cold! I also have a lot of allergies and I am limited to things I can eat and i dont want to pass that on...Any thoughts ladies?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: to breast feed or not?

• I plan on exclusively pumping for 6 months.  It's a personal choice on what you prefer to do.  My mom attempted to breastfeed me, but apparently I was a hungry bugger and would cry every 30 minutes until I was fed again.  I was switched to bottles with cereal at 2 weeks old.  I turned out ok.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I planned to formula feed at first and now I've decided to TRY breast feeding. I'm a first time mom so both is new territory for me. But it's worth a try and completely a personal choice. Whatever you choose, do research first. =) 

• Loading the player...
  • The topic of BF will inspire some strong opinions, so I hope you're ready.  It's really be best option for your LO in terms of health and nutrition and it's the cheapest option vs formula.  It's very natural, mammals of all sorts depended on it for millions of years to feed their young and I think you should go into it with an open mind, its not weird. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Read a couple of books and take a breastfeeding class to see if it is something that you could see yourself doing.  It is a personal choice for every mother to make.  I wouldn't do it or not do it because of the choices that friends or family members made for their families.  Do your research and make the decision that works best for your family! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • vernabvernab member

My reasons for BFing were:

1) saves a ton of money, and I'm a SAHM

2) weight loss

3) I have food allergies that I wanted to help my child prevent.

I lasted 10 months before I dried up, this time I'm going to try VERY hard to make it the whole year.  That said, I didn't really enjoy it very much.  Yeah, it was convient and all the pluses I mentioned, but I didn't feel it was a super wonderful bonding time like everyone says.  I enjoyed cuddling with him when he needed to eat but I didn't love it.  You could always pump too, that way you both still get the health benifits but you don't have to do all the feeding yourself.

www.mvstephenson.wordpress.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Check with the hospital (or other facility) where you'll deliver - they may offer BF classes.  This might give you a better sense of what you'd like to do.  Just remember - there's no right or wrong way, as long as your child gets fed.

Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• I'd do a little research and maybe contact your local La Leche League. They'll be biased, obviously, but they could give you some good information as well. It is a very personal decision, and not one to be made lightly. Neither breast feeding or formula feeding is without its own set of pros and cons.

You mentioned however that you have food allergies. Current research is showing that allergies can be reduced greatly in breastfed babies. Again, I'd do some research and maybe something you read will convince you one way or the other.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am going to breastfeed if I can.  You won't pass allergies on to your child through breastfeeding.  It actually can help prevent your child from getting them later in life.  if you eat a healthy diet, then breastfeeding has a lot of benefits.  I would sugget that you do a lot of research.  Find out everything you can about the benefits of it.  More than just keeping your child sick-free. 

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of bf, then like pp stated you can pump.  Check out the breastfeeding board.  There is a lot of information.

• imagedanes22:

image10kris:
    Im sure this has been discussed before but I am not sure which way to go.  I know most doctors say to breast feed but I really dont feel comfortable with it.  Also, no one in my family has been breastfed as babies and we're all healthy.  When we were kids we were rarely sick other than the occasional cold! I also have a lot of allergies and I am limited to things I can eat and i dont want to pass that on...Any thoughts ladies?

I don't believe babies can get your allergies through breastfeeding.  A lot of what I read actually says that breastfeeding helps to prevent allergies (regardless of any allergies mom has).

I am a firm believer that if you don't have a physical or emotional inability to breastfeed that you should at lease give it a shot.  I personally feel that the benefits to the baby and mother are too numerous to pass up and I'm really looking forward to that bonding time with my baby.  Breastfeeding will also save us lots of money over the course of a year.

That said, do your research.  In the end this is a decision you and your SO need to make.

This!

I would love nothing more than to be able to breastfeed, but I had a breast reduction almost 5 years ago and the milk ducts were severed. I knew this would happen when I had the surgery, but I couldnt carry those big a** boobies around forever.

It is a personal choice. Don't let people get to you who flame you for not wanting to breastfeed. I know of many people who weren't breastfed and are perfectly fine. I was breastfed but I have tons of food allergies.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• I think it's a very personal decision (and requires much research) and I've found people have very strong opinions regarding BF. I'm not sure if I'm going to bf or use formula. If I do, I'm thinking of breastfeeding for a few months. I was not breastfed as a child and I turned out to be very healthy. I've spoke with my doctor and of course she recommends breastfeeding but also stated formula is very good for the baby too. Again, I think it's a personal decision and not one that anyone should pass judgment either way. Smile

• I am going to BF. I know that it helps you loose weight after the baby is born. I also just read in What to expect in the first year that BF is good for the baby because it changes with the baby. I didnt know that. Its different in the morning than at night and different at 3 days to 4 months. Some people cant breast feed but I dont know if it would hurt to try. Always worth a shot. My friend lost 30lbs in the first 3 weeks from BF

• It's important to me to at least try.  Then there are no doubts about what I should or shouldn't have done.  I may only pump, but we'll see.  I want my DH to be able to participate in the feeding/bonding experience as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• 10kris10kris member
    Thanks for al the advice ladies!
  • I think bf is a personal choice and if u don't feel comfortable then that's that. I myself plan to bf again with this baby and did with my second child. I did not feel comfortable bf with my first and he is just fine. No allergies, and top of his class, but I do advocate bf due to the benefits. Have u thought about ep if u still want baby to have the benefits of bm?
    BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • It's a personal choice and you will find people argueing over the same statements. All of the BF mommies I know actually took longer to lose the weight. They have said that in order to keep their milk supply up, they needed to keep some weight on them. This was also confirmed by my endocrinologist when we were discussing when I will need to have my meds changed. Since I'm not BF-ing, she said they will need changing ASAP as I will drop weight sooner than if I BF'd/. As for the allergies, definitely talk to your doctor. My sister was FF & I was BF. My sister is totally healthy & allergy free yet I'm allergic to everything under the sun. So, those that say that BF-ing prevents allergies or makes you have a healthier baby don't really know what they are talking about. Again, this is something you need to talk to your doctor (medical professional) about and not let a bunch of internet strangers try to sway you one way or another. You should ultimately do what's right for you and your baby. There are no badges given out for women who BF, have a drug-free birth, etc.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • I think the most important thing is not to put too much pressure on yourself, either way. There are moms who want to BF who beat themselves up because of low supply/bad latch/baby losing too much birth weight and feel like failures when they have to go to formula, and there are moms who start out with formula but always doubt themselves. So long as your baby is getting the nourishment it needs, that's all that matters. 
    April 2010 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Romantic Pic
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagevernab:

2) weight loss

I lasted 10 months before I dried up, this time I'm going to try VERY hard to make it the whole year.  That said, I didn't really enjoy it very much.  Yeah, it was convient and all the pluses I mentioned, but I didn't feel it was a super wonderful bonding time like everyone says.  I enjoyed cuddling with him when he needed to eat but I didn't love it.  You could always pump too, that way you both still get the health benifits but you don't have to do all the feeding yourself.

4) (I think) lower chances of developing breast cancer

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageCeridwen21:
    imagevernab:

2) weight loss

4) (I think) lower chances of developing breast cancer

Agree with above.  It does lower your breast cancer risk - the longer you breastfeed the more benefit.  And you'll find people who say that they were formula fed and were healthy yet a friend or sibling was breastfed and was sick all the time - the studies overall show kids are healthier [especially less ear infections] and lower risk of obesity later on in life.  The later was very important to me because DH's family is very overweight.  But my point is that every study has outliers - it doesn't work for everyone and I agree that if you have physical or emotional problems that prevent you from breastfeeding - that is what formula is for.  Most women can breast feed if they get good teaching and are patient. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs. Mo:
    It's a personal choice and you will find people argueing over the same statements. All of the BF mommies I know actually took longer to lose the weight. They have said that in order to keep their milk supply up, they needed to keep some weight on them. This was also confirmed by my endocrinologist when we were discussing when I will need to have my meds changed. Since I'm not BF-ing, she said they will need changing ASAP as I will drop weight sooner than if I BF'd/. As for the allergies, definitely talk to your doctor. My sister was FF & I was BF. My sister is totally healthy & allergy free yet I'm allergic to everything under the sun. So, those that say that BF-ing prevents allergies or makes you have a healthier baby don't really know what they are talking about. Again, this is something you need to talk to your doctor (medical professional) about and not let a bunch of internet strangers try to sway you one way or another. You should ultimately do what's right for you and your baby. There are no badges given out for women who BF, have a drug-free birth, etc.

Crazy.. everyone I know who has breastfed (and it is basically everyone I know almost that have had children) have all lost the weight and fast through breastfeeding. I myself lost all of my weight just from sitting on my bum, breastfeeding.. lol. And I lost it quite fast as well (as well as going below my pre-pregnancy weight) Regardless, my personal opinions on breastfeeding and why it is best have been said above by a lot of the ladies. If you feel uncomfortable with it right now, I say don't knock it until you try it. Thinking about it and actually doing it are definitely two different things. And why wouldn't you want what is best for you and baby? Just my thoughts. I've been breastfeeding now for 20 months and wouldn't have it any other way. This baby will definitely be breastfed as well. Plus, thinking about how much money we saved on not having to buy formula always makes me happy that we breastfed as well!

• memo9memo9 member

1. We are the only species on the planet that feeds their young milk from another animal.

2. Breastfed babies could have an IQ 8 points higher. (So That's What They're For..)

3.  Formula is made of chemicals and is not equal to breastmilk.

4. I plan on SAH and am looking forward to saving $.

After doing the research, I would feel like I really cheated my child if I did not give BF an enthusiastic go. 

• StephKStephK member
    imageMegMo10:

1. We are the only species on the planet that feeds their young milk from another animal.

2. Breastfed babies could have an IQ 8 points higher. (So That's What They're For..)

After doing the research, I would feel like I really cheated my child if I did not give BF an enthusiastic go. 

No offense intended, but the bolded is the most ridiculous argument I have ever seen to support breast feeding.  We're the only mammal that is capable of doing all sorts of things, like make and use technology, so how is this surprising in any way??  How *would* another species even try to get its young to feed from another animal?  Now I'm picturing a pig trying to get its young to feed from a cow.  Come on, really?

I plan on breastfeeding, by the way.  I plan on breastfeeding because it is free, it is a good way to bond with my baby and I know the passage of the maternal specific antibodies early in breast feeding is very useful for future immunity of the baby.

Just because I'm cranky, I have to comment on this, too.  This is really not personal, I don't know you, I just really hate when people make the argument that something is made of chemicals and is therefore inherently bad.  YOU are made up of chemicals, your breast milk is also made up of chemicals.  Every single thing on the planet is made up of chemical elements, like carbon, hydrogen, oxygen.  There would be no life without chemistry!

Off my soap box.

• You should read about breast feeding and take a class like PP have said. It may seem weird to you now, but when they baby comes you will feel differently. How do I know this? Because I felt the same way when I had my son and bottle feed him and regretted it and wished I would have breast fed. If you don't start out bf then it very difficult to "start up" once you have decided not too. After coming home from the hospital I felt I had made a mistake, I completely regret and feel guilty still about not bf. I am this time and I am making sure I educate myself about bf and I am making sure I have a good support system at home to encourage it ( I have talked alot about it with dh, have my best friend to call with ? because she bf all 3 of here girls, and making sure there is a lacation consultan available at hospital).

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• memo9memo9 member
    imageStephK:
    imageMegMo10:

No offense intended, but the bolded is the most ridiculous argument I have ever seen to support breast feeding.  We're the only mammal that is capable of doing all sorts of things, like make and use technology, so how is this surprising in any way??  How *would* another species even try to get its young to feed from another animal?  Now I'm picturing a pig trying to get its young to feed from a cow.  Come on, really?

I plan on breastfeeding, by the way.  I plan on breastfeeding because it is free, it is a good way to bond with my baby and I know the passage of the maternal specific antibodies early in breast feeding is very useful for future immunity of the baby.

Just because I'm cranky, I have to comment on this, too.  This is really not personal, I don't know you, I just really hate when people make the argument that something is made of chemicals and is therefore inherently bad.  YOU are made up of chemicals, your breast milk is also made up of chemicals.  Every single thing on the planet is made up of chemical elements, like carbon, hydrogen, oxygen.  There would be no life without chemistry!

Off my soap box.

These are my personal opinions and my motivations for choosing the breastfeed.  If you don't respond the same way to these facts, that is fine.  She didn't ask why your neighbor is BF, or why you think the world should do it.  My personal belief is that the perfect food, free of man-made chemicals and made especially for our young, is stored in my body.  I am not okay using something that we have created to mimic breastmilk when I am healthy and able to do it myself. 

Just because you think it's ridiculous doesn't mean that it is ridiculous to everyone else.  Different perspectives illicit different responses.

• imagedanes22:

image10kris:

I don't believe babies can get your allergies through breastfeeding.  A lot of what I read actually says that breastfeeding helps to prevent allergies (regardless of any allergies mom has).

That said, do your research.  In the end this is a decision you and your SO need to make.

Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"