June 2011 Moms

Nicknames for Victoria?

DH and I are still working on a name... we both like the name Victoria and think it works well with our other daughters' names (Christa and Josephine), but we hate the nicknames Vicky and Tori. Honest opinions needed... What's the chance that she would go through life just being called Victoria without having people shorten it at some point to Vicky or Tori?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nicknames for Victoria?

• Probably slim.....it's just too many syllables for people to not make a nickname at some point or another.  I had a friend named Victoria in hs and we called her Vix.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Honestly, slim to none. That is my top name, but I HATE the nicknames. So we are passing on the name altogether.

Everytime we told someone "victoria" they smiled and said "Oh, Vicky?" or "Cute. Tori!"

Blegh. Such a beautiful name. Why do people have to ruin it with nicknames? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Truthfully, not gonna happen.....

My niece is Chloe and you would think that is short enough....but at 13, while playing softball her teammates and their parents yell "C'mon Chlo" and it drives her family crazy.

I have also never gone by Kris although my name can be shortened to Kris.  I have had a number of people just assume that it is ok to call me Kris and do.

My husband and I purposely picked names for our daughters that we didn't mind the nn's for, even if we don't use them regularly. (MH also hates his shortened name but is called it sometimes).

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's what we figured. We had taken it off the list because of the nicknames, but are having a hard time coming up with another girls name that we both love so we're circling back around to names that we've already discussed. This is such a hard decision!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't see why it has to be nn...my brothers are Andrew and Edward and I am Caroline none of us have ever been called my a nickname a day in our lives.  My parents were very specific in correcting people when we were little as to our names.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My Dr is Victoria but goes by Vicky. I knew a Victoria in college and she went by Victoria...so you don't have to let people nn her. I really like that name btw.
    Anniversary
    *photo removed*
  • imagecarasriley:
    I don't see why it has to be nn...my brothers are Andrew and Edward and I am Caroline none of us have ever been called my a nickname a day in our lives.  My parents were very specific in correcting people when we were little as to our names.

This, I think a lot of it depends on how forceful you are as a parent (with the name). If you teach people her name is Victoria then most likely she will do the same. My parents always called me Bethany and would correct people when they called me Beth. It pretty much stuck until I met my H whose little sister is Bethany and then we cut my to Beth so it wouldnt confuse her. (she was 13 at the time)

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have heard of Ria, and my room mate in college went by Rory 
  • dh is obsessed with having a daughter named victoria and calling her "vic."  we're considering it as a middle name.
  • My name is Victoria and my parents nicknamed me Vikki as a child. I've tried going by Victoria as an adult (at new jobs and such) and it's never stuck. People always question me for a nickname and if I tell them Victoria is fine, they eventually seem to start calling me "Vic". :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • I am a Jennifer and prefer being called by my full name.  I never went by a nn growing up.  It is SO HARD to get people to call me Jennifer.  They automatically shorten it to Jen.  I tell everyone I prefer Jennifer....I have had people say back that they don't care and will call me Jen.  SO ANNOYING.  But, Jennifer might be more popular than Victoria....the main reason people give me for calling me Jen is that their friend/cousin/sister is Jennifer and always goes by Jen so it is automatic for them.  (I don't buy this story, haha.)

What would her middle name be?  Her nn could be her initials. 

• Well my full first name is actually Tori, but people always assume its a nickname for Victoria. My parents liked the name Victoria, but didn't like the nickname Vicky so they just named me what they wanted me to be called instead of the full name and risking a nn they didn't like.

You can try to correct people and get them to call her Victoria, but that's a long name to get people to stick with. A nn may also just naturally develop based on her personality or what she likes to be called when she's older. If you really hate either of the main nn for Victoria,  hopefully you can either come up with another nn you do like or you may want to reconsider using Victoria.

• We have a niece named Victoria, and everyone calls her Vico (pronounced vee-co)
  • imagepregarella:
    Probably slim.....it's just too many syllables for people to not make a nickname at some point or another.  I had a friend named Victoria in hs and we called her Vix.

This. As beautiful of a name as it is, it is so common for others to assume it is okay to shorten that unless your daughter corrected people all over the place to please call her by her full name, the nicknames might persist.

I have a friend Elizabeth that also experienced this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my name is Melanie and aside from my family and very close friends...I DO NOT let people call me Mel...I detest strangers or colleagues calling me Mel- the feigned familiarity just makes my stomach turn. (lol)  I dont generally have a problem with people calling me Mel and I typically refer to myself as Melanie on voicemails or when calling people, writing my name down for people. It's really a non-issue aside from some tactless folks - which I usually gracefully correct. :)

I heart the name Victoria so I would keep it and just tell people you're not keen on the nn's.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • My niece is named Victoria and my SIL calls her Toria. Not sure if you like that any better, but its an option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"