June 2011 Moms

My water broke and I didn't know it - Birth story PIP

Nolan Robert decided to become a May baby and was born on May 30th at 4:59pm.  NOTHING about his birth story was as planned but he is just perfect and we're so in love!!

Sunday evening around 6pm, I went to the bathroom and noticed a very little bit of fluid come out that was light pink.  I mentioned it to MH but just thought it was normal pregnancy discharge since I'd been having a lot.  We kept an eye on it for the rest of the night and it would come and go, but nothing dramatic and never increased in volume.  We thought that maybe it was my fluid leaking but honestly didn't really think that was the case.  Had a few small contractions but nothing out of the ordinary.  So we went to bed.

Monday morning, woke up and felt pretty much the same.  The occasional trickle of light pink fluid but not a whole lot and no timable, regular contractions.  At around 11am, we decided to call the doc and of course she said come in to be checked.  I seriously thought they would check me and send me home.

Got to the hospital at 12:30pm and was checked in L&D ER soon after that and was told that yes, my membranes had in fact ruptured!  MH and I were shocked but excited that this was it!!  Babys' heart rate was reading high on the monitor so they started IV fluids and decided to start some IV antibiotics because my water had been broken for so long and I had a very slight fever.  I was only 1.5cm dilated and 80% effaced but not really contracting so we decided to start inducing with a ripener.  Used the one that dissolved in your mouth rather than the vaginal insertion due to infection risk.  

This is when things started getting really crazy, really fast.  Just as the drug dissolved, the OB on call came in and said she was really concerned about the pattern of his heart rate...he was tachycardic.  It was running really high (170-180) but then decelerating with each contraction, which is a major sign of fetal distress.  The fact that my membranes had been ruptured for so long and that I was only 1.5cm dilated, she knew baby wouldn't handle a prolonged labor so we made the call to go right to a c-section.  I knew a c/s was a possibility because baby had been measuring big for weeks (9 lb 1oz was the estimate) but I thought I would at least get the option to try laboring.  

I guess I still didn't realize how urgent it was to get him out until I asked the nurse when the c/s was going to happen and her reply was "within the next 10 minutes"  WOW....guess this is serious and I started crying.  OB and nurses were great telling me I didn't do anything wrong and that everything was going to be fine.  

So 4.5 hours after walking into the hospital thinking I would be sent back home, Nolan Robert made his appearance at 4:59pm on May 30th.  Turns out he might have knew I would have had a tough time with a vaginal delivery and was sparing me that trauma because he weighed in at 9lb 10oz almost 22in long!!!  All the surgery staff were commenting on how big he was, how big his shoulders were, and how it was probably much better to have done things this way because I might have ended up in the same spot after a long labor or if I was able to vaginally deliver him, I probably would have been in BAD shape after!  

Recovery is going fairly well for me....been walking and took a shower today.  Hoping to go home tomorrow but we'll see how sore I still am.  Nolan and I both needed to be on IV antibiotics until our blood cultures come back but he's doing really well.  Breast feeding like a champ and just perfect!!

So moral of the story is:

1.  Your water can break and you not know it.  It isn't always a dramatic gush!

2.  I know everyone says growth u/s can be very off at this late stage and that baby is probably smaller than predicted....for me, it was just the opposite :)

Re: My water broke and I didn't know it - Birth story PIP

• Aww congrats!  Glad everyone is okay!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• Oh wow, honey! I've been wondering where you've been this week! That explains it! I'm glad that you went in when you did and that things turned out good for you and Nolan! He's so adorable!! Rest as much as you can.. I know the heal time on c/s can be a downer sometimes. Take it easy. wishing you a speedy recovery and lots of love! <3
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations on your new son. He's super cute! 

My sister had a very similar L&D experience and ending up delivering her ten pound son via c-section.  

Charlotte March 2009 Gwyneth June 2011 Team Green March 2013
  • Congrats so glad you both are okay!
  • Wow congratulations! Wishing you a speedy recovery. He is adorable!
    image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • 0hkgbs0hkgbs member
    Glad everything worked out. Wow, he was a good size.
  • Congratulations! He is very cute. I'm so glad you are both doing well.
    DSC_0213 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Congratulations! He's a big little guy and super cute! Glad everything went well.
  • I am so extremely happy for you girl! You were definitely 100% baby, what a tough boy! I'll bet you are already at prepregnancy weight. Congrats mama.
  • Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing. Your son is adorable - congrats!!!!
    ? Kristen & Austin ~ Married 07.04.09 ? Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aww congratulations on your new additon!  He's handsome!  Glad everything worked out and you are both safe!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats on your beautiful boy :) & I love his name!

I'm recovering from an unexpected c-section, too. Hope you continue to feel well! Enjoy your sweet Nolan :)

A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

• Wow, I am wondering if this has happened to me? I know that sounds crazy but I have been seeing slight pink for a couple wks. And Friday at the Dr appt her heart rate was very high, they had to hook me up to a machine to monitor her heartrate for about 20 minutes and it did come down to the 160's, but every time she moved it went back up to 170-180. 

I'm glad everything went well with you and your big little man is here :) but now I am worried about my own LO 

• Congratulations!  That's a big boy!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad things turned out ok and CONGRATS on your gorgeous boy! Hope your recovery goes well!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • cvl105cvl105 member
    congrats! Nolan is super cute!
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Congrats and glad you and baby are doing well!!
  • imagePretzel80:

So moral of the story is:

1.  Your water can break and you not know it.  It isn't always a dramatic gush!

2.  I know everyone says growth u/s can be very off at this late stage and that baby is probably smaller than predicted....for me, it was just the opposite :)

I'm pretending I didn't see this! My estimate was 8lbs at 36.5 weeks, so we're anticipating 9-10lbs if I go all the way to 40 weeks!

And Then There Were Three...
    Married: 08/14/10
    Baby #1 Born: 06/18/11
    June Moms Blog
  • Congrats on your healthy boy!
  • Wow! I'm glad everything worked out and they decided to do the c/s before trying to deliver.

Congratulations on your big boy! He is adorable! 

• Congratulations on your adorable little boy!

peace,
    katharine

Book-Kitten blog

• Congratulations mama!!!!

• He looks so sweet!  Congrats!   I'm glad everything turned out ok even though it didn't go as planned.
  • Awww congrats! He is so cute! Love his face. I think it's so amazing it happened the way it did because pushing out a baby that size does not sound like a good time! lol. Everything went just as it should have been. :)
  • Congratulations on your big guy and thanks for sharing your story! I am so glad that things turned out the way that they did! 
    Our journey as NEWLYWEDS!<3</a>
    My Married Bio

Love, marriage and a baby carriage :)image
  • Congrats!!!! Glad you and the baby are both okay! He's such a cutey!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congratulations!! So glad everything turned out ok.
    Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"