Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Patriotism

I saw a bumper sticker today that read:

"Patriotism is standing by our soldiers no matter what they do and standing by our government when they deserve it"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Patriotism

• Uh-huh.

And is that supposed to apply to soldiers who are tried (and convicted) of murder? Oh, right, that never happens...

• ::cough::Bullshits::cough::

ETA - Hold up.  "when they deserve it"? So patriotism is equivalent to being a fair-weather fan?

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Loading the player...
  • Best one I ever saw was "Republicans for Voldemort."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Do you have an opinion or is this in and of itself supposed to stir the pot?
  • imageHeather R:

Best one I ever saw was "Republicans for Voldemort."

I just literally spit soda all over my keyboard.

• imageyankeebaby2:
    Do you have an opinion or is this in and of itself supposed to stir the pot?

I am not a pot stirrer like some people I know.

I just saw the bumper sticker and thought I would share.

No, we shouldn't stand by our soldiers even when they commit murder and rape, but we do a lot more then that crap. Give us credit where credit is due.

• imageHeather R:

i love that one.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageHeather R:

Who?

• imageHeather R:

Lol! I like Sarah Palin for president 2012? The mayans tried to warn us and somewhere in alaska an igloo is missing an idiot

• imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:

Who?

DUDE. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageMasonismylove:

imageyankeebaby2:

No, we shouldn't stand by our soldiers even when they commit murder and rape, but we do a lot more then that crap. Give us credit where credit is due.

I don't even understand this part. So you're saying it's ok to rape & murder, so long as you "do a lot more than that crap"?

And what credit? What does "credit" mean in this sentence?

• imageDaisyFull:
    imageMasonismylove:

imageyankeebaby2:

I don't even understand this part. So you're saying it's ok to rape & murder, so long as you "do a lot more than that crap"?

I do not think it is righ to take a life or to rape someone NEVER. I  meant we (as in all the soldiers) fight for this country and I wish we were given more credit and it didn't pop into people's minds (like you) that when they see the word "soldier" they don't automatically assume we are all murderers and rapists.

• imageHeather R:

I have seen that one too! I love the "Who is John Galt?" ones myself.
  • imageMasonismylove:
    imageDaisyFull:
    imageMasonismylove:

imageyankeebaby2:

I do not think it is righ to take a life or to rape someone NEVER. I  meant we (as in all the soldiers) fight for this country and I wish we were given more credit and it didn't pop into people's minds (like you) that when they see the word "soldier" they don't automatically assume we are all murderers and rapists.

Haha. I certainly do not think all soldiers are rapists and murderers.

You threw out a blanket statement, and I responded with a question. 

Your statement said Patriotism = standing by our soldiers "no matter what they do".

I think it's a moronic statement.

• imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:

Who?

I am aghast.

::faints::

• imageDaisyFull:
    imageMasonismylove:
    imageDaisyFull:
    imageMasonismylove:

imageyankeebaby2:

Haha. I certainly do not think all soldiers are rapists and murderers.

You threw out a blanket statement, and I responded with a question. 

Your statement said Patriotism = standing by our soldiers "no matter what they do".

I think it's a moronic statement.

Well unlike you, I have an open mind. "standing by our solders no matter what they do" can mean anything and no, rapists and murderers did not enter my mind. Soldiers, like me, who are on inactive duty, who can be called up at any moment to defend this country, or the Vet who re-ups to fight another war after retirement. That is what I meant.

• imageHeather R:
    imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:

Who?

I am aghast.

OMG!!!! I am so sorry that I don't follow politics like you do.Sleep

• imageMasonismylove:

Well unlike you, I have an open mind. "standing by our solders no matter what they do" can mean anything and no, rapists and murderers did not enter my mind. Soldiers, like me, who are on inactive duty, who can be called up at any moment to defend this country, or the Vet who re-ups to fight another war after retirement. That is what I meant.

A) No, it really can't mean anything - it means what it says. It means we should stand by our soldiers no matter what they do. It's pretty clear, unless you know a different meaning of the words "no" "matter" and/or "what".

B) I appreciate the service that soldiers provide. I still do not think we need to stand behind them "no.matter.what.they.do"

And how, pray tell, am I not being open-minded? Enlighten me.

• imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:
    imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:

Who?

I am aghast.

and I just peed my pants.  Yes, Voldemort was president and was impeached for high crimes after it was discovered during Voldemortgate. 

• imageMasonismylove:

It's Harry Potter, not politics, and I'm fainting because I love Harry Potter so much.Crying

• imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:
    imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:

Who?

I am aghast.

WhatTheMotherFuck. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageyankeebaby2:
    imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:
    imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:

Who?

I am aghast.

and I just peed my pants.  Yes, Voldemort was president and was impeached for high crimes after it was discobered during Voldemortgate. 

They tried him for war crimes after the quidditch match, right? 

• imageDaisyFull:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:
    imageMasonismylove:
    imageHeather R:

Who?

I am aghast.

and I just peed my pants.  Yes, Voldemort was president and was impeached for high crimes after it was discobered during Voldemortgate. 

They tried him for war crimes after the quidditch match, right? 

The horcruxes were the smoking gun, so to speak. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• I'm sorry, whether it is Harry Potter or a real govt official, I still have no idea who this is.
  • imageMasonismylove:
    I'm sorry, whether it is Harry Potter or a real govt official, I still have no idea who this is.
    There's this thing called Google, it's helpful in doing research so you don't make a fool of yourself.
  • imageBrandi Bee:
    Patriotism, at least the kind I've witnessed, is a concept I don't really get.

What kind did you witness?

• imageALG29:
    imageMasonismylove:
    I'm sorry, whether it is Harry Potter or a real govt official, I still have no idea who this is.
    There's this thing called Google, it's helpful in doing research so you don't make a fool of yourself.

Oh I'm sorry. I'm not Yankee JR. I don't google everything. And I really don't care to know.

• imageMasonismylove:

How old are you? Have you not turned on a TV, gone into a bookstore or seen any other people in the last 15 years?

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Holy shiit I'm glad I saw this. 
  • imagecinema_goddess:

imageMasonismylove:

How old are you? Have you not turned on a TV, gone into a bookstore or seen any other people in the last 15 years?

Of course I have, but I am better with faces then names.

• imageDaisyFull:
    imageMasonismylove:

A) No, it really can't mean anything - it means what it says. It means we should stand by our soldiers no matter what they do. It's pretty clear, unless you know a different meaning of the words "no" "matter" and/or "what".

B) I appreciate the service that soldiers provide. I still do not think we need to stand behind them "no.matter.what.they.do"

And how, pray tell, am I not being open-minded? Enlighten me.

IMO the bumper sticker said that because when soldiers came back from Vietnam, they were treated horribly.  Soldiers follow orders, it's their job and duty.  I'm leaning towards the bumper sticker saying that because people say negative things about soldiers when it's not them who decide what their mission or objective is.  I highly doubt the bumper sticker was saying support our troops, even the ones who commit rape, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrandi Bee:
    imageMasonismylove:

imageBrandi Bee:
    Patriotism, at least the kind I've witnessed, is a concept I don't really get.

What kind did you witness?

Just people who are proud they were born in their country, etc.  Or think their country is superior. I don't get it.  I was born here because my parents lived here when they got pregnant with me.  Not because I accomplished coming here so why should I have pride?  I mean, I'm happy in America.  I just assume I'd be happy in Canada or Ireland too, if I'd live there my whole life anyway.

There are things ABOUT America that make me proud.  Like the first black president.  I don't get the whole, "We are AMERICANS" attitude around me, though.

I live in KY, so that probably explains it.

I understand what you are saying.

My father, sister, and brother were born in Italy but when they came here and became citizens, they were proud to say that they are Italian-Americans. Is this what you mean?

• imageMasonismylove:
    imagecinema_goddess:

imageMasonismylove:

Then how in the world do you NOT know who Harry Potter is?

I think you're just making stuff up now.  I don't believe anyone who says they've never heard of Harry Potter. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageUnpossible:
    imageMasonismylove:
    imagecinema_goddess:

imageMasonismylove:

OMGWTFBBQ somebody PIP Voldemort RIGHT NOW!!!

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• lol at now being when everyone's bullshiit meter went off

• imageabc123xyzandsoforth:

IMO the bumper sticker said that because when soldiers came back from Vietnam, they were treated horribly.  Soldiers follow orders, it's their job and duty.  I'm leaning towards the bumper sticker saying that because people say negative things about soldiers when it's not them who decide what their mission or objective is.  I highly doubt the bumper sticker was saying support our troops, even the ones who commit rape, etc. 

It's open to a lot interpretation, and I'm not disagreeing with your explanation. But I couldn't pass up an opportunity to play semantics with MML. It's just too easy.

And really, the wording is rather moronic, no matter what the author meant.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"