Babies: 9 - 12 Months

DD throwing up from straining to go poo??

So for about two weeks now DD has been throwing up randomly.  We have been noticing a pattern lately because we've been paying more attention to her to try to figure out what is causing her to vomit.  The last few times I have seen her throw up she is grunting and making her "poopy face"....The dr says she doesn't think she's the reason she is throwing up as to do with her straining but I really think it does.  On the drs orders we cut all dairy and formula from her diet last week and replaced her feedings with ricedream and juice while she has been taking florastore (a probiotic) to rebalance the good bacteria in her belly in case she had a slight bug.  Well we finished the florastore last night and had 5 straight days with no throwing up.  Then this morning we got her up and she drank about 4 oz of ricedream climbed down off our bed and went in the corner and started making all kinds of noise and faces trying to poop.  She stopped for no more than a few seconds and threw up all over the carpet. 

Has anyone else been through this?  She goes poop 1-3 times a day.  Over the last 2 weeks she has thrown up at least a dozen times and will act totally fine right afterward.  We are giving her pear, apple and prune juice-all that should help soften her poo to make it easier to go. 

I just don't know what to do for her because I can't really predict when it's going to happen.  Sometimes she even does it at nap time.  It won't bother her either.  I'll go in her room and she and her crib will be coverd in throw up. 

The dr said when it gets to the point that it hurts her too badly to go to the bathroom that her little brain will decide to just hold it in.  She said that is a worse problem to try to fix so to try to make it easier for her to go.  The thing is I am doing everything I know.  Nothing had changed in her diet to bring this on.  She eats some people food, organic baby food and Enfamil formula until we put her on the Ricedream.  Any suggestions?? 

Re: DD throwing up from straining to go poo??

• Yikes.  Is there a pediatric GI doctor you can see?  Sounds like her little system is all sorts of messed up.
  • I thought rice was binding.  I think you can give babies small doses of Miralax.  I would ask the pedi about that.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Loading the player...
  • RoxpupRoxpup member
    imagesnansley:
    Yikes.  Is there a pediatric GI doctor you can see?  Sounds like her little system is all sorts of messed up.

100% this.  Her bowels could have major issues.  I think it's strange that your doctor isn't doing more for her.  Poor little girl!  GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Poor thing. DD has always had to work at it in terms of her pooping, it's so sad to see! She has vomited once while doing it, but I definitely agree with PP's and taking her to see a GI doctor. We always make sure she gets prunes or prune juice at least once a day or every two days. And we take it easy on the bananas and other foods that can cause constipation.
  • Our pediatrician's office gives this website as a resource for GI issues.

https://www.naspghan.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=291

• Thanks ladies!  The dr we saw the last two times is not our normal dr.  And she's been great I just think there is more that can be done.  We have her 1 year check up with our normal pedi next week and I'll talk to him with my concerns.  In the meantime I'll check out that website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"