Babies: 9 - 12 Months

speaking of weed

Do you look down on moms who smoke weed after their children are asleep?

I don't smoke and I never really gave it any thought.  Is it any different than havinga  nightcap?  I do have a nightcap every night. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: speaking of weed

• Not at all.  To me, it's no different from a nightcap. 

I also don't look down on dads who smoke weed after the kids are asleep. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Young babies, yes.  Especially if they're not sleeping though the night.  If a mom is high and there is no one else in the house to care for the baby should LO wake up then I think it's irresponsible.  

But older children?  Nah.   

Drinking and smoking can't  really be compared.  You can drink one beer and not feel the alcohol.  You can take one hit and be high. 

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Loading the player...
  • Weed is illegal (unless you have a medical card for it in California) nightcaps are not so think there is a big difference, but to each their own. Just smoke it outside. But if you are drinking to get drunk or smoking to get high on a nightly basis I'd look down on you.
  • imageMrsLacy:

Young babies, yes.  Especially if they're not sleeping though the night.  If a mom is high and there is no one else in the house to care for the baby should LO wake up then I think it's irresponsible.  

Drinking and smoking can't  really be compared.  You can drink one beer and not feel the alcohol.  You can take one hit and be high. 

Not if you're not used to drinking.  I get a pretty serious buzz off of one PBR. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• It's not my cup of tea. I feel like if the parents do these behaviors then their kids will pick up on them most of the time. If they do weed when their kids are toddlers they will most likely be doing it when their kids are teens IMO. I give people the side eye when they come into my work smelling of it. It grosses me out.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • I sort-of do.  Its not the action itself, but it is the whole "what if you get caught thing."  For example, if I drink after Snuggle goes to bed, it is not illegal.  I don't really risk much.  But, by smoking weed or doing something else illegal I risk getting arrested, losing my job, losing Snuggle.  I think it is pretty irresponsible of me to think that none of that would happen to me, blah, blah, blah.  Not worth it and i don't see why someone else would think it is.

I actually know a couple who smoke every night after their kids go to bed.  They just keep saying nothing is going to happen, etc. which I think is fairly arrogant of them.

That being said, I think pot should be legal anyway, and then I wouldn't care.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is a tough one. I think weed is great and think it should be legalized. And, I don't have a problem with a parent smoking every now and again.

However, it is illegal so getting high every night with a kid in your house seems sort of shady. But, really, if it's not affecting your parenting skills then I guess I shouldn't really look down on people who do it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageALG29:
    Weed is illegal (unless you have a medical card for it in California) nightcaps are not so think there is a big difference, but to each their own. Just smoke it outside. But if you are drinking to get drunk or smoking to get high on a nightly basis I'd look down on you.

This and only the bold. I think doing anything illegal when you have kids or around your kids is no bueno. Also when you sneak into the bathroom with 2+ other people your kids are not dumb even at a young age and probably know what's going on. Speaking from experience. Sad sad shiit.

ETA: and my only issue is the fact that it is illegal. if it wasn't I still wouldn't do it, but I don't think it would be as bad. While people do have nightcaps, most people who smoke weed don't take a hit and leave it at that. They usually do it to get hella high so in that case I don't think it's okay. And I don't think drinking to get shiitfaced after your kids go to sleep is okay either. You never know when your baby might wake up.

• imagecinema_goddess:
    imageMrsLacy:

Young babies, yes.  Especially if they're not sleeping though the night.  If a mom is high and there is no one else in the house to care for the baby should LO wake up then I think it's irresponsible.  

Not if you're not used to drinking.  I get a pretty serious buzz off of one PBR. 

Lightweight.

IDK, I guess I equal being high to being drunk.  You can drink and not get drunk immediately unless you're taking a bottle to the head.   But in my experience, there really is no in-between with weed.  It's either you're high or you're not.

• I wish my mom would have smoked and sometimes still do. She gets too stressed. She needs to relax, man.
    Me: 31   DH: 34
    Married: 5/12/07
    DD: 7/28/10
    TTC#2: 10/2014

• imageMrsLacy:
    imagecinema_goddess:
    imageMrsLacy:

Lightweight.

IDK, I guess I equal being high to being drunk.  You can drink and not get drunk immediately unless you're taking a bottle to the head.   But in my experience, there really is no in-between with weed.  It's either you're high or you're not.

More like "cheap date".

I guess it depends on the person and their experience with weed.  I've seen varying degrees of highness when people have smoked.  I think it also depends on what kind of weed you're smoking.  If you're smoking brick weed, then you're not nearly as high as if you were smoking some homegrown shizz from BC. 

Not that I would know anything about that, Bump Police. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imagezeptattoo:

I sort-of do.  Its not the action itself, but it is the whole "what if you get caught thing."  For example, if I drink after Snuggle goes to bed, it is not illegal.  I don't really risk much.  But, by smoking weed or doing something else illegal I risk getting arrested, losing my job, losing Snuggle.  I think it is pretty irresponsible of me to think that none of that would happen to me, blah, blah, blah.  Not worth it and i don't see why someone else would think it is.

I actually know a couple who smoke every night after their kids go to bed.  They just keep saying nothing is going to happen, etc. which I think is fairly arrogant of them.

this. I also agree with a pp who said not with young babies who need you almost 24/7.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • To each his own.

I know some smokers, and I can't imagine them not being able to respond to an emergency should one arise. I'll even put it out that the stoner would  be probably in better shape to deal with an emergency than someone who has had a few cocktails. At least the stoner could drive. ;)

With that being said, (in most cases) smoking is still illegal so I guess you take your chances. 

• imagecinema_goddess:

Not at all.  To me, it's no different from a nightcap. 

yeah, that was pretty sexist of me. 

• imagecinema_goddess:
    More like "cheap date".

I guess it depends on the person and their experience with weed.  I've seen varying degrees of highness when people have smoked.  I think it also depends on what kind of weed you're smoking.  If you're smoking brick weed, then you're not nearly as high as if you were smoking some homegrown shizz from BC. 

Not that I would know anything about that, Bump Police. 

::takes note that the good shizz comes from BC::

Nothing to see here, folks.  Move along. 

• imageyankeebaby2:
    imagecinema_goddess:

Not at all.  To me, it's no different from a nightcap. 

yeah, that was pretty sexist of me. 

LOL!

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• imageashnoelle:
    imagezeptattoo:

I sort-of do.  Its not the action itself, but it is the whole "what if you get caught thing."  For example, if I drink after Snuggle goes to bed, it is not illegal.  I don't really risk much.  But, by smoking weed or doing something else illegal I risk getting arrested, losing my job, losing Snuggle.  I think it is pretty irresponsible of me to think that none of that would happen to me, blah, blah, blah.  Not worth it and i don't see why someone else would think it is.

this. I also agree with a pp who said not with young babies who need you almost 24/7.

All of this....especially the bold part ;)

• I have never really thought about it. I don't smoke or have friends that do so it doesn't really ever come up.

I don't care what people do in their own home except for the fact that it is illegal and if cops ever found out and came to the house to arrest the parents, what happens to the kids? I think it's just too risky especially when they are so young.

• imageemilydholmes1:

I have never really thought about it. I don't smoke or have friends that do so it doesn't really ever come up.

I don't care what people do in their own home except for the fact that it is illegal and if cops ever found out and came to the house to arrest the parents, what happens to the kids? I think it's just too risky especially when they are so young.

I'm not trying to downplay the fact that it is indeed illegal, at all, but I don't think a whole lot of police man power is spent on trying to bust Mom & Dad smoking a joint in their home. Ya know?

• I do look down on anyone who smokes after their kids go down for the night. The way I see it, not only is it illegal, but it's also selfish. Do you really need to smoke and risk not being clearheaded if an emergency were to arise? That being said, I feel the same way about alcohol - but that could be because I am an extreme lightweight so I don't touch it unless DD is being watched for the night.
  • Not really.  H used to be a 24/7 pot smoker.  I have never cared for it, don't like what it does to me.  Then H stopped before LO was born.  He probably smokes once a month now.  
    proof-3 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • That's the one redeeming quality of MA...weed is pretty much legal here.  I have no issue with it whatsoever.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• imageDaisyFull:
    imageemilydholmes1:

I have never really thought about it. I don't smoke or have friends that do so it doesn't really ever come up.

I'm not trying to downplay the fact that it is indeed illegal, at all, but I don't think a whole lot of police man power is spent on trying to bust Mom & Dad smoking a joint in their home. Ya know?

Oh I agree with you. The normal me doesn't care at all. The tiny extremely responsible part of me would worry about the what if though.

• imageBostonKisses2:
    Are we talking inside the house or outside the house (like on a porch/patio/deck/whatever)?

I'm not sure that was specifically stated, but I can't imagine anyone would be down with smoking anything inside the home. When I used in the "in their home" reference, I didn't mean it literally.

• imageMrsLacy:

but this is why they're dangerous for noobs. experienced users tend to know how much is too much and this goes for weed and alcohol. the kid who drinks one shot with no effect will often down another 3 before he feels anything.

we just watched "should i smoke dope?", which was a bbc program about weed. every single person compared it to alcohol, from users to dealers to researchers.

what would you compare smoking to?

• imageDaisyFull:

To each his own.

I know some smokers, and I can't imagine them not being able to respond to an emergency should one arise. I'll even put it out that the stoner would  be probably in better shape to deal with an emergency than someone who has had a few cocktails. At least the stoner could drive. ;)

With that being said, (in most cases) smoking is still illegal so I guess you take your chances. 

Umm....I hope you're kidding about this.  Being high while driving is just as dangerous as being drunk.  You can still get arrested for it the same as if you were drunk.  And if the kids were in the car you would be in even more trouble.  At least in our state that is the law. 

• imageDaisyFull:
    imageemilydholmes1:

Yes 

FotoFlexer_Photo-1 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We smoke 7 days a week after our kids go to bed. We have a vaporizer so it doesn't funk up the house or make smoke that would be bad for them to inhale.

I also think that if I were "loaded" and needed to act/react quickly that I would be more calm, could process the situation better and react far better than I would not "loaded". We all know how emotional we can get in a scary situation and then have to take the time to process it all and react.

Just sayin!

We smoke for medical reasons so :p

• I don't judge.  Weed is an effective mood depressant, and some doctors prescribe specific drugs for that so, ... I guess you have to know your own limitations?  I am not giving up my beer or wine or anything, so that's my answer.
    Shot first, questions later.
  • imageKellBell88:

Umm....I hope you're kidding about this.  Being high while driving is just as dangerous as being drunk.  You can still get arrested for it the same as if you were drunk.  And if the kids were in the car you would be in even more trouble.  At least in our state that is the law. 

actually, it isn't. i'm not advocating driving while high, but you're mistaken according to almost every single piece of research on the subject.

"Surprisingly, most lab experiments show that stoned drivers perform little worse than sober ones, except when pot is combined with alcohol. Many researchers have concluded that this is because drivers who are high are very aware that they are impaired, and deal with their neurological and psychological deficiencies by adopting coping mechanisms to compensate ? even overcompensate ? for their altered state. This leads to stoned drivers driving at lower speeds, leaving greater following distances between cars and making fewer efforts to pass other vehicles.

Interestingly, it seems that pot impairs ?automatic? functions, like reaction time or the ability to stay in one?s lane, while leaving ?cognitive? functions (e.g. the choice of speed) comparatively intact. Alcohol, on the other hand, degrades cognitive function, with drunks much more prone to making risky choices behind the wheel."

https://www.freakonomics.com/2010/11/08/is-it-safe-to-be-high-on-the-highway/

additionally, the problem with testing for highness is that marijuana stays in your system a long time. you will test positive long after the effects have subsided, unlike a test for drunkenness. when you test someone's blood alcohol, you're measuring how impaired they are, whereas when you test for thc, you're measuring what might have been smoked days ago.

again, i am not saying it's ok to drive high, but i am annoyed by how ignorant most people are about how the drug actually works.

• I say the world would be a better place is weed was legalized (or at the very least decriminalized) and everyone parents included smoked a fatty once a week.

I do not judge.  

• imagebstrangely:
    imageKellBell88:

actually, it isn't. i'm not advocating driving while high, but you're mistaken according to almost every single piece of research on the subject.

"Surprisingly, most lab experiments show that stoned drivers perform little worse than sober ones, except when pot is combined with alcohol. Many researchers have concluded that this is because drivers who are high are very aware that they are impaired, and deal with their neurological and psychological deficiencies by adopting coping mechanisms to compensate ? even overcompensate ? for their altered state. This leads to stoned drivers driving at lower speeds, leaving greater following distances between cars and making fewer efforts to pass other vehicles.

Interestingly, it seems that pot impairs ?automatic? functions, like reaction time or the ability to stay in one?s lane, while leaving ?cognitive? functions (e.g. the choice of speed) comparatively intact. Alcohol, on the other hand, degrades cognitive function, with drunks much more prone to making risky choices behind the wheel."

additionally, the problem with testing for highness is that marijuana stays in your system a long time. you will test positive long after the effects have subsided, unlike a test for drunkenness. when you test someone's blood alcohol, you're measuring how impaired they are, whereas when you test for thc, you're measuring what might have been smoked days ago.

again, i am not saying it's ok to drive high, but i am annoyed by how ignorant most people are about how the drug actually works.

Well that was a nicely compile scientific answer.  Good job.  

• imagebstrangely:
    imageKellBell88:

Well that was a nicely compiled scientific answer.  Good job.  

• imageSummerMoni'Que:

imageALG29:
    Weed is illegal (unless you have a medical card for it in California) nightcaps are not so think there is a big difference, but to each their own. Just smoke it outside. But if you are drinking to get drunk or smoking to get high on a nightly basis I'd look down on you.

This and only the bold. I think doing anything illegal when you have kids or around your kids is no bueno. Also when you sneak into the bathroom with 2+ other people your kids are not dumb even at a young age and probably know what's going on. Speaking from experience. Sad sad shiit.

ETA: and my only issue is the fact that it is illegal. if it wasn't I still wouldn't do it, but I don't think it would be as bad. While people do have nightcaps, most people who smoke weed don't take a hit and leave it at that. They usually do it to get hella high so in that case I don't think it's okay. And I don't think drinking to get shiitfaced after your kids go to sleep is okay either. You never know when your baby might wake up.

This. Another thing is that they can't test my kid and see if I have a night cap. They can if i've been smoking around them.

• imagebstrangely:
    imageKellBell88:

Well I guess it depends on the source because I have read tons of research saying that it does impair your driving. Whatever I guess. I wouldn't do it though. 

• imagehuber22:
    This. Another thing is that they can't test my kid and see if I have a night cap. They can if i've been smoking around them.

arg, don't get me started on this. i made the mistake of telling my ob that i had smoked on the initial questionnaire. had. past tense. i gave it up when i got pregnant... weeks before i saw her. and that means, when i gave birth, the state of ca taped a ziplock bag to my baby's wiener to test him for drugs. it took days for them to get anything, and we tested negative. i also had to speak to a counselor because i admitted to having been depressed in the past. like, years in the past.

this approach is idiotic and a waste of everyone's time. on the plus side, dh and i were legally banned from changing any diapers for the first few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"