1st Trimester

Embarrassing TMI post...need advice

Ladies, I am so embarrassed that I'm having to write this. The only reason I'm asking is because I've always gotten awesome advice from these boards. I know that with pregnancy comes constipation. But lately I have been absolutely miserable. I can't go to the bathroom at all. I realized on friday that I hadn't had a BM since Monday or Tuesday. I've been trying to drink plenty of fluids but I guess my "plenty" is not enough...I ended up having severe abdominal cramps Friday night and called my doctor's office. The nurse practitioner returned my call and told me some remedies to try (which I already had)then told me to go to the ER. I felt like I was jumping the gun, but I went. I waited six hours with my abd cramps and finally got to see a doctor at 3am. He rehydrated me and ended up doing a mineral oil enema (I'm so embarrassed!) it fixed the problem. I didn't have a BM the rest of that day or the rest of that weekend. I only ate broth and/or soups and drank a ton of water, Gatorade, and apple juice. Today I felt the "urge" and tried...nothing. I know I have to go but Im that constipated that I can't. You guys I've tried miralax, colace, more fluids, fiber supplements, another enema, etc....nothing has worked. My stomach aches and I constantly feel nauseated. I know that the majority of what I've done just helps prevent the issue, not resolve it. I have a doctor appointment Wednesday and actually plan on calling on the morning to see if they can recommend anything. But I need advice now. I've never been so uncomfortable. Surely SOMEONE here has been through this. What can I do to help now?? Like I said, I am so embarrassed so please be nice. I wouldn't wish this on anyone!
BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Embarrassing TMI post...need advice

• So sorry it's all jumbled together. I'm on my phone and obviously my enter key doesn't work.
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Kflie83Kflie83 member
    Talk to your Dr and get a prescription for prenatals with an added stool softener! Good luck! All I can think of is lots of fruit and frosted mini wheats! Oh and stay away from cheese! I know that some women become lactose intolerant during pregnancy, so maybe try cutting out dairy for a little while to see if that helps? Make sure you care getting your calcium in other ways though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • So sorry your dealing with this - I know it sucks! The best advice I can give you is to ease up on the Gatorade (it has a lot of sodium in it and will eventually dry you out - my doctor told me this with my first), and I have resorted to eating a bowl of All Bran Buds with a cut up banana every morning. It's not the tastiest, but I haven't had a problem going since I started about 4 months ago (you'll still have the constipation problems postpartum most likely - sorry!) HTH
  • Oh boy I had this problem with dd all the 9 months. Its NOT fun. First talk with the doc.

I know my doc said to take fiber....benefiber (the one that is powder) he said that will help with lots of water and Colace pills (stool softener) that being said and done. I think I had a BM every 3 days with dd..........Good luck I know it stinks.....

Always talk with your doc before you do or take anything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you tried miralax twice a day? That's what my dr had me do when Ii had an ileus.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
    Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mbf124mbf124 member
    Take miralax 1 per day plus all the liquids you are drinking. Also add in tons of fruit with the skins on them! It will help with extra fiber and extra fluids. Try for at least 3-4 servings of fruit, that definitely helped me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Try prunes or pune juice - nature's laxitive
  • NoodleMNoodleM member

The one thing that gets me going when it's too late to take a preventative like metamucil is a cup of coffee. One a day doesn't hurt and like clockwork I need to go after. Might be an idea to try?

I know others on here have mentioned getting enemas, so don't be embarrassed! We all go through this together :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• MyeMye member

pineapple and strawberries are like a miracle for my stomach...

good luck 

• imageLegalPawn:

I've had the same problems as you...going a week or more without pooping and it gets quite painful.  I tried EVERYTHING and nothing was helping.  Well, I take that back, I had mild relief occasionally if I drank enough prune juice, but nothing substantial. 

For me (and this may not work for anyone else), I found that sitting down to a really greasy pizza is my cure all.  I'm not even kidding.  So, when it gets to the point of pain and discomfort and nothing else has helped...that's what I do.  And, it works.

Mines McDonalds. Works every time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNoodleM:

The one thing that gets me going when it's too late to take a preventative like metamucil is a cup of coffee. One a day doesn't hurt and like clockwork I need to go after. Might be an idea to try?

I know others on here have mentioned getting enemas, so don't be embarrassed! We all go through this together :)

I so forgot about coffee...I haven't had a drop of it since BFP..but I may have to try that!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"