July 2011 Moms

For thoes having DD's...Ear peirceing?

So while doing some FB stalking I saw pictures a wife of a friend just posted of their 5 week old with her new earrings. She had huge tears and was all red faced from crying. (Which is pretty much how I looked at 13 when I got mine pierced...not gonna lie)

DH says he never wants to get any holes stuck in our girls, because they are perfect. I don't see it happening anytime before they can take care of them themselves, 

But it made me wonder what everyone else thought.

~Kati~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For thoes having DD's...Ear peirceing?

• We're doing it sometime before 6m 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We didn't do DD #1 and won't do this one either, until they are about 7 or 8. Just our choice. I don't get all worked up about this though like some people do, to each their own and I know for a lot of people it's a cultural rite of passage for infants.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Loading the player...
  • I have heard that too, I just hadn't even thought much about it because DH is so opposed to it. I know my cousin did her DD's at 2.5 because she asked for it, and she never had any troubles with them getting infected or closing up. 

~Kati~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't know if LO is a boy or girl - we're waiting to find out until it arrives.  I've thought about this issue several times.  Girls in DH's family have theirs done when they're babies.  In my family, we had to wait until we were either 12 or 13 and could take care of our ears on our own.  I think I'm leaning more toward the way my family handled it.  I can't see putting an infant through that. 
    PitaPata Dog tickers Visit The Nest! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Some people get really worked up over this topic; I am not one of them.  I think it's cute on some babies.  We'll probably wait until she's old enough to take care of them herself though.

• Not feeling it either. I still have vivid memories of being in the Dr's Office and screaming my bloody head off when I was a Toddler...I just remember the needle...not the pain...

So I haven't had the heart to put DD through it ...it's all personal preference though! I figure when she is ready she'll ask for earrings...and I'll be happy to take her...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKateB1984:

I want to wait until my DD is old enough to ask for them and want them done (and agree to cooperate with the maintenance). I begged for them for my 3rd birthday (which I think is quite young) and my parents let me have them. My niece just got them for her 5th birthday, and she'd been asking for at least 1.5 years and is really good about letting my SIL clean them. I think sometime between 4-8, depending on if my DD is even interested.

My thoughts as well. Though I'm not having a girl, I'm with the mindset that waiting until the child wants them is best. I remember getting mine done at four and I had to take care of them myself, which made me appreciate it all the more. I'm just not a fan of babies with earrings.

• Absolutely will not be doing it. I don't care for how it looks on babies at all. She can make the choice herself and we'll make it a fun rite of passage sort of thing.
  • I got mine when I was 5. I think that is a good age. But agree that they do look really cute on some babies. I also agree it would be nice to just wait til they are old enough to take care of them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ash&VicAsh&Vic member

We will be piercing DD's ears as soon as the pediatrician lets us. I don't really care for how girls look without earings on. It may also be a cultural thing because in our families and in our circle of friends it's very rare to see an older girl who doesn't have her ears pierced.

I know it will hurt, but it will hurt regardless of what age she is. I imagine the pain a baby boy must feel when he is circumcised is much worse, but then again what would I know.

Mr.&Mrs. Ash&Vic Est.1.21.2006 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first daughter is 3 and does not have them pierced.  I want her to be the one that wants them and the responsibility of taking care of them, I don't want to make that decision for her.  I got mine pierced when I was 6.  We will not pierce our other daughter's either until she asks for them.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• H & I were just discussing this today!  We're Team Green but agree we'd wait till she asks for it/wants it herself...probably around 4 or 5 as earliest we'd do...I was 6.

• lucylealucylea member
    I wasn't opposed to it with DD and most of our family on both sides has it done as infants, but it honestly just never came up.  She still hasn't asked for it, but if she does we would consider it at this point.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageCOMomma81:
    Absolutely will not be doing it. I don't care for how it looks on babies at all. She can make the choice herself and we'll make it a fun rite of passage sort of thing.

This exactly. Seems weird to me to do it on a baby before they even know what it is.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • I had a lot of problems after piercing my ears. We are going to wait until she is old enough to make the decision for herself and when she can care for her own ears.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • We'll wait till she asks for them. I don't think it's cute on babies at all. Hopefully she's in grade school when she asks. We wouldn't do it any time before the age of five.
  • I will let her pierce her ears when she's old enough to ask.

DD born 07/2011 DD due 11/18/2013
  • We are having a boy, but if we ever have a girl we will be getting her ears pierced around 6 months. That's when I got mine pierced, and I think its adorable on babies. FWIW, I got my second and third holes pierced at 13 and 16, and those get infected everytime I put earrings in. The ones that I've had pretty much my entire life have never gotten infected.
  • I don't think earrings on babies is weird at all, but I'm going to wait until she's old enough to know whether she wants them. I'm not going to put her through it as a baby and then have her not even care for earrings. 

I was somewhere between 6 and 8 when I had mine done, but was allowed to wear clip-ons before then to "practice" and see if I even wanted earrings. I wore them and TON as a kid and teen, but I never wear them now. I'll just see what she wants!  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • You will got all sorts of answers. Some are realy pro and some are really againts this. It is a personal choice. With #1 and #2 we did it about 6mths and will do it again this time.
  • I have heard that it should not be done before 4 months or so, but we will not be doing it until the girls are in double digits (age 10)...at the very earliest. 

Before that, it is for the parents and has nothing to do with the child and is, therefore, being done for the wrong reason :)  Just my opinion, but no holes in my girls ears until they can tell me they want them AND take care of them responsibly.

• We're having a boy but if LO was a girl, she would have hers done as soon as the pedi would give us the okay. It's just the way I've always seen it done.
  • Poor thing has had enough needles stuck in her already, and each one killed me (even though I know they are needed for her to survive).

When she's old enough to take care of the holes herself, and actually wants to get them done, then I'll take her to get them pierced.

Also, I HATE sleeping with earrings in. They poke the soft skin behind my ears on my head. I wouldn't want my baby to deal with that.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• hell no.

DD has never asked for them and she's 3, I'm glad I didn't decide for her.  FWIW I rarely wear earrings, maybe 6 times a year.

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• i got mine done at around 3 mths, my aunt actually took me bc to this day my mom still doesnt have her ears pierced and wasnt going to pierce mine either, and boy am i glad my aunt did that bc i couldnt imagine myself without earrings. BTW this is my first time ever commenting im usually just lurking lol but im 31 weeks 3 days with a baby girl who will have her ears pierced as soon as the doctor gives the ok i just think its easier that way bc i can make sure it wont get infected and she wont remember the pain of it once she gets older. but its completely a personal decision.
  • I have never liked seeing a baby with pierced ears (toddlers don't bug me as much)  I would rather my daughter decide she wants her ears pierced and allow her to do it when she is old enough to take care of them, maybe 8 or 9. 

I have very small ears and lobes that were pierced about 1/8 inch from the bottom when I was 6. Then I would wear things that stretched the hole very close to splitting my ear lobe. I had to stop wearing earings and had them redone when I was 13.

• imageMrs Castillo:
    We're doing it sometime before 6m 

this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • imageMrs Castillo:
    We're doing it sometime before 6m 

this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • Also, I wanted to add, DD went through a "I want earrings" phase earlier this year and was hounding me for them. This is the child that won't even let me brush her hair. I explained how it is done -- not in a scary way, just the facts -- and she doesn't want it done now. I got her the stick on ones from Claire's and she's happy. I am sure she will want them again soon, but for now, she is a little scared of the needle/hole in her ear.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • imageCOMomma81:
    Absolutely will not be doing it. I don't care for how it looks on babies at all. She can make the choice herself and we'll make it a fun rite of passage sort of thing.

yup same here!

photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would like to get DD's done but honestly haven't given it much thought and I still need to talk to DH about it. 

I have had mine done since I was 4 and never had any problems with them.  When I was a teenager I would 6-12 months and not ever wear earrings and the holes never closed and never became infected when I did start wearing them again.

• I think it's a manifestation of the MOTHER's vanity and has nothing to do with the baby at all. It's another expression of babies being less than a whole person and more like an accessory to show off. I don't see the point in causing needless pain to a baby just because you think it "looks cute." I'll wait until my DD wants hers done (if she ever does), and we'll make a big deal out of it and have a fun mommy/daughter day that she will remember. I got an Orange Julius when I got mine done when I was 5. And that was pretty exciting.
    Tom's wife, Drew's mama, super cool. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • aesfaesf member

imageMommyTwoTimes:
    I think it's a manifestation of the MOTHER's vanity and has nothing to do with the baby at all. It's another expression of babies being less than a whole person and more like an accessory to show off. I don't see the point in causing needless pain to a baby just because you think it "looks cute."

Holy judgemental batman.

I may, I haven't decided.  For the record, my reasoning has nothing to do with cuteness. I have a ton of metal allergies and can hardly afford to wear earrings.  I think peircing her ears her ears early would help build an immunity to such allergies and allow her more selection when she's older... unless we become miraculously rich b/c otherwise she'll probably have to share my 3 platinum earrings until she's employed.

On the other hand I'd rather her ask and take care of them herself.  So I can't decided.  I love the idea of helping her build an immunity to gold and silver b/c i really miss it but at the same time its a big permanant decision to make for your kid (those wholes won't close if she wants them too)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • If baby is a girl Ill get them done as soon as the Dr gives me the ok.

I wanted to do the same with Brianna but her sperm donor wouldnt let me do it. Finally he left the picture & she got them done for her 4th Birthday because she wanted them so much, she'd been asking for them since she was 2.

• I think i will wait until she really wants them and use that as leverage to get her to stop sucking her thumb, get rid of her blankie, get potty trained. Something like that. It will be a win win situation! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic              image 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am admittedly judgmental about this. It hurts and the baby doesn't NEED to have it done. Period.
  • aesfaesf member

imageMommyTwoTimes:
    I am admittedly judgmental about this. It hurts and the baby doesn't NEED to have it done. Period.

well if you can admit you are judgemental about something that makes it ok and not something you should be working on in yourself.  You know, like racists.  Its bad to be a racist, but its totally ok if you can admit it... right?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • We're having a boy, but I had mine done at 6 months...
    Mr + Mrs: 09/06/2009 
    Daddy + Mommy: #1: 07/02/2011 EDD#2: 05/22/2015
    baby development
  • I had mine done as a baby, if this was a girl i'd prolly do it as well. I think its cute.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageaesf:

imageMommyTwoTimes:
    I am admittedly judgmental about this. It hurts and the baby doesn't NEED to have it done. Period.

well if you can admit you are judgemental about something that makes it ok and not something you should be working on in yourself.  You know, like racists.  Its bad to be a racist, but its totally ok if you can admit it... right?

Well, that's quite the leap. People are judgmental about all kinds of things - smoking, homeschooling, formula feeding... and I happen to judge people who hurt their kids out of their own vanity. I'm allowed my opinion. When someone makes a post about a polarizing topic, they realize they're going to get others' opinions. You might see piercing a baby's ears as a "personal choice," but to me, it goes beyond that. It's hurting a baby for no good reason. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"