3rd Trimester

Do you suspect DH is going to freak?

We had a false alarm last night.  I knew it wasn't the real thing since the contractions weren't severe of lasting long, but I hit the magic number of 6 in an hour so we called my MW and ended up in the hospital for a few hours.  Of course, DH thinks it's his fault because the contractions originally started in the early afternoon when we had a fight and I ended up crying.  Later that evening I was feeling better and we had sex and it was only a few hours afterward that the contractions got close enough to call.  So he was already feeling guilty.

He was over at a friend's house when it started to get bad, so I called him and told him to come home while I called the MW.  I sat and chit chatted calmly with my mother for a good ten minutes after I got off the phone with her.  He burst in the door and started rushing to get me to the hospital.  I told him to let the dogs out and grab my purse and the paper I had been timing the contractions on while I got dressed.  When I came out of the laundry room, he was gathering my favorite pillow, the receiving blanket we picked for the hospital and the stuffed monkey we had bought for the baby.  When I asked him what on earth he was doing, he asked me where his swim shorts were for the birthing tub.  I laughed at him and told him to knock it off, we weren't having a baby tonight.  He still insisted on bringing the monkey, pillow and blanket (only the monkey made it inside the hospital).  He drove like a maniac on the way there.  We live literally five minutes from the hospital, but he acted as if time was a factor.  He was visibly twitchy and upset when I told him to drop me off at the door so I could check in while he parked.

As I predicted, I wasn't even starting to dilate yet (only 35 weeks) and they just monitored the baby for an hour or so and gave me a shot to stop the contractions.  They stopped almost immediately and they sent us home.

After seeing that reaction though, I'm wondering if he's going to completely lose his mind when things are really happening.  Does anyone else suspect their DH isn't going to do well under pressure?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you suspect DH is going to freak?

• He should be fine the next time around but you may want to sit down and talk to him about relaxing before he raises his own BP lol.
  • That is sooo cute! I can't help but to laugh. He'll do a great job.
  • Loading the player...
  • He's now channeled his freak out into something kind of constructive.  It's five thirty in the morning and he's cleaning our bedroom from top to bottom.  I'm laying on the couch watching late night TV because he won't stop so I can go to bed.  When I told him he could do this in the daytime tomorrow, he freaked and said it had to get done and how could we bring a baby home to this mess?  Lol, I thought I was the one that was supposed to go insane nesting.
  • LOL.... H are so cute when you tell them.  (sorry im board dropping).  We had our LO in February.  We had had a fun day of eating out, shopping, went to AAA to get car seats installed correctly.  I decided to take a bath - so started running the water, peed and started to step in when I had a small gush... thought, hum.... so sat back on the toliet thinking it might just be pee.. then another small gush from the right opening.  I found a LARGE pad (get them ladies!!!!) and opened the door and informed my H that my water just broke.  He was watching Teen Mom (so cute) and jumped off the couch and took off running down the hall collecting stuff and yelling for me to call my doctor.  I took my time, he ran around like a crazy man getting my small list of items we were unable to prepack.  After speaking w/my MD she said I could wait or come on in.  He was in the car by then waiting impatiently.  He drove so fast (he used to have lights and sirens on his car when he was fire chief... thank God those are gone cause he would have used them) he kept saying he was not delivering the baby (we only live 15 min from hospital).  Once at the hospital he kept walking faster then I could and would have to stop.. again, it was cute and all I kept feeling were gushes down there.  We got to the maternity floor and 12 hrs later we had our LO. 
    2nd EDD 02/01/13 - MC 5 1/2 weeks 6/5/12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sex will do that. I always ignored the '5/hr' rule after sex. Glad everything is okay, and hey- at least he'll have had practiced for when it's real!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thats really cute. I haven't had any contractions yet but I think that when I do DH might react the same way because even now if I do something like stub my toe he freaks out thinking something is wrong with the baby. If I have any sort of round ligament pain or anything else minor I have to keep reassuring him that I'm definitely not going into labor and that there's nothing wrong with the baby. I just try to remind myself that he has no idea what it actually feels like to be pregnant so his over-reactions seem more understandable

• Haha that is so cute. My DH is acting very similar all of a sudden. Every single moan or groan I let out (adjusting on the coach, walking up the stairs, whatever) he stops what he is doing and asks "Are you ok?" with a panicked look on his face. This goes on about 10-15 times a day...its starting to drive me nuts. We had to have a sit down chat about him calming down. Sooo...I'm pretty sure he will be a nut case when it finally happens!

BabyFetus Ticker

• wow my husband is pretty laid back about this whole thing. Of course this is his 5th child (our first) so he's been there done that. Good luck with everything ladies!
  • My DH doesn't do well under pressure. Yes, I think he's going to freak out!
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That is actually so cute! =) Especially the monkey.

We have had 3 or 4 days in L&D so far. The first time DH was a little freaked out, but I think I was more so. But I always pack early, so we just brought the bags JIC. But he was sooooo nervous! He's used to it now, so I think he will be okay until the pains get bad. 

• He's had a few freak out moments already just thinking about it. He's working until I go into labor and it's entirely possible/probably that he will be at work when I start. He's already made up plan B with my dad where I call him, then my dad takes me to the hospital and he meets us there. He also freaked out when his sister went into labor.

Our childbirth class did help calm him down a bit though, especially when the child birth educator stressed that, in general, I'm not going to start labor and pop out a baby in less than an hour.

• I love that he wanted his swim shorts... he was ready!

I am not sure how my DH will be yet. I think he may freak out on the inside but not show it.

• My hubby is an anesthesiologist so he's more relaxed than most! :) I used to work in OB some as well and saw a few things that were funny, but not as much as he has given the fact that he regularly covers OB. He has told me some hilarious stories that happened when he puts the epidurals in, though. He seriously needs to write a book. It's like some Dad's completely lose their minds when their wives are in labor!  Haha! Not to mention the ones who flat out hit the floor when things get going. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"