Pregnant after a Loss
Options

To doppler or not to doppler; that is the question.

I am considering purchasing a doppler.  My last appointment was this past Tuesday, and despite some scary spotting, everything ended up looking beautiful.  My next appointment, though, is not until June 22, which is actually my amnio.  I don't know if I can wait that long to make sure Little Bean is ok, though!  I started getting anxious again this morning, a mere four days after my appointment.  So I'm wondering if periodically using a doppler will help me feel better.

The issue, though, is whether I actually would use it "periodically", or if I would become an obsessed mess, either because I'd use it two or three times a day, or because I'd freak out if I couldn't find the heartbeat.  I could totally see that happening to me.

So for those of you who have had a doppler, do any of you wish you had never bought it? 

Re: To doppler or not to doppler; that is the question.

• Options
    I'm glad I bought it.  I did become obsessive for a while, but limited myself to once per day, max, and only long enough to find the heartbeat and listen to it for a few seconds to make sure it sounded right to me.  It did cause some anxiety though when I couldn't find it several times, so it's not all sunshine and roses.  However, thankfully, I was able to find it each time so it helped to calm my fears.  Once the bambino started moving regularly, I've mostly stopped using it.  I do use it periodically when he has his really quiet days though.
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options

Penny's post from earlier today pretty much illustrates why I didn't get one.  I knew I'd freak out if I couldn't find the hb.  Plus, I had to wait so dang long to get an u/s in the first place (11.5w) that making it 4 weeks to the next one didn't sound so bad. 

I think in general you just need to know your personality type and what you need to do to help keep you calm.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    romiguromigu member
    imageJunebug060609:

Penny's post from earlier today pretty much illustrates why I didn't get one.  I knew I'd freak out if I couldn't find the hb.  Plus, I had to wait so dang long to get an u/s in the first place (11.5w) that making it 4 weeks to the next one didn't sound so bad. 

I think in general you just need to know your personality type and what you need to do to help keep you calm.

Yeah...this is why I didn't want to buy one either.  I'm a bit worried that I'm borrowing one from my friend because it could bring out the crazy (even more).  I think what I will do is leave it at work or have my husband limit how much I use it so that I don't have moments like that.  

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I love mine, but I've always been able to find the hb since 9 weeks. A few times it took a try or two, but with patience I was able to find it. It has kept me positive, kept me focused on now instead of "what it," and been an awesome way for DH to bond with our baby (and other family as well who have gotten to hear it). I see the down sides but for me the pluses has completely outweighed those.

BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options

I don't regret buying mine.  But it did stress me out when I couldn't find it earlier, even though I told myself I wouldn't let myself do that.  But for the most part it has been reassuring.  We set a five minute timer and won't let ourselves go over that. (Other than today;)) And I want to only use it every few days, but I am having a hard time with that.   I think we used it 5 out of 7 days this week.  It is addictive hearing that little heartbeat.  Good luck with your decision!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Something else for you to consider: You're getting into the nomansland between 1st Tri symptoms and feeling movement.  I had about 5 weeks where I didn't really feel pregnant, wasn't showing much (if at all) and wasn't feeling movement.  From what others have said, that's the window you'll want the doppler most if you decide to go with one.

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    imagehaziedaze:

I love mine, but I've always been able to find the hb since 9 weeks. A few times it took a try or two, but with patience I was able to find it. It has kept me positive, kept me focused on now instead of "what it," and been an awesome way for DH to bond with our baby (and other family as well who have gotten to hear it). I see the down sides but for me the pluses has completely outweighed those.

Yep all of this.  It was stressing in between appointments, but I did it.  I also told myself that I would never have known about dopplers if it wasn't for The Bump, so if I had gotten PG and not come on this board I would not ever thought of purchasing one.  Besides once you feel LO move there really is no need for one in my opinion

6/14/10 BFP; 6/30/10 Dx ectopic
    11/16/10 BFP #2; DD born 7/26/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options

I didn't get one and I am actually glad I didn't. I knew if I couldn't find the hb that I would go into panic mode.

Not being able to hear the hb until dr appts makes me really look forward to them. It gives me a really special moment to look forward to.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

imageJunebug060609:
    Something else for you to consider: You're getting into the nomansland between 1st Tri symptoms and feeling movement.  I had about 5 weeks where I didn't really feel pregnant, wasn't showing much (if at all) and wasn't feeling movement.  From what others have said, that's the window you'll want the doppler most if you decide to go with one.

Still haven't decided on the doppler, but thank you SO MUCH for sharing your experience!  I've been feeling "unpregnant" today, and that's part of why I'm even considering getting one.  I'm glad to hear that this is normal during this time, because I honestly thought I would be feeling more pregnant every week.  Guess not, lol. 

• Options
    imageChoicesMom:

I had one with my first pregnancy and didn't find that I got obsessive.  Of course I hadn't been through a loss at that point.  If you think that you will feel better go for it, worst case scenario you have to ask DH to hide it from you.

Make sure that you get a good quality one though.  My mom gave me mine and the quality wasn't that great.  It was nice to have around for when I was bored or hadn't felt her move near the end but I don't think it would have done much near the beginning.

The problem with DH hiding it is that he's a hypochondriac and would likely pull it out himself to listen to either Little Bean's heartbeat or his own (for some reason, he's convinced he has an irregular heartbeat :-/ )  He'd be no help at all, lol.

• Options
    I decided against one. I know I would become obsessive and freak out if I couldn't find a heart beat right away. I freak out in between appointments though so sometimes I wish I did get one. I guess if you can be strong enough to not use it all the time or freak out like me then it's a good purchase.
  • Options

I don't regret getting mine at all.  I ordered it around 14 weeks- that no man's land of no movement and no symptoms was really hard for me, so I'm glad I had it.

I thought I would be obsessive with it, but I really wasn't.  I think the most I used it in one week was 2-3 times, but usually I did it about once a week.  Since I've started feeling movement, I have barely used it, maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 8 weeks.  Now he'll have some quiet days, and it's nice to be able to do a quick check and feel reassured.

• Options
    imageJoAnna914:

imageJunebug060609:

Still haven't decided on the doppler, but thank you SO MUCH for sharing your experience!  I've been feeling "unpregnant" today, and that's part of why I'm even considering getting one.  I'm glad to hear that this is normal during this time, because I honestly thought I would be feeling more pregnant every week.  Guess not, lol. 

No problem.  Based on the number of posts from the October ladies when we were at that stage and the number of ladies further along that chimed in on our lack of symptoms posts then, its pretty normal to feel normal.  Its a weird in between stage.  The placenta is taken over so your 1st tri symptoms really fade...but the LO isn't big enough for you to feel it.  Good news is that before too long that belly will start to pop, your appetite will go bezerk, and you'll start to feel flutters.

I just wanted to be sure you knew about that lull bc I remember a lot of the Oct ladies saying how much they PPH'd their dopplers for that stage.

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    MrsAtchMrsAtch member
    I have no regrets whatsoever in buying my doppler. It's also been really fun to be able to share LO's hb with some of my close friends/family. I should be feeling movement any day now, but it has really helped in the in-between stages.
    After two losses, a rainbow arrived! DD born 11.5.11
    Dx with severe Asherman's syndrome after a botched PP D&C (pursuing med mal)
    Hysteroscopy Oct '13, not enough progress 
    Hysteroscopy Jan '14, given an end-of-the-road diagnosis
    Joined International Asherman's Association April '14 
    Not ready to give up yet.
    Hysteroscopy with Dr. Isaacson (an expert in the USA) 6.2.14: Good prognosis, at least 50% of cavity open.
    Repeat hysteroscopy scheduled with Dr. I on 6.16.14. Great progress. Unbenched!!!!
    Discussing actively TTC with DH after the heartache of the last year. We're both reeling.

Please, please, please. 
  • Options

I'm and obsessive/worried person, and I love mine.  I have used it almost every day since I got it, and only a handful of times (3 to be exact) I couldn't find the hb, but once I learned the best position (slouched on the couch) I have found it every time since. 

Also, my MD promised me I could sneak in for HB checks if I ever have days where I just need a bit of reassurance so if I have difficulty for more than one attempt in a row I can call and get in the next day usually. 

I think as long as you get the sonoline (and not the one you buy at BRU) you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    I am so glad I bought it. It has helped me so much. Especially before I felt movement. I do not use it as much these days. The window of use for me was about 10 weeks to about 18 weeks every other day. I will admit that there were days I checked morning and night to hear that heart beat. Also periods of checking daily as well. It was a wonderful purchase, I would do it again in a heartbeat...no pun intended :)
    DS Born 10/05/99 DSS Born 7/11/95 BFP 05/11/10 - Missed M/C, D&C 06/23/10 BFP 8/3/2010 - Ectopic, Methotrexate 8/17/10 BFP 1/27/11- Please God let this heart beat strong. Beta1 17dpo-314 Beta2 20dpo-883 Beta3 22dpo-1861 Beta4 25dpo-5918 DS2 Born 10/07/99 "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he shall be given over to the LORD." 1Sam1v24to28.
  • Options

imagesbjardine:
    I am so glad I bought it. It has helped me so much. Especially before I felt movement. I do not use it as much these days. The window of use for me was about 10 weeks to about 18 weeks every other day. I will admit that there were days I checked morning and night to hear that heart beat. Also periods of checking daily as well. It was a wonderful purchase, I would do it again in a heartbeat...no pun intended :)

Yes

• Options

I thank God I have mine. Best decision ever. I still use it about once a week now when she is a stealth ninja.

Last pg., I asked to come in at 16.5w because I would not find the hb. I knew going in it would probably be bad news. Being prepared made a horrific siutation a little more bearable. Had I not had my doppler I would have found out the next week at an u/s, when I would have had the fam waiting to find out the sex.

I know everyone says they are scared they would freak. But after a certain point (13w or so) if you cannot find it after repeated efforts over a couple days, you should be worried and calling your Dr. Before that, you just need to remind yourself it is normal to have days where you can't find it. But for me, later loss is a fact of life, and I would hate to be blindsided.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD #1 born 9/07 ** DD #2 born 7/11 ** Operation Take Back My Body has begun 10/11
    Upcoming Races
    Gobble Wobble 5K 11/24/11 - Abington, PA 29:40
    Superbowl 10K 02/05/12 - Allentown, PA 54:28 PR!!!!
    Broad Street 10 Mile Run 05/06/12 - Philadelphia, PA 1:30:44
    Rock and Roll Half Marathon 09/16/12 - Philadelphia, PA
    Philadelphia (Half?!?) Marathon 11/18/12 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Options
    imageGummybear:

I thank God I have mine. Best decision ever. I still use it about once a week now when she is a stealth ninja.

Last pg., I asked to come in at 16.5w because I would not find the hb. I knew going in it would probably be bad news. Being prepared made a horrific siutation a little more bearable. Had I not had my doppler I would have found out the next week at an u/s, when I would have had the fam waiting to find out the sex.

I know everyone says they are scared they would freak. But after a certain point (13w or so) if you cannot find it after repeated efforts over a couple days, you should be worried and calling your Dr. Before that, you just need to remind yourself it is normal to have days where you can't find it. But for me, later loss is a fact of life, and I would hate to be blindsided.

Thanks for this perspective - I, too, would prefer not to be blindsided, and this may be the tipping point for me getting one.

So, now I need to figure out which one to get.  

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! 

• Options
    imageJunebug060609:

This exactly. I didn't allow myself to buy one (even though I was tempted) because I didn't need to add anymore stress if I couldn't find the hb. I get stressed enough (still) when the doctor tries to find it. But that's just me. 

• Options
    romiguromigu member
    ok so i change my statement...my friend just brought her doppler for me and it was SUCH a relief to hear that little heartbeat.  I even psyched myself up beforehand and tried to prepare for some serious heartbeat searching but it took about 30 seconds of probing.  It was like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders...knowing that its little heart was beating like it should.  My friend was there when I did it and she said the loud interference (if you're not moving the probe) means the baby is moving.  soooo...maybe it is good to have one.  Hopefully there won't be too many days that I have trouble finding the heartbeat. 
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"