Cincinnati Babies

NBR: fishbowl effect in new glasses?

So this is a total shot in the dark, but I just got new glasses (frames and lenses).  My prescription is not very strong and only changed just slightly.  I feel like I'm looking through a fishbowl, it's fine right in front of me but every time I turn my head or look to the side I feel like I'm spinning and dizzy or looking underwater.  The lady at the optical shop said it's normal and give it 2 weeks to adjust.  I've never had this with glasses before.  Anyone know if this is normal or not?

Re: NBR: fishbowl effect in new glasses?

• Katelyn just got a new prescription and she wont keep her glasses on at all. I wonder if this could be part of the reason why?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hope not for her sake, I keep feeling like I either just got off a roller coaster or like I'm going to puke.  It's every time I slightly turn my head or look to the side.
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely go back in. This happened to me the last time I got glasses (I went to JC Penney-- mistake!) and they said I would get used to it and it was a result of a new, stronger prescription. I only wear glasses for about ten minutes every night so I gave it some time. Well, after two weeks it wasn't better and I was getting ready to take them back in for a new pair when our house sold and I ended up having to deal with that. By the time I made it back in to JC Penney, my "return period" was up and they would not repair the lenses without extra cost to me. It was a mess. If it's that bad after a day or two, I'd definitely go back in.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been wearing glasses since I was 4.5 and I literally get that everytime I wear  new ones.  Now I wear contacts 100% of the time, so on the rare occassion I put on my glasses, it happens every time.  LIterally after a week or so I get used to them, but the initial couple of days of wearing them I always get that.  It seems like the floor is bowed down and the world is moving at a different pace than I am.  LOL.

Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsMoher:

I have been wearing glasses since I was 4.5 and I literally get that everytime I wear  new ones.  Now I wear contacts 100% of the time, so on the rare occassion I put on my glasses, it happens every time.  LIterally after a week or so I get used to them, but the initial couple of days of wearing them I always get that.  It seems like the floor is bowed down and the world is moving at a different pace than I am.  LOL.

Thanks, that sounds a lot like what is happening.  I'll try wearing them consistently and see what happens.  Hopefully I can get used to it.

• I had the same problem when I got my new pair last summer.  I almost killed myself stepping off the curb because I didn't notice a difference until then.  Your eyes should adjust within a day or two.
  • Daves_sweetpea, I do have slight astigmatism, maybe that is it.  This is also the first time my prescription has changed since I got glasses 16 years ago, so maybe that is also why it's so weird to me.  I've had new glasses before, but always the same prescription.  We're on day 2 now and it's better, but still kinda trippy when I turn my head to look at things.  I'm going to give it a few more days and see how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"