January 2011 Moms

Making baby food

I have never tried it before with my other kids but I would like to try it now. I have no ideas what works best. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Re: Making baby food

• Read up on it a little. For instance I didnt relize you couldnt use the water you steamed the veggies in, when you puree the food. Maybe I am the only one who didnt relize that but its good to know now.

Have you decided how you are going to store the food? Alot of people use ice cube trays. We use both trays and plastic jars I got off of amazon. I dont want to microwave his food and the jars fit nicely into the bottle warmer.

• imagejcole32444:

Read up on it a little. For instance I didnt relize you couldnt use the water you steamed the veggies in, when you puree the food. Maybe I am the only one who didnt relize that but its good to know now.

Have you decided how you are going to store the food? Alot of people use ice cube trays. We use both trays and plastic jars I got off of amazon. I dont want to microwave his food and the jars fit nicely into the bottle warmer.

Actually you can use the water you steam in. Only exceptions to that are the high nitrate vegetables like carrots.I'm making most of my food but am going to steer clear of making the high nitrate stuff just to be on the safe side.

OP, check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for lots of helpful info. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry should have been more clear. I was refering to the vegatables. Like the carrots I made two weeks ago before I did my reading. I had glanced at a few books prevously and nothing I read talked about not using the water. Now I feel like a terrible mommy for feeding him the carrots. He did love them though.

• I'm sure he's fine! I think that website says the real danger of nitrate poisoning is from well water. I will say this, I made peas last night and I don't know if Ill make them again, it was a PITA to get them smooth!
  • I actually use breastmilk storage bags. I go the NUK ones from Target for like 8.00 for 50 so I've just poured the fruit/veggies in those. They are made to be frozen and can easily be thawed in the fridge or in the hot water!  it's been working out great plus I can just pour it out quite easily.
  • I made all DS#1's baby food and I'd never heard of nitrate poisoning or not using the water from steamed veggies. What is all that about?!?! Doesn't really make sense to me. Can someone fill me in?
  • imageamandabrown530:
    I made all DS#1's baby food and I'd never heard of nitrate poisoning or not using the water from steamed veggies. What is all that about?!?! Doesn't really make sense to me. Can someone fill me in?

I never heard of it either and I made all of DS1's baby food.  And the baby food book I use specifically says to use the water from steaming to puree with the food.  That's news to me. 

• I have heard a little about that...apparently some veggies are high in nitrates which can "poison" your baby - baby food companies are aware of this and screen/test their food for high nitrates. I plan on making some baby food but otherwise buy organic baby food with no added anything....btw mommies that are making baby food I hope you're using organic foods  :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers image image Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"