Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Too much sleep?

Brayden wakes up between 5am and 7am every morning for a bottle. He usually takes the whole thing down (6 oz) within minutes, and then falls back to sleep until around 830-930am.

I give him another bottle when he wakes up, and he drinks about 2- 4 ozs. Sometimes he falls asleep right after, other times he stays away to play until around noon.

He naps from noon-around 2pm. Another bottle when he wakes up, playing/reading/singing ect.and then goes down for another short nap around 330.

Hubby comes home around 530, and right around now if when DS is having major meltdowns. Hes obviously extremely overtired. After giving him a bottle, and shushing and rocking him for what seems like forever... he finally falls asleep until around 8. (This nap doesnt always happen. Sometimes hes just super cranky all night....)

At 9, we do naked time, bath, get dressed, and bottle, and he goes to bed around 930... to wake up the next day at 5-6am to begin the entire process again...

Is it just me, or do you think my LO sleeps way too much? At least Way to much to have screaming evening fits while hes fighting sleep??? Is it possible for him to sleep too much!?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Too much sleep?

• I don't think he's sleeping too much but it sounds like he might do okay with an earlier bedtime. A lot of babies tend to have fussy time in the evening but I'd try pushing his bedtime up by 15 minutes/night and see if getting him down for the night earlier helps tame his evening meltdowns.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • good for you if you can get him to sleep that much. We struggle with day time naps, but are excited on days he does a good job at them. Nighttime sleep is awesome though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely agree about an earlier bedtime. I was surprised to see that your DS is awake from 4-8pm, and then only goes down for a nap, if he naps at all. Thats a really long time to be awake! He could probably stand to go to bed for the night at 8. Our DD is never up past 7:30 so a 9:30 bedtime just seems so late.
  • imageVanessaJoy:
    Definitely agree about an earlier bedtime. I was surprised to see that your DS is awake from 4-8pm, and then only goes down for a nap, if he naps at all. Thats a really long time to be awake! He could probably stand to go to bed for the night at 8. Our DD is never up past 7:30 so a 9:30 bedtime just seems so late.

I think, unless I read it wrong, she said he naps in the evening after his bottle until 8, then is up until they do bedtime at 9. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTBLilyRose:

imageVanessaJoy:
    Definitely agree about an earlier bedtime. I was surprised to see that your DS is awake from 4-8pm, and then only goes down for a nap, if he naps at all. Thats a really long time to be awake! He could probably stand to go to bed for the night at 8. Our DD is never up past 7:30 so a 9:30 bedtime just seems so late.

I think, unless I read it wrong, she said he naps in the evening after his bottle until 8, then is up until they do bedtime at 9. 

yes, exactly. i know 9 pm seems pretty late, but it works with our schedule exp because he sleeps in so late most mornings... so i dont think he needs MORE sleep by going to bed earlier... he gets 10-12hrs at a time over night with a tiny 15 minute wakeup, per say. hubby works overtime alot, so its difficult to make dinner, get DS ready for bed, etc... not to mention, hubby likes to spend a little time with DS when he gets home.

• C cannot be awake more than an hour and a half at a time. Usually his awake time is only an hour. Anything more than that and he will not nap or go to sleep at night. We started keeping him awake after he eats so he is loosely following an Eat-Play-Sleep routine. We don't time it, but he fell into this pretty naturally. It is so extremely helpful because we know that when he wakes up he's hungry, and when he starts to fuss during playtime, he's tired. We're able to anticipate his needs much better, and we're all happier because of it. I don't think there is any one "magical" trick that works for every baby, but that works really well for us.

Approximate schedule: 

Up, dressed for the day, eat: 7 am, 7-8 Play time, 8-9:30 Nap

9:30 Eat, 10-11 Playtime,  11-12:30 Nap

12:30 Eat, 1-2 Playtime, 2-3:30 Nap

3:30 Eat, 4-5 Playtime, 5-5:45 Short Nap

5:45-6:45 Playtime, Bath, story, Bedtime.

He's up twice at night to eat and goes right back to sleep.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think your DS is sleeping too much. It just sounds like you have a good sleeper. My son only has a 1-2 hour awake span before he gets fussy and needs to go back down. The better my son sleeps during the day the better he sleeps at night.
    lilypie First Birthday tickers
    image image
    MY BLOG A Stay At Home Moms Search For All Things Sensational
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"