Babies: 3 - 6 Months

For those taking their LO's to daycare

Hi folks,

This is my sons second week of daycare and we're still trying to get a good night program together. Right now, he goes to bed between 8:00 - 8:30 and then we wake him up at 11:00 to eat and then we were waking him up again at 3:00 to eat again because he has to be up to get ready at 6am to leave the house for daycare at 7. I really think we should not wake him up for the 3:00 am feeding as we're perpetuating him not sleeping thru the night. However, my concern is if he gets up on his own lets say...at 4 am and we feed him then he's due to eat in three hours at 7am when I need to get on the road to take him to daycare. Then I could have a screaming baby in the car and I have a 25 minute ride to daycare. I was thinking if this did happen, we could give him a "snack" at 6am...like 2oz to get him by until he gets to daycare.

I would really appreciate your input and/or hear your routine!

Thanks so much ladies.

Re: For those taking their LO's to daycare

• First how old is your son? I would not wake a sleeping baby EVER. Well except in the morning. I would try a few nights and see how it goes. If you dont wake him until 6 and then offer a bottle no matter what time he was up you should be ok.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a little confused. Why do you wake your DS at night to eat? Are you trying to create a feeding schedule? Or you just want to make sure he's full?

I wake DD at 6, she eats and plays a little, and then she's at daycare by 7. She usually wakes on her own around 12:30 and 4:30 to eat, but we never wake her up. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageexpecting-n-tx:
    First how old is your son? I would not wake a sleeping baby EVER.

Ditto this..I was told to let a sleeping baby sleep since he was about a month old and had already gained over a lb more than his birth weight.  Mj goes to sleep at 8:30 and STTN until 6:30am.  He has 5 bottles a day at 7oz per bottle of breast milk. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageexpecting-n-tx:
    First how old is your son? I would not wake a sleeping baby EVER. Well except in the morning. I would try a few nights and see how it goes. If you dont wake him until 6 and then offer a bottle no matter what time he was up you should be ok.

I am with pp, I would not be waking them to eat. Do you wake them up during the weekend when LO is not going to daycare?  C goes to bed around 7-8 and she will occasionally wake up in the middle of the night to eat but for the most part,  we just get her up around 545 and she plays for a bit and then eats before we leave for daycare.  She is there at 630. 

• DS is almost 14 weeks. We're not trying to develop a feeding pattern, but we thought if we feed him at 11ish then one day he'll last until 4 or 5 on his own. Perhaps we should let his own schedule develop on his own.

• When DD was just born we were told to wake her every 2 to 3 hours to eat.  At her one month check up they said we could start letting her decide as long as she was gaining weight well.  She is now 14 weeks old and goes to bed at 8 ( we have a night time routine), she usually wakes up around 2 to eat a few ounces and around 6 then she stays up until about 7 and goes back to sleep for a couple of hours.  We have had quite a few nights that she slept all the way through until 6 am.  I think as long as LO is getting enough to eat during the day the should be fine to start sleeping longer.  
  • We do something similar for the same reason. I don't want to feed him at four when he needs up at 6. My solution was a 7:30 feed and bedtime. I wake him up at 11 to feed again before I go to sleep. Sometimes he still wakes up at 4 anyway, but I just put him in bed with me and snuggle him asleep again. I wake him at 6 to eat before daycare/pumping before work. I'm not sure if you're breastfeeding though. A bottle of formula they could just give at daycare whenever he was hungry. Also, depends on age. Mine is almost 6 mo old. At 4 mo we were still getting up for three feedings between 9pm and 6am. Breastfed babies tend to eat more often.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageQuiroloslove:

DS is almost 14 weeks. We're not trying to develop a feeding pattern, but we thought if we feed him at 11ish then one day he'll last until 4 or 5 on his own. Perhaps we should let his own schedule develop on his own.

This. He'll figure it out. It just takes some time. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Our LO has been in daycare since 6wks and trust me....its almost impossible to have the same routine every night/morning. We just go with the flow. Sometimes hes down in bed at 8 and gets up through the night, so we feed him and then take him to school around 8. And other times hes not in bed till 10 or so, so he'll sleep through the night and we'll feed him before we leave for daycare. I know it sucks to have a screaming baby in the car. There have been a few times LO is asleep when we leave for school, but hes due to eat, so we let him sleep and when i dro him off i just tell his teachers hes gonna be ready to eat when he wakes up. They dont mind, and it happens. But i would definately maybe try to stop waking him and just see how he reacts. goodluck!

• Stop waking him up completely. He'll wake up when he's hungry, then feed him before you leave.
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Stop waking your baby at night. If anything, your getting him in the habit of needing to get up to eat. Maybe he could SSTN if you let him. He'll figure a schedule out on his own. DS goes to bed around 7 and sleeps till 7. He gets up twice in the night to eat. Last night, he fell asleep at 5:30 and was up at 5:00 to eat, even though we usually feed him at 7. Just let the daycare know when he ate last, and they'll feed him when he's hungry. If you want, you can still feed him before you leave, even though he doesn't act hungry, if you're worried about milk supply or something. I do that sometimes if I don't want to have to pump in the morning when I get to work.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO will eventually develop his own schedule. I was worried about this as well becuase my husband drops off in the morning and I'm already gone. You don't need to wake him up to eat. After a month at daycare my LO was on his own schedule and it worked out just fine. He usually woke around 3 or 4 and then didn't eat again until he got to daycare and he was fine.

• It's very hard to establish a routine when they are this little.  We kind of go with the flow with our LO.  He doesn't really nap at all so he's up all day except for little cat naps and usually falls asleep after his last feeding around 9 or 10 p.m.  He then wakes us up generally at 6 or 7 a.m. the next day and I just feed him quick and take him to daycare.  Sometimes he does wake us up at like 2 or 3 a.m. and i give him a pacifier and he falls back asleep.  He's almost 5 months now so we are trying to get him out of the habit of a night feeding.  We never wake him to feed him though, he wakes us.
  • candr09candr09 member

I wouldn't be waking him up at all.

I work evenings so our schedule is a little different. But I let DD wake up on her own and feed her. Then I offer the breast again before we have to leave to drop her off at my moms. Usually its not a full three hours, and she's not showing signs of hunger, but I offer and see how she reacts. She'll usually eat, but less than what she normally does. Sometimes she just doesnt seem interested in eating at all. I kind of just follow her lead. Its worked for us so far.

and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesaraboston:
    Stop waking him up completely. He'll wake up when he's hungry, then feed him before you leave.

This.

I am surprised by all this baby waking.  Just let him sleep!  He will wake up when he is hungry.  Then you can feed him before you leave in the morning.  He may or may not be hungry depending on what time he last woke to eat but just let daycare know the last time he ate when you drop him off.

• Ladybug created her own schedule, but it goes something like this (I nurse on demand and she cluster nurses in the evenings... not all babys do this)-

Nursing at 6pm, 7pm, 8pm~8:30pm down for bed.  Sleeps till 2:30, nurses down for bed.  I wake her at 5:50am change her dress her and nurse her before I have to leave about 6:30.

Some nights she sleeps through the night.  Those nights I wake her at 5:50am after having pumped one boob and nurse her from the other.  Yay extra milk!  She

She eats typically about 8:00am at Grandma's house (her daycare)

Never wake a healthy sleeping baby.

• Well, here's the update folks. We let DS do his own schedule last night. I fed him at 7:20 and he didn't get up to 1:30 to eat then he got up a little after 6!! Me and DH were to happy kids!! Thanks for the feedback and we'll just let it roll for now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"