Babies: 3 - 6 Months

BFers with big freezer stashes

How do you do it? Teach me your waaays!!

I've got about 200 oz stashed and I feel like I max out at adding about 6 oz per day to that. Any more and I feel like I never have enough to bf him with. Also, pumping in the evening always seems unfruitful...I only get an ounce or two if I'm lucky.

What are some of you doing that you have 800 and 1000 oz supplies? I'm in awe!

Re: BFers with big freezer stashes

• I pump about 12-14 ounces a day, on top of breast feeding my son. It took awhile to build up my supply. I have a really good pump, first of all. I have the Medela Pump in Style; its a double electric. I consistently pump every night at bed time (about 3 hours after my son has gone down for the night) and then immediately after I wake in the morning; I am able to get about 6-7 ounces each time. Also, I eat well, drink a ton of water, don't drink alcohol, don't drink caffeine, and I let my son nurse whenever he wants, which helps stimulate my supply. My son does not take a pacifier. 

It takes patience, time, a lot of work, and luck at having a body that cooperates. 

But, I have to ask, why do you want such a large stash? I actually don't have a stash like that; I donate to another baby. And where are you going to store it? My freezer and deep freeze get really full with just a couple hundred ounces.  

• HA! Im in envy of your 200oz stash! I currently have about 60oz in my freezer. I finally thought to start stashing late into my maternity leave and we would always use it to feed DD on the go and when DH would want to feed her. Thankfully I have not needed to touch it once since going back to work. In fact I had to pull some out and use it just so I could rotate in some fresher stuff.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Married 1/20/07
    DD Born: 2/18/11
    LO #2 EDD: 10/16/15
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemamaprof:

But, I have to ask, why do you want such a large stash? I actually don't have a stash like that; I donate to another baby. And where are you going to store it? My freezer and deep freeze get really full with just a couple hundred ounces.  

I'm still on mat leave, but when I go back, I travel a lot for work and spend a few nights away from home a week. I'm hoping my stash can keep up with him while I'm gone until I get home to replenish with what I've pumped while I'm away.

I think I just need to get on a more consistent schedule like you mentioned so my body knows what's up.

• Oh, ok, that makes sense. It really does help to stay on a schedule. 
  • I started pumping all the extra milk right from the beginning and in the days when the supply was out of control I pumped alot to keep my body producing milk like that. So every 3-4 hrs I have to pump or I'm one hurting Mommy. I am able to store about 15-20oz on top of what DD eats. The times that I store the most are right before I go to bed because DD is already sleeping and the middle of the night because she has been STTN as well. Also I make sure that I drink a bunch during the day. I should have about 1500oz by the end of the month.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageVazquezGal:

HA! Im in envy of your 200oz stash! I currently have about 60oz in my freezer. I finally thought to start stashing late into my maternity leave and we would always use it to feed DD on the go and when DH would want to feed her. Thankfully I have not needed to touch it once since going back to work. In fact I had to pull some out and use it just so I could rotate in some fresher stuff.

This. I barely have 50 oz in the freezer and I fall behind almost every day when I'm at work. My supply has really fallen off since returning to work because I don't have a consistent schedule every day, so pumping regularly is really difficult. It has gotten to the point that this week, unfortunately, I'm starting to supplement with 50% formula during the day. I'll continue to nurse at night, but I just can't keep up with work and the freezer is emptying. I will say, though, that because your BM changes to keep up with your LO's needs, having thousands of ounces of BM in your freezer  isn't as good as having fresh... but what ever works for you. I would like to be able to not pump at work, too. I wish I could just break even.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I pump about 10 extra oz per day plus feed LO.  I'm lucky and have always had good supply.  When she was 3 weeks old I started pumping.  I will travel a lot in the summer and wanted to have a good supply, if we don't use it all I will donate.  Every morning I pump one side and feed the other. I pump at noon and get two bottles, and again in the evening I pump one side and feed the other.  I get about 5 oz per side and since she only eats about 2  5oz bottles at daycare I have 10 oz to freeze or stash in the fridge in case she has to go to daycare a little longer and needs and extra bottle.  When she started sleeping through the night the morning and evening pumps got better just because I had to empty, or feel engorged all night.  10 oz extra per day adds up quickly.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"