Natural Birth

Hypnobirthing: Mongan Method, Review

I don't normally post here but thought I would share my Hypnobirthing class experience:

This weekend was our Hypnobirthing class. We chose to do the 10 hour class in one weekend rather than the 5 week class.

It was very relaxation intensive. We learned the different techniques to put yourself into deep relaxation for the different stages of labor. The instructor also included the SO's in the process by teaching them how to assist and be the best birth companion they can be. It is about letting go of fears to accomplish a satisfying birth free of "pain" and breathing your baby out. We watched many videos of births using the method and it was amazing. None of the women were screaming, writhing in pain, or miserable. Not to say it is free from discomfort, but it eliminates the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome.

She hypnotized us a few times (basically just really deep relaxation) and it was incredible. Each time she would go deeper and deeper and the last time I literally felt paralyzed and euphoric. DH even let go enough to allow himself to be "hypnotized", and he is now completely supportive of the process.  I am so excited to do my 10 minutes of practice each day, and the exercises DH and I will do together in preparation, and am confident and not at all fearful of birth. I am actually excited for the experience.

I know this method isn't for everyone but if anyone has any questions about the class you can ask or send me a PM.

~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Hypnobirthing: Mongan Method, Review

• star173star173 member
    That's great! I read the book and practiced some, but I couldn't get myself to really commit to it. I was able to utilize what I learned for ONE contraction, er, uterine surge, during transition and boy did it help! I was able to just lie there, completely peaceful, almost like I was sleeping- it did still hurt, but was so much better than the rest of transition. I wish I had paid more attention to the book and practiced more.
  • Awesome!  I had a wonderful experience with hypnobirthing and am actually looking forward to doing it again.  At my 6 week postpartum visit my CNM asked me if I had felt anything, that's how calm Hypnobirthing kept me.  

I'm glad you are planning to practice, that is the key.  Oh and my hypnobirthing teacher gave us a copy of Comfort Zone CD and it is great, I listened to it the entire 17.5 hours of labor.  It might be something to look into if you are thinking you will want to listen to music.  It's just instrumental music recorded into a hypnotic rhythm.  Keep up the good work!

• Loading the player...
  • One of the doulas I am considering (if we go with a birth center birth) is also a hypnobirthing instructor.  I am very curious.
  • I had a wonderful Hypnobirth 5 months ago. It was calm, quiet, and wonderful. Only my husband could tell when I was having a contraction because my breathing would change ever so slightly (deeper and longer). I did not make noise the whole 15 hours of active labor and I only had 24 minutes of pushing. I made some noise while pushing, but it was related to the midwife putting her fingers around his head to check for the cord, and then unlooping the cord (around his neck twice). Other than that, not a peep. I listened to the birth affirmations, rainbow relaxation and one other...and then lots of my own music. (I would suggest making a play list of your music for the birth, even if you don't think you will use it. It was great for me to have a change of pace, even though I didn't plan on that).

I will say that while I did want to "breath him down" I did have to push a bit. However, the birth was still easy for the both of us. My husband was very supportive (he even fell asleep every time we practiced the relaxations together it relaxed him so much! Wink ) He was right there with me the whole time.

GL, and practice really does make perfect when it comes to Hypnobirthing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesschwege:
    Comfort Zone CD

Is that one of the hypnobirthing/babies CDs or by someone else?

• What are your thoughts on hypnobirthing vs Bradley method?  Would you do both, or one or the other?
    Brought home an extra special souvenir from vacation! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejaymiegerard:

imagesschwege:
    Comfort Zone CD

the Comfort Zone is an instrumental CD by Steven Halpern. the music is used in the background of the Rainbow Relaxation CD, which is distributed by HypnoBirthing practitioners as part of the class materials. the RR CD includes birth affirmations and a relaxation track, both set to the Comfort Zone music. 

• imagelauraliz24:
    What are your thoughts on hypnobirthing vs Bradley method?  Would you do both, or one or the other?

i'm a HypnoBirthing practitioner, so i'm biased! but, i also have been a student of both Bradley and HypnoBirthing, so i feel qualified to answer this question!

i loved my bradley class, until it came time to labor. I felt my husband was more prepared for labor and birth than i was. i felt bradley lacked the deep relaxation techniques that worked for me when i'm in labor. i spent much of my first birth HypnoBirthing without knowing it. my first labor ended in a c/s, largely because I was trying to do the bradley techniques and they just weren't working for me. when my labor came to a rest, we went to the hospital for a c/s. i didn't know then what i know now, that it's perfectly normal and OK for labor to rest. 

for my second birth, i studied HypnoBirthing and loved it! It was exactly what i needed to assist me in labor. the class is shorter (5 2.5hr classes vs 12 2hr classes), but it covers much of the same material (nutrition, exercise, physiological changes during labor and birth, positions for labor, special circumstances, common interventions, selecting a caregiver and birthing location, what to expect in labor, prenatal and postpartum bonding and the role of the birth companion). additionally, HypnoBirthing shows you how to achieve a deep level of relaxation with several self-hypnosis techniques, deepeners and hypnosis-induced anesthesia.

unlike Bradley, which teaches that there is pain in labor for a purpose, HypnoBirthing teaches that labor does not have to be painful; that pain in labor is brought on by the fear-tension-pain syndrome and that removing the fear can break that cycle. we do this by releasing negative emotions and experiences that cause us to retain fear. this is the most important tenet of HypnoBirthing.

HypnoBirthing moms report shorter labors, fewer interventions, less discomfort in labor, fewer c/s, and overall are more pleased with their labors. additionally, moms who study HypnoBirthing have fewer breech babies (because hypnosis techniques are the most effective techniques at turning breech babies).

g/l with whatever you decide and feel free to PM me with any questions (or just ask here!).

~L

• imageLindseyJW:
    imagejaymiegerard:

imagesschwege:
    Comfort Zone CD

the Comfort Zone is an instrumental CD by Steven Halpern. the music is used in the background of the Rainbow Relaxation CD, which is distributed by HypnoBirthing practitioners as part of the class materials. the RR CD includes birth affirmations and a relaxation track, both set to the Comfort Zone music. 

That's right, thank you.  I loved the Rainbow Relaxation CD and used it a lot when I practiced.  When I actually went into labor though I found the talking to be distracting.  That's why I liked Comfort Zone so much.  Here's a link if you are interested: https://store.hypnobirthing.com/comfortzonebystevenhalpern.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"