Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

does you LO obsess on a cartoon character?

My DS is 19mo and he never liked movies, cartoons, ect. He finally started liking Baby Einstein movies and would be the only thing he would ever watch, which still wasn't too often.

All of a sudden he absolutely LOVES Toy Story and is obssesed on Buzz Lightyear! He says "BAZZ' all day long. He wants everything Buzz-shoes, clothes, toys, ect. If we take off his Buzz PJs he cries and cries! Everyone that sees how obsessed he is thinks it's adorable and they are amazed because they say that he's so young to be obsessed like that.

Is this normal? Does anyone else's LO obsess like this?

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: does you LO obsess on a cartoon character?

• Not yet.  DD still doesn't really care about the TV even when it's on.  She just doesn't watch it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• B really loves Elmo, though I don't know if I'd say obsessed. He gets pretty worked up if we don't stop and glance at Elmo products at the store, but he gets over it pretty quickly. I don't buy him character clothes/shoes, so he can't get upset about not wearing them (though he does like to point out Elmo on his night time diapers). He's never seen Sesame St., he just knows the characters from Busch Gardens and books.
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • my son is obsessed with elmo!  he said the word elmo before mom or dad.
  • DD went through a Buzz phase and then a Mickey phase.

Right now, however, she is on a Glee phase. I DVR Glee every week and she loves it b/c of the signing. The first time we watched it together she was fixated on the screen and when Kurt was signing I told her - "that's Kurt." Now, all she wants is Kurt. Every time we go in the tv room she says "More Kurt! More Kurt! Watch Kurt." I'm not kidding when I tell you I have probably watched the songs from the last 3 episodes no less than 100 times a piece. It's cute - but enough already!!! Hopefully, it stops raining one day so we can play outside before I go crazy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thomas and Elmo.
  • imageMrs.S-S:

DD went through a Buzz phase and then a Mickey phase.

Right now, however, she is on a Glee phase. I DVR Glee every week and she loves it b/c of the signing. The first time we watched it together she was fixated on the screen and when Kurt was signing I told her - "that's Kurt." Now, all she wants is Kurt. Every time we go in the tv room she says "More Kurt! More Kurt! Watch Kurt." I'm not kidding when I tell you I have probably watched the songs from the last 3 episodes no less than 100 times a piece. It's cute - but enough already!!! Hopefully, it stops raining one day so we can play outside before I go crazy!

Oh we have a Toy Story obsession and Thomas but we also love Glee. We watch the old episodes on Netflix. He loves the singing and we dance. The nice part of it it gives mom and dad a break from the kids shows and Toy Story and we have a blast dancing and singing around.

• her faves are Cookie Monster (bc someone got her a CM chatter toy for her bday which she loved even though she had never watched Sesame Street at that point) and the Wiggles (bc we would watch videos on youtube on occassion).
    click the pic (blog)
  • they aren't really a cartoon, but, LO adores the Fresh Beat Band, mostly for the music, he claps, dances, and "sings" with them. it's too freakin cute!

Other than that, not really, he knows who Elmo is since some of his toys have Elmo on them and if Sesame Street is on while he's playing and he looks up and see Elmo he points to his toys and says Melmo.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Atreyu doesn't watch tv... but sees Elmo in books... and on the store shelves and in stuffed animals and LOVES him.  He points him out every time and tries to say Elmo.
  • minnie mouse is the QUEEN at our house .. thankfully she can get her fix via mickey mouse clubhouse (commerical free too !!).

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imagemagdusia:
    my son is obsessed with elmo!  he said the word elmo before mom or dad.

Hahaa.....same here!! He is in love with that little monster.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Snuggle could be anywhere in the house and if he hears Chica from Sprout on the TV, he comes running!  He doesn't really watch TV but he will play near the TV when Chica is on.  It is too funny!
  • Kai lan.  DD is obsessed with her.  Elmo is a close second.  And funny thing is she loved both of them long before she ever watched Ni Hao Kai Lan or Sesame
    Street. She was just drawn to the dolls, books, etc.
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
  • Totally normal. It has been a progression of obsessions with DD1. First it was Elmo, then Dora, then Toy Story, then Scooby Doo. Now it's Mario and Luigi, go figure. I am anticipating something similar with DD2 as well.
    Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • My Ds is crazy about the SPROUT channel!! He doesnt really sit and watch it but it may be on as a back round noise when Im doing housework etc.. but he loves the Morning shoe with Chica and then Caliou, Pajanimals, and Seseme Street, Thomas, I dont mind that he watches it here and there its very educational! Works for this Mamma!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"