Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Does your 17mth old eat off of a plate or bowl?

Usually with DS I just put his food on his high chair tray.  I know I need to start getting him to use dishes though.  But we tried to give him a plate yesterday and he threw it on the floor and it broke (it was hard plastic).

Re: Does your 17mth old eat off of a plate or bowl?

• naflmjnaflmj member
    sometimes like if we are eating at a table w/his booster seat instead of high chair or a bowl if it's yogurt or something similar. 
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• I just started giving her food to her on a paper plate.  That way she gets used to it and if she throws it down it doesn't break. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
    1. Cook food carefully with your toddler's delicate palate in mind.
    2. Place food into child safe bowl with suction cup so toddler learns table manners.
    3. Replace suction bowl first 25 times toddler pulls it up.
    4. When toddler dumps food over the side of the high chair tray, check for pet hair. If it is visible, throw it away. 
    5. Wipe tray and replace bowl with back up food you had prepared just in case.
    6. When toddler throws this on the floor, give him1/4 of your meal to eat off of his high chair tray.
    7. When he swipes his arms back and forth like "the wipers on the bus go swish swish swish" try to block flying food from staining your work clothes.
    8. Try to get squeeze bag of pur?ed veggies into toddler's mouth while he blows raspberries and swings his arms wildly and yells "Tuk! Tuk!".
    9. Give up and hand toddler rice cake to munch on while he plays with his firetruck.
    10. Wipe down tray and dump your cold meal in the trash. Eat the other half of gummed up rice cake while you carry messy baby to bath tub.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • DD has been using a dinner plate just like hubs and I since she was about 8 1/2-9 months.  Before that she used a plastic plate on her highchair.  Around 6-7 months I just put stuff on her high chair tray.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• We've always used plates and bowls.  DD rarely throws them anymore, once she's done eating, we remove them from her high chair tray to remove any temptation!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sasa625sasa625 member

DD has been using a bowl since she started eating solids... she's been feeding herself consistently from a bowl since about 18 months, but as soon as she's close to being done, the food gets dumped.

We always put her food on a plate, but 90% of the time she dumps it out. If she has something like ketchup on the plate, she may be more likely to keep it there, but not always. We keep trying though... I feel like she should be using a plate at this point!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Leap08Leap08 member
    My daughter now sits at the table in a booster and eats off a plate or out of a bowl. I started doing that maybe 2 months ago? She just seemed unhappy in her highchair and wasn't eating very well. I thought if we put her at the table, she might be happier. It worked. She rarely throws her plate these days. She did at first, though.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • she gets her meals on a plate- plastic or even paper. halfway thru, she generally turns the plate over, but sometimes she'll go the whole meal with keeping it on the plate. i started several months ago when i got tired of wiping down restaurant tables for her.
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hs ate off whatever i put it on, but if it was something he would use a fork or spoon with the bowl was easier on him.

• We just started being able to get through his whole meal without him turning his plate or bowl over. Once he saw all the kids at his new daycare eating from a plate and not in a High Chair he did it no problem.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD will be 16 months old on Sunday and we put all her food on a plate or in a bowl. We have done this since she was about 11 or 12 months. They are cheap like $1 per plate type things. She has never thrown her plate or bowl off the high chair. When she is finished she does the sign for all done and then says done and hands us her plate. If we don't take it right away she just sits it back down until we take it (she will continue to sign all done and say it until the plate is gone)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS is 13.5 months old. I give him a plate or bowl for meals but not usually for snacks (though I sometimes will put a bowl of cheerios or something on the floor if he's not at his high chair). Generally, he eats off it (with his hands) until he is about 75% through, and then dumps the rest on the tray. :P For some reason, he will do better in restaurants and just eat off the plate the whole time. 
  • imageStrawberryAlarmClock:
    2. Place food into child safe bowl with suction cup so toddler learns table manners.
    4. When toddler dumps food over the side of the high chair tray, check for pet hair. If it is visible, throw it away. 
    6. When toddler throws this on the floor, give him1/4 of your meal to eat off of his high chair tray.
    7. When he swipes his arms back and forth like "the wipers on the bus go swish swish swish" try to block flying food from staining your work clothes.
    8. Try to get squeeze bag of pur?ed veggies into toddler's mouth while he blows raspberries and swings his arms wildly and yells "Tuk! Tuk!".
    9. Give up and hand toddler rice cake to munch on while he plays with his firetruck.
    10. Wipe down tray and dump your cold meal in the trash. Eat the other half of gummed up rice cake while you carry messy baby to bath tub.

LOVE THIS !!!!!

• We're just starting to give her plates and bowls more. I've always put her food on a plate on the table, then given her a little at a time on her tray, but lately she asks for the plate and will eat more off it. She also more often than not dumps the food and throws the plate, but I guess she has to get used to it at some point.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I like the paper plate idea.

We use plastic bowls.  Snuggle puts his food in, takes it out.  Then in, then out again.  Shampoo, rinse repeat.

Then the floor.  Done enough times, then dinner is over :).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope, I just put her food on the high chair tray.  When i give her food on plates or bowls, she always turns it over to spill the food Tongue Tied
  • imageStrawberryAlarmClock:

every time you respond to a post, I end up laughing. This time I laughed/cried because it's exactly what happens at my house...

• DD2 uses a bowl at 14 months and has for awhile. We don't usually do plates, though, she just eats off her tray. I need to start. 

I like the Munchkin bowls and plates. You can get them with or without suction cups, and theirs work reasonably well. I've never had them break, although I have had some of the spoons/forks melt a little bit in the dishwasher. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • imageSingingmama:
    imageStrawberryAlarmClock:

every time you respond to a post, I end up laughing. This time I laughed/cried because it's exactly what happens at my house...

:) That's awesome. Thanks
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"