Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

I am frustrated and clueless

These two are monkeys.  They won't stop climbing.  I don't really care if they get on the couch, but the minute they're up there they go to the end tables and try to get to whatever is next.  We have a toy storage shelf by one that they try to get on and the picture window that goes to the kitchen at the other. 

In a fit of frustration this morning, I took the end tables out.  Now, they are going on the back of the couch and they've both fallen already this morning b/c I just can't watch them both 100%.  They don't care that they've hurt themselves, they just do it over and over.  

It's driving me mad and no matter how many times I try to redirect it doesn't work.  

Sorry, this got kind of long.  

Any advice?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I am frustrated and clueless

• Not really advice so much as reassurance. In my childhood development class, we learned that climbing is how kids learn proprioception and their relationship to the world as well as physics (including gravity!! bonk!). So....I think removing the end tables was a good move.  Is the floor carpeted? They have to learn somehow that there is an edge to the couch and they will go kaboom if they cross it. Perhaps there may be no way to stop it as much as embrace it??? Sorry. Not much help here.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Not much help here either. My son has been doing the same thing for almost 6 months now. I swear the climbing started as soon as the walking did! He also likes to climb to the back of the couch and just roll off down the front, so scary for me!

If this helps at all, he has finally started to stay off the end tables about a month ago! He still tries to grab stuff off of them, but no more climbing on them. So maybe it just takes time and LOTS of redirecting? Also, I finally got my husband to baby proof the kitchen (put the locks on the bottom cabinets) so now Parker has more space to run around/explore (his bedroom, the hallway, the living room & the kitchen). Before the kitchen was gated off & he wasn't allowed in there. Hope others have some more suggestions.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry, no help here.  But, please someone post something useful....my 18 month old is driving me crazing climbing up onto chairs to get onto the kitchen table, the kitchen counter tops...everything!
  • Sounds like you have Evil Knievel times two on your hands!  I would suggest trying timeouts but part of me is a bit conflicted about that and I can't explain why but you can try it.  I guess you can look at it this way, in terms of safety better to climb at home then on a jungle gym, right?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i honestly can't even imagine how hard it is with twins (or more).

we have the couch she climbs on but nothing that's near it for her to climb on to from the couch... we have a HUGE beanbag chair thing in her play room though- and we let her go nuts with that. she runs and leaps onto it, crawls up it, rolls off of it. we also have a play mat on the floor so if she does fall off it's not too bad. basically, she does have one area where she can do as she pleases (for the most part) and i think that helps us contain her on the rest.

can you set up an area (even in the corner of their room or something) where it's safer for them to climb and jump around and stuff and then when/if they start doing it in other areas, redirect them to the safe area?

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • coey03coey03 member
    Do you have dogs? We positioned the beds to catch him if he falls. I also keep turning him around so that he goes backwards and feet first off the couch. I'm surprised that he seems like he might be starting to understand.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh yeah, forgot to mention.  We have hardwoods.  These two have an insane amount of bruises on their heads.  I'm sure I get some fun looks out in public.
  • coey03coey03 member

imagerobinsokj:
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention.  We have hardwoods.  These two have an insane amount of bruises on their heads.  I'm sure I get some fun looks out in public.

We really like those interlocking foam mats. He barely notices when he falls. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My son is very similar and I can't imagine how you are doing it with two!  I told my husband that I'd love to have a room in the house with padded walls so that I could just sit there for a few minutes and not have to worry about him getting hurt on something.  Wish I had advice.

• Let them climb, let them get hurt (obviously within reason!)

It's important to their development to explore their surroundings, learn how their bodies work, etc.

I like privacy. A lot.
  • We also had to remove end tables. Our couch is currently against a wall, so that's not a big deal, but when we move it won't be and we'll have hardwood floors, so I plan to get those foam floor tiles - the ones that lock together to make a play mat.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree and I am right there with the fustration, but climbing is him learning i feel. It scares me all of the time, my LO is 20 months and he tried to walk doen the stairs by himself last night. (We have no railing becuase there is only 6 stairs and really no room)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"