Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

early fffc

New GA states that it is now against the law to BF a child over 2 years old in public. It is causing HUGE outrage here and while I support BF and did BF my own son for 6 months, I do agree that BFing a +2 year old is overkill. 

IMHO if a child is old enough to ask for the boob, I think its times to stop...  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: early fffc

• MCC1010MCC1010 member

This is going to get ugly.

edit: This is an unpopular opinion (UO) and not really a confession. Just saying....

• I don't think the government should be able to have a law against it though. If a mother chooses to feed her child that way, that is her choice... same as if a mom wants to give her child pepsi... and if it is because they don't want the mom to be exposed, I've seen people wear see through sirts with no bra at the mall... there's no law against that.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • OMG I totally agree. After a year I think you should stop breast feeding. Do you want a person attached to you? jk
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Overkill in your opinion, fine - that's what makes an opinion a beautiful thing.  But, they've made it illegal.  The government has gotten involved and said that mothers can't BF their child - and whatever your opinion - I think it's wrong on the government's part.

And I will honestly never understand the whole "when the kid can ask..." argument.  My DS could sign and ask to nurse at 9ish months.  Should I have stopped then? 

DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • annibesannibes member
    I really disagree with the government being able to tell people how to feed their kids. Theyd never go the other direction and make it illegal to formula feed without first trying to nurse (medical reasons aside, of course). (Also note: I'm making a point, not advocating an anti-formula law before someone gets their undies in a bundle). Anyway, how are they going to prove age? O looked like he was 2 years old by the time he was one year old... He's always been huge. Would I have been ticketed on an assumption?
  • It's pretty clear the law is to protect the delicate sensibilities of those like the OP who would be disgusted by extended nursing. Like fred said, it makes zero sense that when a kid turns 2 BFing suddenly becomes indecent exposure. It's totally fishy to say by law it's okay at one age, but not another.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagelilhotcandie69:
    OMG I totally agree. After a year I think you should stop breast feeding. Do you want a person attached to you? jk

Soooooo, when did the baby finally become a person in your eyes?  Weird.  

ETA: Oh dear lordy, I didn't see the jk at the end.  You got me, I thought you were being serious!  Sorry Stick out tongue

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Actually, from what I've read on it, the law actually is written against public nudity, and has a clause PROTECTING mothers with infants (under 2) from being persecuted/arrested for nursing their babies.  So, essentially, if you are nursing a toddler (over 2), someone could turn you in for breaking this public nudity law... though, really, as a previous poster mentioned, a mom nursing a toddler generally will show LESS skin, so probably won't be mistaken for a flasher. 

Should they have set the age limit higher?   I definitely think so. 
    Did they purposely make a law to discourage extended BFing?  That doesn't necessarily seem to be the case... it seems more like an oversight, not realizing that many women DO BF their children beyond two years.

• I would much rather see them pass a law that makes it illegal to give a young child Starbucks coffee.

However, neither thing should be made illegal.  I think that's a slippery slope and I hope they can repeal it eventually.

As for your confession part, that's great that you feel that way.  You don't have to bf your kid that long and no one is forcing you.  And you can side eye it all you want, but you should be able to respect that people should be able to choose that for themselves.

fwiw, I still bf DD in the morning and before bed and have never had the intention to continue past 1.  I don't really want to nurse her long term, but I do respect people's right to choose something that works for them.

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageWildcatPrincess:
    It's pretty clear the law is to protect the delicate sensibilities of those like the OP who would be disgusted by extended nursing. Like fred said, it makes zero sense that when a kid turns 2 BFing suddenly becomes indecent exposure. It's totally fishy to say by law it's okay at one age, but not another.
    :: thumbs up ::
  • I'm still nursing my DD2.  I tried to wean at 12 months with no luck.  I tried again at 14 months, with no luck.  At 16 months, she now brings me the boppy pillow, and signs for "more milk" when I get home. 

I never thought I would be nursing this long.  My other 2 were weaned at or around 12 months.  Do I in any way think it is wrong to keep BFing after 2 years old?  Heck no.  That is between a mother and her child.   

I don't want the government in my uterus or my bra, thank you very much.

• BFab11BFab11 member
    imagewnk1029:

Actually, from what I've read on it, the law actually is written against public nudity, and has a clause PROTECTING mothers with infants (under 2) from being persecuted/arrested for nursing their babies.  So, essentially, if you are nursing a toddler (over 2), someone could turn you in for breaking this public nudity law... though, really, as a previous poster mentioned, a mom nursing a toddler generally will show LESS skin, so probably won't be mistaken for a flasher. 

Should they have set the age limit higher?   I definitely think so. 
    Did they purposely make a law to discourage extended BFing?  That doesn't necessarily seem to be the case... it seems more like an oversight, not realizing that many women DO BF their children beyond two years.

It doesn't matter what the specifics of the law are, it's giving ammunition to businesses (which is where BFing moms seem to have the most issues) to disallow NIP. I can guarantee it wasn't an oversight; they had to make it look like one so it wasn't a blatant removal of mothers' rights.
  • BFab11BFab11 member

Oh and OP, it's amazing how as a mother you can make such a close minded and ignorant statement when it comes to someone feeding their kid. There's a good chance my son will still be nursing after he's 2 (right along with my new baby), especially if he doesn't outgrow his allergies. It's difficult to make sure he's getting everything he needs on a restricted diet, and BM helps me feel better and know that he's getting the nutrition and calories he needs.

Is it ok with you for someone to BF longer because a child needs the nutrition, or should I put him on formula because a few people might get creeped out?

• dantodanto member

imageHailsLyrics:
    imageWildcatPrincess:
    It's pretty clear the law is to protect the delicate sensibilities of those like the OP who would be disgusted by extended nursing. Like fred said, it makes zero sense that when a kid turns 2 BFing suddenly becomes indecent exposure. It's totally fishy to say by law it's okay at one age, but not another.
    :: thumbs up ::

agreed!

• LSzwayaLSzwaya member

imagedunvilles:
    I've seen people wear see through sirts with no bra at the mall... there's no law against that.

Yes 

MC 4/09 at 6w2d 
    Rainbow Jude 
    born: 12/31/09
    Pre-E Induction at 36w4d
    11 Day NICU stay due to GBS infection

TTC#2 10/2010
    M/C: 4/09/11 5w
    CP: 12/26/2011 
    CP: 1/28/2012 
    MMC: 4/16/2012 at 11w2d 
    Ectopic: 6/25/2012 MTX 07/03/12
    CP 11/24/2012 
    Rainbow Violet 
    born: 9/11/13

All ALers welcome! 
  • imageJCGreene85:

New GA states that it is now against the law to BF a child over 2 years old in public. It is causing HUGE outrage here and while I support BF and did BF my own son for 6 months, I do agree that BFing a +2 year old is overkill. 

IMHO if a child is old enough to ask for the boob, I think its times to stop...  

I honestly don't care how long someone chooses to breast feed. But your argument makes no sense. It is like saying a child is too young to use a diaper when they can say "potty".

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I still BF my 22 month old, on demand (which means when he asks), in public, and will continue to do so until he decides to stop. I dare anyone to tell me how I should or should not be feeding my child. Woe is the ignorant person who says anything to me around my husband.

It's my child, my body, our business. I don't ever flash anything at this point, nor should it even matter considering the state of undress you see the average girl in at the mall.

Saying you should stop nursing when a child can ask for it is pure ignorance. So if a child can ask for it at 10m they are done? What if they are 7m and can sign for it? How about the 5m old who can tug on your shirt? Let's not stop there, let's think of the newborn who tells you they want to eat by rooting around. Are they not asking for it? Yes, let's stop nursing right then and there because it may offend some asswipes.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • imageChrysallys:

I still BF my 22 month old, on demand (which means when he asks), in public, and will continue to do so until he decides to stop. I dare anyone to tell me how I should or should not be feeding my child. Woe is the ignorant person who says anything to me around my husband.

It's my child, my body, our business. I don't ever flash anything at this point, nor should it even matter considering the state of undress you see the average girl in at the mall.

Saying you should stop nursing when a child can ask for it is pure ignorance. So if a child can ask for it at 10m they are done? What if they are 7m and can sign for it? How about the 5m old who can tug on your shirt? Let's not stop there, let's think of the newborn who tells you they want to eat by rooting around. Are they not asking for it? Yes, let's stop nursing right then and there because it may offend some asswipes.

• nealblnealbl member
    Yikes backing out slowly this is not going to be pretty
  • nealblnealbl member

Actually now reading the responses they weren't too bad. I agree that its not the governments right to say that a two year old shouldn't breastfeed.

On a separate note I do wish some mom's would make a better effort to cover up while breatfeeding. It does not make me uncomfrotable but you can tell every man around is uncomfortable, which I think is normal. While us women view it as a natural beautiful thing a man is not programmed like us and all they feel is there is a boob out for me to look at but I should not look at it.

Even my DH who is pretty laid back. I mean he will buy tampons and I breastfed so he is familiar with it. However we were out to eat and a lady at the table next to us was feeding without a cover up and he admitted he was really uncomfortable. He said he knew he shouldn't be but he was.

• DD started asking for the boob at 9 months
    The poster formally known as Irish Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree that it is a beautiful and healthy thing. I BF till my son was 15 months and I am proud of it. I then chose to stop becuase of starting to travel with work again I found it to difficult to pump during conferences, and travel milk back home, and I could not bring myself to waste it. BM is gold. Now here i am 4 months later, and my son has been sick more in the past 4 months then he was the first 15 months of his life. And nothing changed in his enviornemtn except removing the BM. He has continued to go to the same daycare since he was 10 weeks old.

However from a different standpoint, and haveing a husband as a prosecutor for the state. I would have to think that the "law" is not completely (yes some probably has to do with the mind set that some people have of not likeing BF in public at all) but it might have something to do with avoiding a possibily situation with sick minded individuals.

• imagenealbl:

Actually now reading the responses they weren't too bad. I agree that its not the governments right to say that a two year old shouldn't breastfeed.

On a separate note I do wish some mom's would make a better effort to cover up while breatfeeding. It does not make me uncomfrotable but you can tell every man around is uncomfortable, which I think is normal. While us women view it as a natural beautiful thing a man is not programmed like us and all they feel is there is a boob out for me to look at but I should not look at it.

Even my DH who is pretty laid back. I mean he will buy tampons and I breastfed so he is familiar with it. However we were out to eat and a lady at the table next to us was feeding without a cover up and he admitted he was really uncomfortable. He said he knew he shouldn't be but he was.

I'm going to play devil's advocate, but why should women worry about making your husband uncomfortable.  People who put those giant hole things in their ears so you can see straight through their lobes make me uncomfortable (and a little queasy), but I would never dream of asking them to cover up their ears. 

I shouldn't have to use a cover just to make sure I don't accidentally flash some boob-top and make someone's husband a little uncomfortable. 

• nealblnealbl member
    imagegrapeape73:
    imagenealbl:

I'm going to play devil's advocate, but why should women worry about making your husband uncomfortable.  People who put those giant hole things in their ears so you can see straight through their lobes make me uncomfortable (and a little queasy), but I would never dream of asking them to cover up their ears. 

I shouldn't have to use a cover just to make sure I don't accidentally flash some boob-top and make someone's husband a little uncomfortable. 

Fair enough. Not just my husband though most men probably feel uncomfortable not all, but most. Also ear lobe not a private body part(but I agree I don't like those giant holes). Boob is a private body part. I am not saying they have to cover up then I would be no better than the government. I just wish they would when men are present. If it was a room full of women by all means let boobies fly about :) Just an opinion!

• nealblnealbl member
    imagenealbl:
    imagegrapeape73:
    imagenealbl:

Fair enough. Not just my husband though most men probably feel uncomfortable not all, but most. Also ear lobe not a private body part(but I agree I don't like those giant holes). Boob is a private body part. I am not saying they have to cover up then I would be no better than the government. I just wish they would when men are present. If it was a room full of women by all means let boobies fly about :) Just an opinion!

Oh and to clarify on my DH's behalf he was not complaining about it. I could tell he was uncomfortable so I asked him when we left if it bothered him. He said it was a little weird that he could see her whole boob. He never said anything bad about her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"