Breastfeeding

anyone BF and using a pacifier?

Any BF'ers using a pacifier?  If so, when did you introduce it?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: anyone BF and using a pacifier?

• I have breast fed all 3 of my babies. My first used a pacifer after a couple of weeks. (I was so worried he would be confused.) My 2nd baby never would take a paci. My 3rd little guy was given a paci on day 2 in the hospital because he basically started nursing immediately and wanted to stay on the breast 24/7. My nips needed a break!

• shes had access to one since birth. shes never had issues latching so  our pedi didnt have a problem with us giving her one.... however shes not the fondest of it.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby has had a pacifier since day 3 and she has not had a problem latching on or nipple confusion
  • I asked them not to give her one in the hospital, but the second time she went to the nursery she came back with one in her mouth. She's never had any issues with confusion as far as I can tell.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD has had a pacifier part time since birth. She doesn't sleep with it ever, just uses it for a few minutes occasionally in the day and to help go to sleep for naps. She's never had trouble latching or nursing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LO has been using a pacifier since the hospital. He is so much happier when he has it, I'm just hoping when we decide to take it away it isn't a big deal.  He also takes a bottle for most feedings during the day and nurses at night. We are very lucky our LO got the hang of doing all of it. 
  • imagemrsbmw09:
    DD has had a pacifier part time since birth. She doesn't sleep with it ever, just uses it for a few minutes occasionally in the day and to help go to sleep for naps. She's never had trouble latching or nursing.

This exactly.

• mrambo3mrambo3 member
    I actually just gave DS a pacifier an hour ago.  Now he's on the boob and he didn't have any problems.  Hopefully I won't have to use the paci that often...just in times of desperation!  I was (and still am) super nervous about nipple confusion.
     Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine took a paci the day after he was born. He wanted to nurse and nurse and I got blisters by the end of the day he was born and I was in agony. My Dr said that some babies are just 'suckers' and need it. (I know I sure did!) There are paci's that the hospital gives out and you can also get them in the store. They are supposed to be really good for nursing moms. I know there is a stigma about pacifiers while nursing but it really isn't a big deal. My son did totally fine with the binky it was acutally harder when we started trying to get him to take a bottle (of breastmilk) once a day, but that was more because of the difference in nipple size and how much milk came out. I think you should introduce it when you need to! If you are concerned, only use it when there's a need rather than just giving it. I just use it to help him self-soothe when he's upset so that I don't get him in the habit of just having it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"