Breastfeeding

Oversupply/forceful letdown/engorgement issues.

Hi ladies. I'm new to BF (didn't BF my son) and I feel like I am having serious issues. I know it's still so early, but I need to resolve these issues ASAP.

My milk came in day 3/4 PP. Now it's leaking everywhere all the time! I can't get LO to latch well, she is always choking and dribbling milk out her mouth when she eats- even if I've expressed a little to ease the pressure. Every time she latches it burns like crazy, and she will latch and pull off many times in a nursing session. I know she is hungry because if she finds her fingers she sucks like mad.

My nips were cracked and bleeding, but they are healed now. They are still super freaking tender though. Her latch is so shallow, if I look down at her, her lips are practically pinched over the tip of my nipple only. Even if we start with a good, open latch, it ends this way. I probably don't need to tell anyone here how bad this hurts. I went to an LC a few days ago and I felt like she gave me jacked advice. She told me to only feed LO for 10-15 minutes at a time every 3 hours or so. She told me NOT to let LO snack and hang out on the boob. She did show me how to latch her properly, which was helpful but now my issue is keeping her latched!

I have a 15mo and a newborn, and I can't be writhing in pain all day long. My son needs some attention too. If anyone can help or at least sympathize, I would love it. Thanks, ladies.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Oversupply/forceful letdown/engorgement issues.

• Yeah, I don't agree with the LC's advice either.  Feed the baby when she wants to eat.  My DD would have been a total banshee, if I had held her to the 3 hour schedule.   If she starts to lose the good latch/slip off, remove her and latch again.  If you keep reinforcing the proper latch, she will get stronger and be able to stay on.  You will be in less pain with a proper latch.

As for the oversupply, it's still really early.  I was hosing DD for the first month or so.  The burning will also get better with time - although I had slight burning during letdown for the first year.

If things still don't improve, you might try a different LC.

• I always let DD feed until she unlatched herself, but I didn't have another LO to run around after.

Have you tried squishing your boob like a sandwich sort of, and shoving it in her mouth.  Make sure her tongue is underneath.

Is she falling asleep at the boob?  Make sure you undress her a bit and you might have to tap her feet to keep her awake.

Also, try different possitions.  DD did best in the side lying position, she was able to get the best latch.

You might want to check out a local LLL meeting, or check out kellymom  https://www.kellymom.com/ This site is awesome.

GL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • kat81kat81 member

My LC said to unlatch and relatch if the latch ever became worse during a feeding. That's what I recommend. Don't worry about the oversupply yet, but if it's still a problem at 8 wks or so then you can read posts here on it. 

Also, consider getting a milksaver. It's great for taking care of some of that leaking. Also make sure you wear breast pads non-stop! I bought a ton of reusable ones because I knew I'd burn through many packages of the disposable kind, but I needed enough to use several sets a day because I was so leaky. And I still soaked my clothes. It gets better, though. I don't leak anymore.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Definitely take her off during a feeding and relatch if it gets painful. Chances are she's 'clamping down' to try to slow your flow.

Try leaning back while you nurse and/or using the side laying position. Those will help with the letdown/choking.

Also, let her go as long as she wants on the first side and don't switch at X minutes.  That will help your supply regulate better.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • The other ladies are giving great advice.  The only thing I have to add is to definitely NOT make a 1 week old go 3 hours between feedings!  My son STILL at 9 months rarely goes 3 hours between feedings.  When he was that little, two hours was very maximum unless he was sleeping.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks guys! I tried the football hold and it was less painful, thank goodness. Plus she stayed latched on! :) Sometimes it just gets so discouraging relatching her over and over and she gets frustrated, and I get so disappointed. I am grateful for your support!
  • bancbevbancbev member

Our baby's have the same first name :)

Do you think she is sliding off the nipple because you are engorged?  Try some reverse pressure softening before you start the nursing session.  https://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman.html

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagebancbev:

Our baby's have the same first name :)

Do you think she is sliding off the nipple because you are engorged?  Try some reverse pressure softening before you start the nursing session.  https://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman.html

Your Ruby is beautiful! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"