Connecticut Babies

Which hospital to deliver in Fairfield County?

Hi everyone,

I need to find a new OB/GYN in FFLD county, and I think chosing the hospital for delivery would be a great way to start. 

We live in Norwalk, but are willing to travel. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Amy

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Which hospital to deliver in Fairfield County?

• I'm delivering in Greenwich, at the Greenwich Hospital.  I love it there, though I do have a bias because I was born there :) I do live here too, but Norwalk isn't too far from Greenwich. 

Hope that helps,

Robyn 

• I've heard such great things about Greenwich Hospital.  Haven't heard anything yet on Stamford or Norwalk Hospitals. 

Thanks for your input!

• Loading the player...
  • You should go on a tour!  From time to time, they have pregnancy fairs (my mom was like what is that? lol) but it was very helpful, a lot of info and they gave a tour of the maternity wing which is beautiful :)  If there's not a fair soon, I'm sure they would give you a tour anyway!

Robyn 

• ECB0718ECB0718 member
    I just delivered at Stamford Hospital 3 weeks ago and we loved it!  The nurses are amazing.
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • McKBabyMcKBaby member

I'm not PG yet, but when I moved to the area I chose an OB/GYN that delivers at Bridgeport Hospital. 

DS - 7.5
    DD #1 - 6
    ~ mmc 7.11.2018 @ 9w ~
    DD#2 - born 12.24.19

• Im delivering at Greenwich also. I live like 2 mins from the hospital. Ive heard that Norwalk hospital is very natural birth friendly. I ditto PP on taking a tour, it will give you an opportunity to ask questions about things that are important to you.

Also, while the hospital is important, the doctor is the one caring for you during your pregnancy. You gotta find someone who shares similar views and you feel comfortable with. Don't stress if you end up changing doctors later on. I changed once. And I know lots of people who even change later on in their pregnancies as issues often arise later...

Good luck! 

• Hi Amy,

Congratulations on your growing family! I delivered my first baby 10 1/2 weeks ago at the CT Women's and Childbirth Center in Danbury (https://www.ctbirthcenter.com/). I had a wonderful experience. They are across the street from Danbury Hospital. I highly, highly recommend them.

Best wishes for a beautiful birth!

LRP

• Thanks everyone for your well wishes and recommendations! 

• J'sLisaJ'sLisa member
    I delivered my breech DD via planned C-section at 39 wks at Norwalk Hosp.  I had a wonderful experience and would definitely recommend.  Do you have specific concerns?
  • Thanks for your input J'sLisa.  I've read about some cases in the paper - most recently a physician's assistant stealing the medication out of a woman's epidural.  My husband's friend from a while ago used to be a NICU nurse at a different hospital and he remembers her saying some negative things about Norwalk.  However, that was a few years ago.

Thanks! 

• Hi Amy,

I would say be VERY  careful of which doctor you choose.  I  felt the exact same way as you, I picked the hospital first and then chose an OB.  I heard wonderful things about Greenwich so I only wanted a doctor who delivered there.  I chose a practice that had 3 doctors so I would always know who the doctor who delivered me.  They also sent me to a perinatologist at Greenwich Hospital.  They originally said I had placenta previa, but by 27 weeks said it cleared itself up.  They said I was cleared for a vaginal birth and lifted all restrictions.  But I just didn't feel comfortable.  I switched at 27 weeks to Dr. Ordorica in NYC.  By my 3rd visit (in two weeks) He let me know I had 3 serious problems.  The placenta previa was still there, but the least serious of the three.  He said I could not under any circumstances have a vaginal birth  - if I did it would definitely  be fatal for my daughter.  3 hours later my water broke for unrelated reasons.  I was only 29 weeks. Luckily, I knew I couldn't have a vaginal birth and I rushed to the hospital.  I ended up with a c-section and the doctors confirmed that I did, in fact, have the conditions that Dr. O warned me about and it would have been fatal for my baby and very dangerous for me. 

Up until I switched OBs I was under the impression that everything was normal.  I hate to think what would have happened if I didn't listen to my gut.

By the way, they rushed me to the nearest hospital - Bridgeport.  I didn't know anything about this hospital or the NICU so I was extremely concerned.  I was too critical to move to another hospital, though.  I'm happy to say I've been very pleased with the experience.  The doctors and nurses have been wonderful.

• Forgot to mention, that I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Ordorica!!  He's in NYC and delivers at NYU.   He saved my daughters life. He delivers almost 100% of his patients himself - so no covering doctors!  He also spent 2 hours with me on all  appointments, he called me and all my doctors in Bridgport every day before and for 4 days after my delivery (even on the weekend and Easter).  And I only saw him 3 times (in 2 weeks) prior to giving birth.

He doesn't take insurance, but if you have a plan that will allow you to go out of network it's totally worth whatever percentage you have to pay.  It took me a month procrastinating because I thought I had a healthy pregnancy and I didn't want to pay the extra $ for an out of network doctor. I thought it was unnecessary.  However, it WASN'T a healthy pregnancy, but it took someone willing to put in the extra time to figure it out. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"