Natural Birth

Cord Clamping vs Cord Blood Banking

so, some of the info i've been reading says that, if you plan to bank your baby's cord blood, you shouldn't let the cord pulse. is this strictly true? it seems like you should be able to let it pulse for a least a little while and still get enough to bank. it's kind of a huge dilemma if you can only do one or the other!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

Re: Cord Clamping vs Cord Blood Banking

• My CNM said that while it is possible to 'milk' the placenta and get enough for banking purposes, you run the risk of not get enough if you delay cord cutting.  So I guess it just depends how important it is to you to bank the cord blood.  You may be able to delay and also get enough to bank, but my understanding is there is no way of knowing for sure.
  • imagesschwege:
    My CNM said that while it is possible to 'milk' the placenta and get enough for banking purposes, you run the risk of not get enough if you delay cord cutting.  So I guess it just depends how important it is to you to bank the cord blood.  You may be able to delay and also get enough to bank, but my understanding is there is no way of knowing for sure.
    This is what we were told too.  It can be possible, but that it's risky...and typically if you're planning to bank you will have spent time, money, energy securing the kit and arranging for the bank, and have a good reason for doing so...so you'll want to not delay cord clamping if you're set on banking.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know how it works for personal banking vs donation, but cord blood banks for donation generally have a volume cut off as well as a cell count cutoff.  If the unit does not meet those cutoffs, they don't even process it.  I would imagine this is specific to the bank though.  If you're interested in doing both, I would contact the company you would use for banking to see what their procedure is. 
  • vigurlvigurl member

imageCheriCO:
    but cord blood banks for donation generally have a volume cut off as well as a cell count cutoff.  If the unit does not meet those cutoffs, they don't even process it.  

Yes this is exactly true with private banking.  I asked my doc a few wks ago and she say if I delayed clamping I probably would not meet the min requirements for private banking 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kesryakesrya member
    Our research led us to the same discovery as everyone else has posted -- it is *possible* to still bank, but you won't get very much if even enough at all.  Given this, and the fact that the ACOG, AMA, and AAP all discourage private cord blood banking as "insurance" (ie. no established need), we decided to forgo this.  The way we saw it ... allowing the cord to finish pulsating gives our baby the benefit *now* in real time as opposed to paying large sums of money to bank for the possibility it might be needed in the future for a yet non-existent baby - since cord blood cells usually can't be used on the baby whom donated it since in theory, the genetic problem you are trying to address would be present in that baby's DNA code and therefore on the its own cord blood.
  • imagekesrya:
    Our research led us to the same discovery as everyone else has posted -- it is *possible* to still bank, but you won't get very much if even enough at all.  Given this, and the fact that the ACOG, AMA, and AAP all discourage private cord blood banking as "insurance" (ie. no established need), we decided to forgo this.  The way we saw it ... allowing the cord to finish pulsating gives our baby the benefit *now* in real time as opposed to paying large sums of money to bank for the possibility it might be needed in the future for a yet non-existent baby - since cord blood cells usually can't be used on the baby whom donated it since in theory, the genetic problem you are trying to address would be present in that baby's DNA code and therefore on the its own cord blood.

This is exactly the conclusion DH and I came to when doing our research for DS as well.  So we went ahead and delayed the clamping and didn't bank any cord blood.  If we were to bank it, we would do so in a public bank for donation purposes - that way it is more likely to be used rather than just sit in a private bank for years and us shelling out thousands of dollars for it to just sit there and possibly never get used.

• I work for a cord blood bank and can give you the facts behind the over-promotion. See https://cordadvantage.com/cord-blood-blog/2011/5-straight-facts-about-cord-blood-viacord-viacell-and-cord-blood-registry-wont-tell-you/ to find 5 Straight Facts About Cord Blood ViaCord / ViaCell and Cord Blood Registry Won?t Tell You
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"