2nd Trimester

What are your child care plans when baby comes?/Daycare Q?

What do you guys plan to do? Right now were looking at the SAHM route for at least the first year....For those that have looked at daycare- how much is it monthly and what area are you in? Also what hours is the daycare? Where do you live??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are your child care plans when baby comes?/Daycare Q?

• I work from home full time and my husband is in school full time.  We have no choice but to put our newborn in day care.  We are taking tours now in order to be on the waiting list for January 2012.  I wish my mom would become a weekend nurse and take care of the baby during the week, but she loves her job and I know she hates working weekends.  The rates we were quoted were between $150-200/wk and hours are about 6am-6pm.  
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • where do you live? thats pretty cheap for daycare
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan on taking my full 12 weeks FMLA leave but then our LO will have to go to daycare. In our area, it is pretty steep. Daycare for infants varies from 800-1300 per month for full time care.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We pay $196/week for our toddler to go 3x a week. That includes all meals and snacks.  The center is open from 6 - 6, I believe.

We started DS in DC at 14 m. I work from home, as well.  We will probably start the new baby at a year or maybe even sooner.  I kind of wish we had started DS earlier b/c he loves it so much and they do things there that I would never even think of doing, esp. being a work from home mom.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Right now DD is going to an unlicensed daycare that my friend runs.  I pay $30/day.  DD usually goes 3-4 (7-4p) days a week.  When baby #2 comes DH will be a SAHD.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • nic326nic326 member
    I am SAH but DS is in daycare/preschool 3 days a week for a half day at the cost of $286.00/mo. For Southern California that's a great deal but its also a co-op which is not for everybody.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Where I live an infant at a daycare center (or even an in-home place is average 200-250 a week. In order to afford that i'd have to get a 2nd job and probably get rid of my car, and stop paying half of my bills. So my grandma is going to watch her 3days a week & I need to find someone to watch her the other two days. Hopefully an aunt or something. Not ideal as I don't wanna tie anyone down, but I don't have any options at this point. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • LO #1 goes to a Montessori daycare and LO #2 will go the same place.  Cost for an infant is $263/week ($248/week for a toddler), so a bit over $1000/month per kid.  Hours are 6:30-6.  I live in CO

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Glad I live where I do...I have DD in daycare part time which is 2.25/hr with a minimum of 30 hrs a week (67.50/ week) When LO comes I am taking 12 weeks off and then both kids will go to this same daycare 2.10 for baby and 1.90 for DD. My daycare is in home and state certified. It is open 7am - 5:30pm and they do lunch and snacks...she does feed breakfast if your LO hasn't eaten or you bring it from home. My DD asks to go to daycare all the time, she really likes it there and has a lot of fun and that is the most important to me! Oh yeah, I don't know if I have it where you can see it, but I am in the Black Hills of South Dakota. 
  • imagebables21:
    Glad I live where I do...I have DD in daycare part time which is 2.25/hr with a minimum of 30 hrs a week (67.50/ week) When LO comes I am taking 12 weeks off and then both kids will go to this same daycare 2.10 for baby and 1.90 for DD. My daycare is in home and state certified. It is open 7am - 5:30pm and they do lunch and snacks...she does feed breakfast if your LO hasn't eaten or you bring it from home. My DD asks to go to daycare all the time, she really likes it there and has a lot of fun and that is the most important to me! Oh yeah, I don't know if I have it where you can see it, but I am in the Black Hills of South Dakota. 

Oh my word!  You pay in a week a little more than I pay a day (Philly area). I do like the Black Hills...hmmmm...haha.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • DS went to a center at 6 months (i took my 12 wks, MIL did 2 wks and DH worked part time for a little bit) we paid around $800-$900 a month for 6:30am to 6:30pm, other centers charge around $1K and there's no part time option.

With DD my MIL will watch her until she is 1 and then we will send her to an in home day care (she will take DS's spot when he goes to kindergarten), it is $900/month from 8am to 6pm

• DS started at a daycare center when he was 4 months old.  We're in CA (SF bay area) and we pay $1550 per month for his care.  DS2 will start there when he's 4 months old and we'll get a whopping 5% discount on DS1's care...so basically it's $3k/mo for the two of them. 

I would quit and be a SAHM in a heartbeat, but I carry the health benefits.  To use DH's company benefits will cost us $$$/month.  It's not worth it. And DH can't stay home since he works for the family business. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • doing the daycare route. my mom and my dad are both retired as are my in-laws. my parents offered to do it, but i don't feel right uprooting their entire lives. they have stuff they do. my in-laws don't seem to want to help. my MIL said she might be able to do 1 or 2 days. that might wasn't convincing enough for me. 

i just reserved a crib at a daycare yesterday. it's $850/month, 5 days a week. they're open 7-6. i live in the south hills of pittsburgh.  that's pretty cheap for the area i live. most are about $800-1200. if i lived east of the city, it would be cheaper.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am  taking 13 weeks for maternity leave one week vacation and one week leave of absence just to be ale to spend more time with baby and just in case i need the extra time for whatever pops up.  Baby will go to daycare if i cant find a nanny.  I work full time night n day shifts at a pharmacy.  that sucks though.
  • We had originally planned on going with daycare, but now we're moving and changing jobs, so I have no idea what' going to happen.  I may just work part-time and SAH part-time.
    Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• I'm not sure of the current rate but in 2009, it was 270 per week in our infant room when my daughter went there.  The hours were 6am-6pm.  I've seen some that are 630am-630pm though.  Currently, my daughter is in the toddler room and we pay $245 per week.  It goes down as she moves up to each room since ratios change.  We plan to put this baby in the infant room at my daughter's daycare.

ETA: we live in South Florida.

• I am going to take my 6wks/8wks (vag or c-sec) off that work will give me, but then the baby is going in daycare.  The big centers around here are about $140 - $160 per week.  But we like home daycares a little better.  (More one-on-one)  The home daycare that we chose was actually cheaper than the rest in the area.  $75 a week.  Most home daycares are around $90-$100.  But she's perfect for our route to work and lisenced by the state of course.

My MIL will probably be taking baby 1 day a week, so that will be nice too. 

• we're going with an in-home care provider for $150/week (which is very good for this area)...she watches 2 other children who will both be 2 by the time our little guy gets there in November, around 14 weeks or so. I'm thinking that when LO is around 2 we'll have him go to an actual day care so that he gets more interaction and structure. we'll see!!
  • We are doing daycare and it is about $300/week when infants then drops to $260 when toddlers.  Price depends on the area and type of facility.  The one we chose is more money but the teachers are qualified, the facility is clean and organized, they go up to Pre-K and the facility is safe.  I just want to feel comfortable.
  • imagenic326:
    I am SAH but DS is in daycare/preschool 3 days a week for a half day at the cost of $286.00/mo. For Southern California that's a great deal but its also a co-op which is not for everybody.

This might be a REALLY stupid question, but what is a co-op?

• I'll be staying home with the baby for 6 months.  After that, DD#2 will go to the same daycare that DD#1 currently attends for preschool.  DD#2 should be about $300/week for full time (5 days a week, up to 10 hours a day).  The daycare's hours are 7am - 6pm and we pick the 10 hour window we want to use.  I live in CT.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"