Trying to Get Pregnant

NTTGPR- Wedding gift etiquette

My DH's cousin is getting married so we were perusing their registry. DH is dreaming big on what to buy them, because his aunt and uncle gave us $300 for our wedding! So he wants to spend the same amount on his cousin. I was trying to explain to him that we just cannot afford that, and they'll understand. We're living off of one salary now that I'm in grad school full time! But I think I made him upset... We ended up agreeing on $100 worth of their cute Chinaware. What do you all think? Am I being cheap? Should we indulge a little more?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker image

Re: NTTGPR- Wedding gift etiquette

• On a cousin I wouldn't even spend that much.  I would probably spend $40-$50.  It would have to be one of my best friends or a sibling for me to spend $100 on a wedding gift.

MFI, Lap on 7/21/11 - Stage III/IV Endo and Polyps removed by D&C
    IVF #1 with ICSI - ER 1/20 (16R, 12M, 10F), ET 1/23 (1-10 cell and 1-8cell transferred), BFP on 1/31 Beta #1 on 2/3 = 68, Beta #2 on 2/6 = 261 EDD 10/12/12  
    Baby girl born 9/22/12

FET #1 - 9/16/13 - BFN

IVF #2 - ER 11/11/13 (24R, 18M, 16F), ET 11/16 (2 Grade A blasts)
    BFP on 11/23 Beta #1 = 76 EDD 8/2/14

• narabugnarabug member

I think that's reasonable if it's what you can afford. I would never base how much I spend on someone on how much someone else spent on me. It's just not realistic.

FWIW I'm a total tightwad and probably wouldn't even spend that much.

• Loading the player...
  • I think you should spend what you are comfortable spending. If they don't like it, oh well. You shouldn't have to worry over a wedding present.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think $100 is a good amount.  I don't know your/his family at or anything but I would assume that they gave you that money at your wedding because they wanted to and that they would not expect the same back from you in return for their kids wedding. just my opinion.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Thanks all! I'm glad I wasn't being unrealistic. I think DH feels guilty after people do extravagant things for us!
  • ShaylizShayliz member

I think $100 is completely reasonable.  His aunt and uncle gave you $300.. not your cousin. And I don't think there is an unspoken rule or anything that you have to match gift amounts. 

If you can spend $100..maybe make them a cute basket with some of the less expensive things on their registry? Someone did that for me and it was so cute... and really the smaller stuff is what I wanted more (salt & pepper shakers, new measuring cups, etc)! 

I think it depends on your area and your family/friends.  For me, $100 would be a bit low for a cousin, but we are used to spending around $200 for a wedding gift.  That said, if you cannot afford more than $100, then that's fine!  Don't even worry about it.

What did your cousin give you when you got married?

image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • alf005alf005 member
    I think you're being realistic.  I probably would spend no more than $50.  In situations like this I usually get a gift card to their chosen registry place for them to spend and a smaller item that I purchase and put them together.  I SO appreciated gift cards to purchase things after the wedding that we really needed, but were not given as gifts.  This is a place I like to get stuff for weddings from if you want to go off-registry, unique and gorgeous pieces and the smaller plates and serving dishes aren't that costly...https://www.wendellaugust.com/products/occasions/Wedding

• imagetheandersons09:
    Thanks all! I'm glad I wasn't being unrealistic. I think DH feels guilty after people do extravagant things for us!

MH is the same way.  He feels bad if people do nice things for us and he always wants to match their generosity if possible.  Or just go overboard in being generous to his friends and family, etc.  I have to sometimes bring him back to reality about what we can afford to do, as well.  But then again, his generosity is part of what I love about him.  Smile

Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• imagemchupie:

What did your cousin give you when you got married?

I'm thinking they got us our kickin' convection oven, which was about $80-$100. DH is so concerned about all the grand gestures from the family in general, which I understand. But I don't think they'll feel less loved based on the cost of what we get them.

• imagealf005:
    This is a place I like to get stuff for weddings from if you want to go off-registry, unique and gorgeous pieces and the smaller plates and serving dishes aren't that costly...https://www.wendellaugust.com/products/occasions/Wedding

Wow this site is fun! I think I've found my next distraction to look through! 

• What did your DH's cousin spend on your for your wedding?  We always try to reciprocate when it comes to wedding gifts.  To us, $100 is kinda low, especially for family but if it's all you can afford that's a perfectly fine gift.  We had some friends who we knew couldn't afford much and were so appreciative for any amount they were able to give. 
    Me: 35 | Him: 35
    G born 10/25/12 | H born 3/25/14
    TTC#3 since 7/2015
    Early loss 12/2015 most likely due to low progesterone
    Began medicated cycles (Femara/Ovidrel/Endometrin) with TI 1/2016
    BFP 3/22, EDD 12/4/16 ~ It's a GIRL!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think that what your DH needs to aim for is spending $300 on his niece/nephew's wedding when that day comes.  How much did his cousin give you guys?  I'm betting it wasn't $300...  

(not that it really matters what his cousin gave -- what I mean is that there's a big difference between an aunt/uncle who are comfortably settled giving such a generous gift, and a cousin stretching beyond his budget to give his cousin such a generous gift -- my own cousins spent $50-75 each on us, and I'd have been horrified if one of them had spent $300 on us, because I know they are still working hard to establish themselves in their adult lives -- hell I'd have been happy with a Hallmark card!)

my currently-reading shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • alf005alf005 member
    imagetheandersons09:

imagealf005:
    This is a place I like to get stuff for weddings from if you want to go off-registry, unique and gorgeous pieces and the smaller plates and serving dishes aren't that costly...https://www.wendellaugust.com/products/occasions/Wedding

Wow this site is fun! I think I've found my next distraction to look through! 

I go in their store and look often...the people that work there probably think I'm creepy haha.  I got a serving dish from here for my wedding and love it, so now I always associate their stuff with wedding gifts.  Their store locations actually have craftsmen working in them that you can watch...very cool how they make these things. 

• Ellis31Ellis31 member
    Your are Not being cheap at all! That's a generous amount to give a cousin, or close friend etc especially if you and YH are living off one salary. $100 is more then enough :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My SIL is getting married this weekend and we will probably be spending between 60-100 dollars.  buuuut then again we got married in October and she didn't get us ANYTHING! 
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks ladies! I think DH has agreed it's reasonable AND they'll love us unconditionally :)
  • I think $100 a person is the minimum you should spend for each person attending the wedding. You and DH attending the wedding would, therefore, require you to give a gift of at least $200. Ideally, you should match the gift you were given, but if that is not possible, I would give what you can and then include a note explaining your situation and how you wish you could give more. Could you cut back in another area for a little to make up the difference? Eat in an extra night each week? 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• That's totally reasonable.  That's about what our cousin's gave us, some more some less.  You should only give what you can afford.
  • $100 is great! Actually I think on the higher side! For our wedding, we got checks for $25 and $35 for some people. I didn't think twice - I was just happy they were there. But my point is to show you that $100 is really generous!
    Married Sept. 2009 TTC #1 since Sept. 2010 BFP May 18, 2011 - Due date January 26, 2012 Baby Number One! BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker image image
  • You should spend what you can afford. Period. You don't give gifts with the expectation of getting the same back. That's just not the spirit of gift-giving. If $100 is what you can afford, great. If it's less or more, that's fine too. Uncles and aunts are older people that generally have more to their name and can afford larger gifts. I can't imagine they'd want you all to put yourselves out to make things "even." It was their choice to give you $300. Their choice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • $100 is great! Actually I think on the higher side! For our wedding, we got checks for $25 and $35 for some people. I didn't think twice - I was just happy they were there. But my point is to show you that $100 is really generous!
    Married Sept. 2009 TTC #1 since Sept. 2010 BFP May 18, 2011 - Due date January 26, 2012 Baby Number One! BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker image image
  • I think it also depends on how big your family is.  I have so many siblings, nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles, and various extended family that I personally think $50 would be going overboard for a cousin (but none of my cousins would spend that on me either).  You have to live within your means, girl- don't feel bad for reigning in your husband.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"