Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Birth Control Options

My big 6 week appt is tomorrow. What area ll the options out there? Mirena is what I'm thinking since I don't want another baby for awhile. NuvaRing was awful before DD #2. The pill makes me crazy. What else is there? Oh, and I'm BF.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birth Control Options

• Options

I'm also bfing.. I was on the fence when I went for my 6 week. I had tried just about every BC out there (ring, shot, patch, pill, mini pill) and everything I used made my chronic migraines worse and more frequent. I was curious about mirena.. I got the idea it was a pretty low hormone way to go. My OB agreed that it was probably a good idea for me and could always just take it out if I didn't like it. So far I have no complaints, and I've actually noticed a decrease in the frequency of my migraines. 

1ht 

• Options

Implanon (inserted into the arm), depo shot (do NOT rec), tubal :).

BTW, I'm originally from Stoneville, NC. Only a select few know where that craphole is.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lovesbup, I'm loving that diaper your LO is wearing!! Big Smile

OP, I'm considering either the nuvaring or the Mirena when I go to my 6 week pp check up on Thursday.  DH is getting a vasectomy & he has a doctor appointment on Wednesday to see his PCP & get a referral for the vasectomy.  But from what I understand with vasectomies is that it takes several months before all of the live swimmers are out of his system so to speak.  So I will still need something in the meantime.

One thing I do know is that I don't want to take a pill everyday.  I need something that is low maintenance because I am very absent minded & don't want to end up being knocked up again.  I will literally cry if I get pg again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelovesBup:

I'm also bfing.. I was on the fence when I went for my 6 week. I had tried just about every BC out there (ring, shot, patch, pill, mini pill) and everything I used made my chronic migraines worse and more frequent. I was curious about mirena.. I got the idea it was a pretty low hormone way to go. My OB agreed that it was probably a good idea for me and could always just take it out if I didn't like it. So far I have no complaints, and I've actually noticed a decrease in the frequency of my migraines. 

That's so good to know!  I am a chronic migraine sufferer too.  I had my mirena put in on Thursday, and I am so happy I did.  

I was looking for an option that would be more long-term and not something I had to do every day.  I failed at the pill, so I figured an IUD would be easier for me.  My doc gave me two choices, the mirena (which lasts 5 years) or one that lasts 10. I chose the mirena.  It wouldn't hurt to call your insurance and check to see what is covered, because my doc told me without insurance it is $900!!!! WHOA!   

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm on the mini pill. I can't do hormonal bc because I turn into a massive b!tch. I was leaning towards Mirena, but the commercial for it freaked me out. So far I'm happy with the mini pill.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

I have heard horrible things from so many people about the mirena. I got the Implanon a week ago and it was painless and so far everything is great. The doctors office said that they have had really great reviews of it as well, that people experience fewer side effects.

It also doesnt contain Estrogen so you can get it if you are breastfeeding!!!

I know several people who have Implanon, and thats why I chose it! People have said really good things!

• Options
    chicsubchicsub member
    I'm getting Paraguard next week (we're done with kids, but DH is being lame about a vasectomy for now).  I'm done with anything hormonal and on the off chance that I got pregnant with an IUD, I'd rather have the Paraguard vs. Mirena for the baby's sake.  Although I'm like you and would cry if I got pregnant again, I'm so done with the baby phase and knew it going into this pregnancy.
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    image1sTimeMom2Ella:

Implanon (inserted into the arm), depo shot (do NOT rec), tubal :).

BTW, I'm originally from Stoneville, NC. Only a select few know where that craphole is.

HAHA good ol' Stoneville. Theres absolutely nothing out there. I grew up in Madison, not much better! For now were in Reidsville, but I miss the city life!!

Thanks ladies. I need to research this Implanon before tomorrow. Something about the Mirena scares me but if I got pregnant again I think I'd cry & then just die pretty much.

My friend got pregnant after her DH had a vasectomy, right after the 6 week appt.!! whew. She cried for 9 months too lol 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    :Lurker:  Mirena is the best thing invented.  I have had one in for almost three years.  Rarely do I spot, don't have to remember to take the pill and the most important it has not affected my migraines.  I have no hormones symptoms from it.  I love it and they say it is easy to conceive when you have it removed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemagdalina.h:
    I'm on the mini pill. I can't do hormonal bc because I turn into a massive b!tch. I was leaning towards Mirena, but the commercial for it freaked me out. So far I'm happy with the mini pill.

Me too. I was extremely close to getting the Mirena, but I don't like the idea of having some device inside of me all of the time. Also I didn't like that it requires appointments for insertion and removal. I decided on the minipill because I'm BFing and if I don't like it I'll just stop it the next day and use condoms. By the way, usually the pill messes with me but this minipill seems to be okay so far in terms of my emotions!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"