2nd Trimester
Options

Do you consider yourself a mom?

I know some people consider themselves moms when they find out they are pregnant, while others don't feel it until they are holding theri baby in their arms. I would imagine most women consider themselves moms somewhere during the pregnancy.

If you do consider yourself a mom now, when did that moment happen for you?

If you already have a child, think back to your first pregnancy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you consider yourself a mom?

• Options
    When he started kicking me about 15-17 weeks I felt and considered myself a Mom.
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nope. i think i won't until i take her home and care for her by myself. but even then, i think it will take a while for it to sink in.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    once i found out she was a girl & I gave her a name, that's when i started connecting & feeling like a "mom". Because it was no longer, "it" or "the baby". She became MY daughter. She has a heartbeat & she's growing & i've been charged to make decisions that are in her best interests. I have to mentally, emotionally, physically, & financially prepare for her arrival. I worry about her, even things that are outside of my control. So what, i'm not holding her, or changing her diaper right now, but I'm still connected with her & if God forbid something were to happen to her, I'd mourn. If that's not being a mom, not sure what is...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kayak11kayak11 member
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no, lol! I feel like one when I feel my baby move around and react to me (kicks back when I poke at my stomach). I felt kinda weird when my MIL got me a present for Mother's Day....since I didn't really plan on celebrating my first one until next year when the baby is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

hhuumm I guess I do. I think I felt like a mommy when I was in a car accident and all I can think of was my baby and wanted to make sure everything was ok.

I was already protective of my LO. Also felt more real when we found out it we were having a boy and gave him a name :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

my mom explained it to me like this......you are a mother the minute you find out there is life inside of you.  you change your actions, your habits and your mind thinks differently, all for the better and for the sake of your child. 

i didn't believe her at first when i was preg. with DD but it is true.....you are all mothers already.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options
    Nope.  I haven't really done anything to "care" or "provide" for the baby other than giving it a home to grow in.  And really, if I had a virus or a parasite I'd be doing the same thing without considering myself a mom to the virus or parasite.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think I first felt like a "mom" at my first ultrasound. The first time I could see that LO moving around, it became real.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy, I felt very protective of my LO as soon as I saw him on the u/s; however I didn't consider myself a mom until I got to hold him in my arms.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    When I was pregnant with my first child last year, I didn't feel like a mom until he was born. This pregnancy, I feel much different. After losing my son, I felt like a mom again as soon as I became pregnant again.
  • Options

imagesweetbabyrahe:
    I think I first felt like a "mom" at my first ultrasound. The first time I could see that LO moving around, it became real.

I know you're a "mom" the second a little life is growing inside of you.  But this (above) is exactly how I felt.  I felt the baby move 1 day before the ultrasound although I still wasn't sure if it was the baby, and when I described it to the tech and told her the pulling sensation on my stomach, and seeing the baby move around as much as it was, she said, "I bet you any money what you felt was her doing a flip..."  The moment I saw that little body on that screen, and saw the baby's hand come up into the "hi there" sign, that's the moment I felt like a mom. 

• Options

imagemomack86:
    once i found out she was a girl & I gave her a name, that's when i started connecting & feeling like a "mom". Because it was no longer, "it" or "the baby". She became MY daughter. She has a heartbeat & she's growing & i've been charged to make decisions that are in her best interests. I have to mentally, emotionally, physically, & financially prepare for her arrival. I worry about her, even things that are outside of my control. So what, i'm not holding her, or changing her diaper right now, but I'm still connected with her & if God forbid something were to happen to her, I'd mourn. If that's not being a mom, not sure what is...

All of this Yes 

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's our first, and DH already considers me a mom.  I've just started feeling kicking and I heard the heartbeat at the last appt, so it's starting to sink in for me.  I think when I go for the big u/s at 20wks it'll be even more real (even though we're not finding out the sex).  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP 02/04/2011;EDD 10/14/2011;Induced due to pre-e 09/07/2011;Jack born 09/08/2011 Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image
  • Options

One day last week I woke up bleeding.  Before being pregnant my first thought would have been, "Oh my God, what is wrong with ME?"  That day it was. "Oh God, please let it be something wrong with me and not the baby!"  When we went to the doctor and found out I was passing a kidney stone, I had never been so thankful to see a healthy little person on the ultrasound. My exact words were "I can deal with a kidney stone as long as the baby is okay."  THAT was the moment I felt like a mom.

• Options
    When he was born.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Options
    I definitely felt responsible for a life from the moment I knew I was pregnant but not quite like a mom.  At 10.5 weeks we found out both my husband and I are carriers of CF giving her a 1 in 4 chance of having it.  That worry is only something a parent can describe.  I was trying to be calm about it but when people would talk to me about my "options" I never before had this feeling over overpowering protection and a fierceness to fight for her.  When we went to have the CVS done and I saw her for the first time and she was a full baby in there it was the final thing that just screamed I am a mom and this is my baby.  Now that she is kicking and moving around I feel an even bigger bond with her. 
  • Options

Yes. I don't go out to people and say "I am a mother." But my DH & I consider myself to be the Mom. I've already made a lot of sacrifices, like our mothers have made - taking good general care of myself, eating as healthy as possible, exercising, abstaining from drinking, going to the dr. regularly, etc. etc.... I darn well better be a Mom at this point! :)

The moment when I really felt like I was a Mom....was when I was about 13-14 weeks, and I tripped & fell flat on my face on the sidewalk. I was in shock at first, but when I got up (fortunately I didn't hurt baby or myself) - I just started tearing up, hoping to God that the baby was safe. I guess you can call that my first "Mom moment." 

• Options

Yes-maybe because friends and family spoiled me for mother's day :)  I think that it is even healthy to start considering yourself a mom while pregnant so that you can take seriously the responsibility of caring for the one inside of you.  No one else, at this point, can care for them but you!

• Options
    When I realized I was already making changes in my life and working to provide her with a safe and loving home I realized not only am I a mom, but a good one at that.
    Successful after 2 years tttc. Diagnosed with PCOS and Endometriosis. Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family BabyName Ticker
  • Options

imagemomack86:

This!!

• Options
    kim1989kim1989 member
    Its hard to believe still even with kicks that a baby is actually coming - so I wouldnt really consider myself a mum yet.
  • Options

imagemomack86:

This!  :)

• Options

Yes, I do.  I think the moment the line turned pink, I considered myself a mom.  But it really sunk in when I saw that tiny little heart beating away at 7 weeks.  I of course feel more and more like a mom everyday and I know I am making decisions that effect his well being everyday.  I'm already worrying like a mom!

What aggravates me is when others don't acknowledge this!  I and every woman is a mom the moment they find out!  I have a friend who recently lost a pregnancy and I made sure I wished her a happy mother's day because she is a mom, too.  Think about it, if someone's only child dies at the age of 10, would they suddenly stop being a mother?  NO!  Sorry, I have never suffered a miscarriage, but I struggled with infertility for years, so I am very passionate.  Not to mention the hormones currently surging through my body Smile!

• Options
    I think I kind of feel like a mom because everything I do now I think about the effects it's having or will have on my growing babe, but really I feel more like an incubation tank at the moment. On Mother's Day everyone kept telling me "happy Mother's Day, Mom to be!" but I didn't really consider it my first Mother's Day, I mean I haven't even felt the little Gummy Bear move yet. I think once we know what we are having and I feel him/her kicking and moving, then I'll feel like a mom officially. 
    Many blessings Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

ABSOLUTELY!

it feels a bit surreal, but when I chose to walk even though I am tired after working all day, OR to eat a single serving of Hagen Dazs, even though I want to eat a tub of it-- I am not doing it out of vanity, I am already trying to act responsibly in ways that will benefit my LO.  Yes, I am a mom, even if the rest of the world doesn't know quite yet!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"