Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Feelings on the Circus?

I took DS to his first Circus the other day & when I posted it to Facebook I got a comment "Why would you support cruelty to animals" I wrote back that I don't support animal cruelty I just wanted my son to experience a Circus cause it's just one of those childhood things..it just kind of annoyed me that I was judged when I was excited to take him because we DO love animals! I guess I didn't really think about what goes on during trainingSad

Will you be taking your LO to a Circus?

Re: Feelings on the Circus?

• mara005mara005 member
    I will not be taking DS to the circus, but I thinks it's very rude to comment like that on someones FB page.  You have the right to go to the circus with your LO and enjoy it and not have it tainted by someones comments.

"Love is what makes pain bearable." - I love you my Angels. 
    **All After a Loss Welcome**
    BFP #1: 6/25/09 EDD 2/13/10 @ 6 weeks- Saw HB @ 9 weeks - DS born 2/11/10 (39w5d)
    BFP #2: 2/20/13 EDD 11/4/13 - Saw HB 3/19/13 (7w2d) - MMC discovered 4/13/13 (10w5d) - Est. loss @ 9w3d - D&C 4/14/13
    BFP #3: 12/19/13 (4 w1d) EDD 8/27/14 - 1/1/14 discovered it was ectopic/ tube had burst/ had surgery to remove tube (@ 6 weeks)
    BFP #4: 9/10/14 (3w6d) EDD 5/21/15 - natural MC 9/23/14 @ 5w5d
    BFP #5: 11/23/14 (3w3d) EDD 8/4/15 - Please be our Rainbow!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Took the big girls 2 years ago.  Haven't gone again because of DH's schedule, but they come every year.
  • Loading the player...
  • I will not be taking them to the circus.
    image Preston 10/13/06 - Harrison 04/14/10
  • Nope, but I also think whoever posted that is an idiot.
  • meg1974meg1974 member
    I will not be taking DD to the circus b/c I don't support it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagefredalina:

i will take her to a no-animal circus.  Circus Vargas is one of several that recently went animal-free.  And of course Cirque de Soleil though that's a bit different.

And i totally agree that the comment was unnecessary and rude.

I haven't really put much thought to it but I like the idea of animal-free circuses.  When DD and future DS get older I'm definitely going to take them to a Cirque du Soleil show.  I love those shows!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have taken my niece to the circus. I haven't thought about taking the kids until they are older, but I would take them when I think they'll enjoy it. The onyl reason I wouldn't take them now is that my older DD gets scared around big noisy crowds.

• We took our LO to the circus.  I have mixed feelings.  On one hand I think the animal acts can be really neat and then at times I feel bad for the animals too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Absofvckinglutely not. 

I went to at least three circuses as a child: some no-name company, Ringling, and the Moscow Circus (in Moscow). I enjoyed them all, but I was too young to understand how the animals were treated and my parents didn't know better. I happen to be far more informed, so even though those "childhood things" were fun at the time, I will not be taking B. He'll get to go to Cirque du Soleil when he's old enough to sit still the entire time, and he'll be blown away. 

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

• Hell to the no. Never. And I openly judge people who do. I don't understand how some of you can read "cruelty to animals" in this thread and still glibly say "Yes, I'll take my kid! Yay! Circus!" ugh.
  • We might go to the circus.  I hadn't really thought about it.  The circus comes to the big arena here every year. 

I would have deleted that persons comment.  That's all, just deleted it.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imageToledoDeux:
    Hell to the no. Never. And I openly judge people who do. I don't understand how some of you can read "cruelty to animals" in this thread and still glibly say "Yes, I'll take my kid! Yay! Circus!" ugh.
    What would happen to the animals if no one went to a circus that already had animals trained?
  • imageScooter359:
    imageToledoDeux:
    Hell to the no. Never. And I openly judge people who do. I don't understand how some of you can read "cruelty to animals" in this thread and still glibly say "Yes, I'll take my kid! Yay! Circus!" ugh.
    What would happen to the animals if no one went to a circus that already had animals trained?
    Do you know how they train them?
  • I've taken my kid and would again.
  • imageScooter359:
    imageToledoDeux:

The animals can be put in a refuge or sanctuary where they could live out there lives rather peacefully actually.

I am a huge animal activist myself and I actually would be saddened and disgusted to see the animals doing monotonous tricks and having such conditions...moving around a lot and worked too much and such small living quarters. Even a zoo does better a treating animals I would think.

I myself have never been to the circus that I can remember and I just have no desire to take DD to one.

• MCC1010MCC1010 member

When he is older I probably will take him. I'm not going to take hime now when he won't notice the clowns or the acrobats.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemara005:
    I will not be taking DS to the circus, but I thinks it's very rude to comment like that on someones FB page.  You have the right to go to the circus with your LO and enjoy it and not have it tainted by someones comments.

This!  I could see the person maybe talking to you later if you brought it up again in person and saying "Hey I completely get you wanting to do this with your DS but did you know what happens behind the scenes to these animals?"  Making some random assinine comment on facebook isn't going to change someone's actions but informing them in a polite and respectful manner about the cruelty that takes place might. 

I get people being up in arms about circuses but I think they need to understand there are better ways to approach the subject than attacking some random mom on FB for taking her kid to a circus.  

And for the poster who says that if circuses stopped existing these animals would all end up in sancutaries happily living out the rest of their natural lives I call BS.  This would require huge amounts of funds/resources and space that often just aren't there in charitible organizations.  In reality what would happen is many of these animals would be killed because there would be no where to place them especially if they are past a viable breeding age, since most zoos want an active breeding population.  Currently what is paying for these animals to eat and live is them working. No circus = no money to feed them and put them in sanctuaries.  I agree circuses are cruel but I also think anyone who thinks it's all going to turn out rosie for the animals that are already a part of the system if the whole thing stops tomorrow is a bit naive.

• imageScooter359:
    imageToledoDeux:

Not sure if that's a simple inquiry or a defense as to why you'd go to the circus even when you understand the level of animal cruelty that is involved.  If it's a rationale - it's a horrible one.  That's like saying "Well, we might as well let the dog fighters keep their dogs and fight them because they've been trained and no one else will want them that way." 

To the OPer -  No, I will not be taking my kids to a circus.  I don't think they'll grow up and feel like some large gaping hole is missing from their childhood because they didn't go to the circus.  I went a few times as a kid and nothing about it stands out as particurarly fun and exciting.  When their friends are going and I have to tell them no, it will be a good opportunity to teach them values that are important to DH - treating animals humanely and standing behind what you believe in.

However, I would never go blasting someone on FB about their choice to go.  The circus was in my hometown this past week so I saw a lot of posts and pictures about it but I never said anything.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Nope. Will not take her to the circus - except maybe when she is older and can go to Cirque Du Soliel. Circus' are infamous for the cruel way they treat animals. I went to one as a little kid, and it was with a friend's family. My parents refused to ever take us for the same reason. I don't think there is a need for DD to go. She can go to the zoo, and carnivals, but not the circus.
  • imagenumeria11:

imagemara005:

This!  I could see the person maybe talking to you later if you brought it up again in person and saying "Hey I completely get you wanting to do this with your DS but did you know what happens behind the scenes to these animals?"  Making some random assinine comment on facebook isn't going to change someone's actions but informing them in a polite and respectful manner about the cruelty that takes place might. 

I get people being up in arms about circuses but I think they need to understand there are better ways to approach the subject than attacking some random mom on FB for taking her kid to a circus.  

And for the poster who says that if circuses stopped existing these animals would all end up in sancutaries happily living out the rest of their natural lives I call BS.  This would require huge amounts of funds/resources and space that often just aren't there in charitible organizations.  In reality what would happen is many of these animals would be killed because there would be no where to place them especially if they are past a viable breeding age, since most zoos want an active breeding population.  Currently what is paying for these animals to eat and live is them working. No circus = no money to feed them and put them in sanctuaries.  I agree circuses are cruel but I also think anyone who thinks it's all going to turn out rosie for the animals that are already a part of the system if the whole thing stops tomorrow is a bit naive.

Then I don't think you are aware of all the sanctuaries that exist to help rescued animals that are out there. All those places will do anything to get those animals out of cruelty situations and the entertainment business.

• Being judged for something like that is silly. However I am very anti-circus. I do think there is animal cruelty that goes on and I really don't like it. I went to a circus when I was a kid and it was just too bizzar for me. But if you or anyone else want to take your kid to the circus, by all means have fun! :)
  • I will ask you, when you have time, to please read the following posts to find more information.  Circus animal cruelty is well documented in court-submitted evidence, and every circus using animals has been cited for abuse (whether beating or living conditions).  I really, really want to raise awareness about this issue.  Going to circuses with animals truly does give money to an industry that maintains animal cruelty. (not all trainers are animal beaters; it is the industry itself that is the problem)

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/51939049.aspx

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/51946030.aspx

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My comment wasn't justification for going, because I find them pretty boring to be honest. But I am somewhat curious as to what the circus would choose to do with the animals, or if someone would have to step in a take them to a sanctuary, or zoo of some sort.
  • No circus for us. I agree it is hard when your kids love animals. I have the same issues with the zoo. I loved the zoo as a kid and I think DS will too. We will just have to choose carefully and hope we can make a choice of somewhere respectful of animals. Also teach DS that animals don't all live in zoos and that is the best for them in some conditions when they are hurt to be cared for both otherwise not normal.
  • How many of you anti- cirucus people eat meat? Do you know how those animals are treated? Not that I would ever take DS to the circus, but you guys all seem to have just picked a random animal welfare battle.
  • Oh an OP, you friend is rude. But now you know about how they treat the animals. What are you going to do next time?
  • imagechelsmat:
    How many of you anti- cirucus people eat meat? Do you know how those animals are treated? Not that I would ever take DS to the circus, but you guys all seem to have just picked a random animal welfare battle.

I eat meat, and we try to choose cruelty-free meats whenever possible.  But this is not always possible, and we still have to eat.  Small changes add up.

Nobody HAS to go to the circus.  This is a ridiculous comparison.

• No, I will never take him to the circus.
  • Thanks for the feedback. I will add that I did delete the comment because I didn't want to draw attention & have people chime in either agreeing with the poster or to tell him it was a sh*tty thing to say. When I replied to the poster I did it in a private mail.

No more Circus for us, especially after seeing Water for Elephants!

• imagechelsmat:
    How many of you anti- cirucus people eat meat? Do you know how those animals are treated? Not that I would ever take DS to the circus, but you guys all seem to have just picked a random animal welfare battle.

Sigh.  You realize that this is a weird generalization, right?  How do you know about the habits and lifestyles of anyone here?

I eat meat about twice a week.  There is such a thing as certified humane meat and humane treatment of animals whose meat gets eaten.  I am lucky enough to live in a place where I can locate these products.

Any other nonsense you want to spew?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageHeather R:

I eat meat about twice a week.  There is such a thing as certified humane meat and humane treatment of animals whose meat gets eaten.  I am lucky enough to live in a place where I can locate these products. 

I'm sorry, I have to say it - humane meat? Seriously. The animal is getting slaughtered to provide an unnecessary product to gluttonous consumers. There's nothing "humane" about it, regardless of whether the death is quick and "painless". It's a justification for eating meat because you want to. No human NEEDS to eat meat. 

That being said, eating meat and going to the circus are separate issues entirely. Would it be nice to live in a world where all humans were vegan and animal welfare advocates? Certainly. For now, I think the animals will take what they can get, and if that means people not going to the circus, then that's something. 

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

• We won't be taking Snuggle, but regardless, what they said was rude.

• DH is an animal rights activist (he is the one with the signs when you go to the circus lol) so no circus for us. Actually DD will be seeing Cirque de Soliel when she's older, they don't use animals and it is so much better than the old fashioned outdated ones anyways.
  • MegGaryMegGary member
    I won't be taking DD. Not a fan of their practices. I do think that was rude of whomever said that to you though. It wasn't their place. 
  • imagechelsmat:

I do eat meat but no CFO's. I buy free range happy cows and chickens (they are called that - happy cows and chickens). We eat a lot less as I pay 30.00/kg for the chicken and about 24.00/kg for the beef.  So meat is a treat and we consume alot less than the average family. I can know my meat lived a good life and was killed in ahumane way. What do you think it entails to get an elephant to comply with commands? Positive reinforcement cannot be relied upon when it is a 1000 pound plus animal. The tools they use to train elephants is akin to sticking a knife into their skin and digging it around. Please read this"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahout

• I will not be taking my son to the circus. However, the comment that one of your fb friends posted was really rude! I feel strongly against taking my own son to the circus but would never judge someone for taking their child.
  • Never to a animal circus nor will I ever let them go to one with anybody else. While not all circus treat animals badly supporting one supports all. They use electric shock  to train animals. How would you like someone sticking you with an electric shock to get you to clean your house or feed your kid. They are all wrong across the board. Also will not be taking my kids to places like sea world. Animals belong in the wild.
  • No, I will never take DS to a circus with animals. A human circus such as Cirque, sure.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • MegGaryMegGary member

imagechelsmat:

lol I was waiting for this argument to come up. Here's how I see it & why I've chosen this "random animal welfare battle." I'm a human being. Thus, the highest on the food chain. I know my place there. Therefor I eat meat. I do not, however, agree with torturing animals for the sole purpose of entertainment. I know I could get the same nutrients from other sources than meat. I choose not too. I enjoy meat as a source of food. I enjoy a hamburger over a tofu burger. So thats why I pick to not support a circus yet still eat meat.  

I do realize the food chain is relative & I'm an omnivoir (SP?) more so than just a carnivore.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"