Breastfeeding

breastfeeding after a year

My LO is 9 months, now, and I'm trying to decide whether to continue breastfeeding after a year, and if so, how exactly to do it. For those of you who have done this before, what did your LO's daily feeding schedule look like? I'm a working mom and have been pumping three times per day. I'm assuming most systematically drop the daytime nursing/bottles? Just confused re: what this looks like after one.

Re: breastfeeding after a year

• Well, I'm in the same boat you are.  I'd really like to hear some answers as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I only work 2 days a week in my office.  The other days I work at home.  Before 11 months we BFed at 6, 9, 2, and 7 with the occasional nursing once at night.  A little after 11 months I cut the 9am session and offered a sippy of milk.  Right before 1 year I stopped the 2pm session and stopped pumping at work.  I now nurse first thing in the am and before bed.  I offer milk or water the rest of the day. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I stopped pumping at work at 1 year.  I would nurse at wake up ~7am, 11am, 6:30pm and bedtime ~8:30pm (I work 12-6).  Around 14 months I dropped the 6:30 feeding and at 16 months I dropped the 11am session.  So now I'm only nursing 2x/day (sometimes 3 on the weekends), it is working well for us.
  • I plan to stop BF at 8 to 9 months, to me there is really no need after that, baby eats food now and it makes it easer for mommy to move on and not having to worry about it. you can just feed regular foods and go out to a girls night now, or date night with the honey! let grandma watch little one :) I really have a hard time with anything over a year making any since to me...

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker ~*~Pridebaby~*~
  • imagetpride06:

I plan to stop BF at 8 to 9 months, to me there is really no need after that

Well the reason most people go to a year instead of 8-9 months is because the baby still needs to be fed and its a lot easier to transition straight to cows milk instead of weaning at 8-9 months, giving formula for 3-4 months, and then transitioning to cows milk.

imagetpride06:

It makes it easer for mommy to move on and not having to worry about it. you can just feed regular foods and go out to a girls night now, or date night with the honey! let grandma watch little one :) I really have a hard time with anything over a year making any since to me...

You can still do all of this while BFing.

You should educate yourself on the benefits of BFing past 1 year before criticizing it. OP wasn't asking your opinion on it, she was looking for advice on how others do it.

• JJ1973JJ1973 member
    Thanks, guys. I think there are certainly benefits to breastfeeding after a year. As a working mom, I look forward to nursing LO in the AM and PM. I'm not sure how long I'll want to do it for, but I'll probably play it by ear. And tpride06 - breastfeeding was so much different than what I anticipated prior to having a baby...so your thoughts may change on this matter after you have your baby and get started. I've really enjoyed breastfeeding and have enjoyed quite a bit of freedom (including working full time, monthly date nights, drinks here and there, and anything else I want to do...I just pump so that LO can have bottles). Actually, once you're at it, anything else seems kind of weird at first.
  • imagetpride06:

I plan to stop BF at 8 to 9 months, to me there is really no need after that, baby eats food now and it makes it easer for mommy to move on and not having to worry about it. you can just feed regular foods and go out to a girls night now, or date night with the honey! let grandma watch little one :) I really have a hard time with anything over a year making any since to me...

Ha, this has to be MUD.  Who comes onto a breastfeeding board at 14 weeks pregnant to try and convince someone to stop breastfeeding?  Doesn't make much "since", does it?  Thanks, tpride, you were huge help.

Sorry OP, no advice but I'm keeping the info you got in mind as I would like to breastfeed past 1 year :) 

• so now i know why  lots of people stop using "thebump" because people are VERY rude. i wasnt trying to be. but ya'll are a bunch of bitchs to tell the truth
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker ~*~Pridebaby~*~
  • JJ1973JJ1973 member

imagetpride06:
    so now i know why  lots of people stop using "thebump" because people are VERY rude. i wasnt trying to be. but ya'll are a bunch of bitchs to tell the truth

Whoa, now...no big deal. I didn't think you were trying to be rude. I just thought you sounded like somebody who had not yet breastfed! Once you learn more about it and do it, you'll understand.

• imageJJ1973:

imagetpride06:
    so now i know why  lots of people stop using "thebump" because people are VERY rude. i wasnt trying to be. but ya'll are a bunch of bitchs to tell the truth

Whoa, now...no big deal. I didn't think you were trying to be rude. I just thought you sounded like somebody who had not yet breastfed! Once you learn more about it and do it, you'll understand.

Yes, please try to learn more about BFing before stating you will end bfing at 9 months.  We aren't trying to be rude to you.  Its just that you shouldn't give advice to someone about something you haven't yet done.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"