3rd Trimester
Options

Can dogs sense labor? kinda long

So I know that my dog definitely sensed that I was pregnant from the beginning.  He just started acting differently around me.  First he ALWAYS went to bed with my husband, who goes to bed before me because he gets up for work about 3-4 hours before me.  But when we found out the good news I noticed the dog would either stay downstairs by me until I went to bed or he would sleep at the top of the stairs between the two of our locations in the house.  All around the dog just became more protective of me.

Today, however, the dog has been acting even more weird around me.  We weren't home much today.  When we were, the dog was constantly by my side following me around.  Whenever I was standing in one place for awhile, he laid down on my feet until I moved from the spot.  Whenever I would sit down, he would either get on the couch with me and lean on me or put his head in my lap or sit on the floor with his head in my lap.  He basically just won't leave me alone.  So now I'm wondering if he knows something I don't.  Like that any moment now I'm going to go into labor or something.  I'm not having any regular contractions yet or anything.  The occasional BH once every few hours or so but that's it.  I'm not due for another 9 days but I was just wondering if anyone else had any indications of labor from their pets. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can dogs sense labor? kinda long

• Options

when i had my first my dog at the time slept right up against my stomach while i was having contractions all night

i started having contractions in the morning, and i was out walking most of the day. i can't remember exactly when/if she was hanging around me before i went to bed, but i do clearly remember her wrapped around my belly during the nighttime contractions, right up until i went to the hospital

that was unusual for her, she would either sleep somewhere else, or at my feet

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My pup has been acting strange for about the last week, too. I think dogs can sense things... She has to be touching me all the time it seems, and she'll growl if she hears our neighbors outside- something she NEVER use to do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 9-20-2010 EDD: 5-25-2011 DD #1 born: 5-23-2011
    BFP #2: 6-14-2012 EDD: 2-15-2013 MC: 6-19-2012 5w5d
    BFP #3: 7-18-2012 EDD: 3-26-2012

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dogs Definitely sense pregnancy. i have a friend that has a dog that will jump on anyone who walks in the door especially me. as soon as i became pregnant, she walked up and sniffed me then walked away.normally she woulda knocked me over. my dog on the other hand follows me thru the house, sleeps cuddled up to my belly and freaks out when i leave the house. normally she was a lazy dog that didnt care one way or another who came and went. as far as knowing when i go into labor, i havent crossed that bridge yet.
    image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    khopingkhoping member
    My dog will come up to my belly and take a big sniff.  I thought he knew something the other day as he was up on the couch which he never does anymore as he is 11 and has a hard time getting up there.  But he got up on the couch and laid his head in my lap.  But nothing has happened.Wink yet
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's not just dogs...cats are pretty perceptive, too. Our cat never had much to do with me until I found out I was pregnant. At that point, she decided she needed to sleep against my belly every night. With my first pregnancy, the night I went into labor, I was in serious denial. DH had gone to bed, and I was up pacing, looking up labor info. on the computer, and just not believing it was happening. I didn't want to wake up DH and have it be a false alarm. Instead, the cat (not the same as with this pregnancy) jumped on DH in bed and walked around him and his face until he woke up, like she was getting him for me. I know it's not scientific, but it's sweet to think your pets are so perceptive of your needs, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have been asking this same question. I'm still not sure though. What I do know is that my 7 year old Great Dane went into a false pregnancy back in December. I got so scared when I thought she was pregnant. She has never been around a male so I was thinking that maybe one was getting into my fence. I noticed that she had gained a lot of weight and one morning I woke up and noticed that she looked as though she needed to be wearing a B cup. Smile She also wouldn't stay out from under my feet. Twice in one week I caught her in my bed. (She is not allowed on furniture so this was strange).

Anyhow I took her to the vet and he said that she was detecting my pregnancy and expieriencing a false pregnancy of her own. She had milk and everything.

Now I am kinda waiting for her to let me know that I am going into labor. Its all a little strange and sweet.

• Options
    imagesherah1282:

I have been asking this same question. I'm still not sure though. What I do know is that my 7 year old Great Dane went into a false pregnancy back in December. I got so scared when I thought she was pregnant. She has never been around a male so I was thinking that maybe one was getting into my fence. I noticed that she had gained a lot of weight and one morning I woke up and noticed that she looked as though she needed to be wearing a B cup. Smile She also wouldn't stay out from under my feet. Twice in one week I caught her in my bed. (She is not allowed on furniture so this was strange).

Anyhow I took her to the vet and he said that she was detecting my pregnancy and expieriencing a false pregnancy of her own. She had milk and everything.

Now I am kinda waiting for her to let me know that I am going into labor. Its all a little strange and sweet.

That is the Coolest and most weird thing I have ever heard!!! I was just asking my husband the other day if he thought one of our dogs, Lillie was pregnant. She and my other dog Angel are unfixed and have always been on top of me even when I wasn't pregnant, but Lillie now more so.  I haven't noticed any milk though in her nipples, but I will definitely keep an eye out for that!!

As for my own animals, I have two dogs (as pp) and two cats.  One cat is more like a dog anyway because she was always on top of me, but now its like whenever I sit, Abbie is across my lap and her paw is on my stomach as if waiting for the baby to kick.  Which is so weird because she does in fact react to my cat's obnoxious purr! As for labor, I will be watching for my animals to give me any hints and I will report back!! oxoxo

Amanda

Grow. Up.
    RME
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"