2nd Trimester

Registry & Must Have's?

Just wondering when did you start your registry? DH and I plan to check out BuyBuy Baby just to get an idea of what we want for our registry.

I've heard it's not good to register to early because things become out of stock or discontiued. So not sure when I should start my list.

Also do you know where I can print a list of "must have" for your registry. I have found a few online but seem like it's to much or missing a lot. Or maybe moms that already have had babies can tell me the definitly must have's.

TIA :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Registry & Must Have's?

• If you're going to Buy Buy Baby, they will have a list of recommended items. You can take some of them with a grain of salt (baby wipe warmer, for example)--what you don't necessarily need can be gleaned from common sense.

I registered at BBB and I would highly recommend making an appointment and going around with a staff member. They're extremely helpful, know their stuff, and in some cases, even told me "You do not really need this" or "You can get something similar at the container store for cheaper."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I learned the hard way about registering to early. Not only were my items out of stock, the prices have changed.  We registered at 4 months.
  • Loading the player...
  • My best advice is take a mom friend that already has kids, or show them your registry later.

They will try to sell you many things you don't need and/or you can get cheaper other places.  

Basically a baby needs a place to sleep, a way to eat, some diapers, some clothes and a carseat.  The rest is really all just 'extra'....extras are wonderful and will make your life easier, but they really are just 'extra'.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I would start registering now,  It's not like when you got married where you know what you need/want, its VERY overwhelming.  I had to go back a few times.  I also suggest bringing a relative who recently had kids or a good friend to help guide you on the things you actually need.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • megs68megs68 member

Definitely don't start too early, there's nothing more frustrating than trying to buy a gift for someone and the stuff has all been discontinued.

I can tell you what I use as a mom but everyone is SO different.  My sister insisted I get lap pads and all these cloth diapers, b/c her kids had a lot of spitup problems, but I never used them.

Here's what I used a lot: swing, breastpump, lots bottles for when I went back to work and pumped (used Advent, didn't like Dr Browns-too many parts), the Miracle blanket (swaddler), lots of 0-3 month sleepers w/feet, travel system, bouncer seat, play mat, JJ Cole Bundle Me, warm hats (I had a Dec baby), Fisher Price space saver high chair, diaper bag, car seat toys that dangled down, a big mirror for the car to see baby (not those little dinky ones, we bought those and they were awful), floppy shopping cart cover (again, a big cushy one, not a dinky one - make sure it covers the entire seat of the cart to protect their heads from the metal), baby bath towels & washclothes, a baby bath

Didn't use: pacifiers, Itzbeen timer, all the mattress pads and spare sheets and sheet protectors (DS hardly ever leaked through his diaper), non-sleeper 0-3 month clothes, bumbo (used somewhat, but not much), wipe warmer, infant bibs (he wasn't a spitter and didn't need bibs until he started eating food at 6mos)

Even though it seems like 6 months is a LONG ways off, I'd also consider things you'll need when they get a little older - bath toys, sippy cups, baby spoons and bowls, bibs, etc.  

But like I said, everyone is different, so you never know what you'll like and use.  I'm sure my list may be completely opposite of someone else's!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most of the big baby stuff won't be an issue (car seats, strollers, etc). While they are always changing and updating patterns, if you register now... I don't think you'll run into an issue. The big problem is registering for things like baby clothes. They are constantly updating and changing these items (at least at BRU), plus, if your shower guests are anything like mine, they'll want to pick out some of this stuff on their own - a lot of people like to put a little of their personality into what they buy.

As far as what to put on your registry, I'd stick to the basics (car seat, pack n play, a bouncy seat, baby carrier, diaper bag, breast pump - if you're nursing, bottles, burp cloths, a tummy time mat, etc). I'd avoid getting into a lot of teething toys and stuff because people will pick these up on their own as well and when guests are staring at a whole wall of teethers and trying to match descriptions, it gets to be nearly impossible some times. 

I'd be hesitant to really fall into too much of the "must have" lists that stores will give you. They'll tell you have HAVE to have things like an exosaucer, baby swing, and other larger (big dollar) items that your baby could end up hating. I registered for (and received) pretty much everything the store told me I had to have and I ended up getting rid of more than half of it after a couple of months because it was just taking up space. If you feel like you need more big-ticket items, consider looking at a car seat for after the infant seat (many babies outgrow those quickly), a potty, etc. Think about what you might need beyond the infant stage (sippy cups, a baby food maker - if you plan to do that, baby utensils, etc) - having that stuff and storing it for a couple of months sure beats having to spend a fortune in the year following birth. 

Final word of advice (and not to sound like a know it all) - but I'd think twice about a travel system. They are huge and bulky and pretty much all suck. Everyone I know with a kid told me they never used their travel system stroller - or used it and hated it. I got rid of mine after 2 months and replaced it with one of those jogging-style strollers. They might not match the car seat, but many are compatible with different brand infant seats and they are much better at different terrains (trips through grass at a park, twisting through racks at stores, jumping curbs in cities, etc). 

Good luck! 

• Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Baby Bargains book! Made me feel so much more confident while registering. I would have been lost without it!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tara415Tara415 member
    imageLaComtesse:

If you're going to Buy Buy Baby, they will have a list of recommended items. You can take some of them with a grain of salt (baby wipe warmer, for example)--what you don't necessarily need can be gleaned from common sense.

I registered at BBB and I would highly recommend making an appointment and going around with a staff member. They're extremely helpful, know their stuff, and in some cases, even told me "You do not really need this" or "You can get something similar at the container store for cheaper."

THIS. BBB is the best.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Coastal Living Mom Blog: http://thecoastallivingmom.wordpress.com/
  • I started this past week. I went to Buy Buy Baby and Babies r us. Both places gave me lists of the recommended items although you will see when you get the list there are some things you dont really need/want. Its still nice though if your a first time( I am) because I really didnt know or would not have remembered some of the items. I started simply for the fact because I live so far from home due to military and we dont have those places near us. Ive also heard about things being discontinued but Im not really worried about it if it discontinues I'll just look for something else..besides the big things like cribs, carseats..I put two down for now until I know the sex but Im not gonna stress myself thinking what if it gets discontinued. I rather start it now so Im not overwhelmed later on. Well good luck :)
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree about bringing a mom friend.  I just did not need half of the stuff I registered for.  I don't have a must have list but if I had known the following, I would have saved a ton of money!

Swaddles - make sure your LO likes the one you register for.  We had 3+ SwaddleMes and didn't use them but the Miracle Blanket was a life saver.

Bumbo/BebePod - we used this when DS first learned to eat.  Used it less than 5 times, total waste of money for us.

Breastpump - Don't open until you're producing milk!  DS was a preemie and my milk never came in.  I had to rent a hospital grade pump anyway and had opened and used a $200 pump.

Bottle warmer/wipes warmer - we never used it and DS never missed it.  One of my friends said their baby couldn't function without the warmers once they got used to it.

Bottlees - wait to buy lots of bottles until you know what bottles baby will take. We went through 3 or 4 different bottles before we found "the ones"

Bassinet - we used the PNP and crib all of the time, after 2 weeks (or less) DS wouldn't sleep in a bassinett, luckily we borrowed one and didnt buy it

BabyFruit Ticker
  • SFL

David "BD" 2/8/07 Spencer 9/12/11
  • See, and we used our Bumbo constantly. It is one of my most recommended items! We also did not use spit up rags, lap pads, etc. I just gave a bunch to one of my friends and I still have enough for our new LO should we need them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • thanks ladies for the tips. Dh and I went yesterday and it was sssoooo overwhelming. Out of 70 things we scanned I probably really liked half. But atleast I ahve time to remove and add things as I think of stuff.

So MANY things WOW!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"