2nd Trimester

xp: doctor made me feel like a big, fat fatty

i went in for a check-up this week.  i really don't like this doctor and will be changing soon, thankfully.  the last time i saw her, she told me my pg might be ectopic or i might be having a miscarriage (so i'm already a little biased against her).  i'm 15 weeks and have gained 10 lbs so far.  my first trimester was kinda heinous - barely had enough energy to lay on the couch at night after work, and with my food aversions, the only thing i could stomach was frozen pizza.  so yeah, i was gonna gain a little more weight than i should have.  but i do have to say that the weight i've gained is all boobs and belly.  it's not in my face, my arms or legs, my back, nowhere else.

well, she tells me that gaining so much so early on is predisposing my baby to childhood obesity and diabetes.  she wants me to gain 25 lbs total because i'm only 5'3", and if you do the math, at this rate, i'll gain 27 lbs total.  she just made me feel like i'm not doing the right things for my baby and that i'm huge (i'm actually perfectly okay with gaining pg weight, but being someone who was anorexic at one point, i don't like being made to feel fat).  i told her i'm eating fruits & vegies every day now and actually getting some activity.  but she just kept harping on how my baby will be born with a chili dog in one hand and a cigar in the other (ok, maybe not her exact words).

has anyone else had a similar weight gain and doesn't feel like they're absolutely obese?
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: xp: doctor made me feel like a big, fat fatty

• Can I ask how much you weighed pre-pg? For people who started at a 'normal' BMI, the rec is 25-35lb. If you were overweight, then they rec a bit less. I just ask because if you were like 120 before you got pregnant, I can't see why they would limit your gain to the low end of the range (but some doctors differ on this and are more strict).

I gained 7.5lb by 14 weeks and I was a little horrified, b/c I knew that baby only weighed a few ounces (if that!) and that gain was all me. I'm also 5'3-5'4 and pretty small usually. The doctor I saw was super nice about it and said that the gain was totally fine. And that gain was WITH me continuing to go to the gym 5-6 days a week-- though my diet wasn't the best, lots of cravings!

Seems like some people gain more early, others gain more late, etc. I would just try to make good choices but I think it's largely out of our hands.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• i was about 135 pre-pg.  i'm curvy but not overweight, already a d-cup pre-pg and a size 6.  so i'm pretty normal.  oh that was the other thing she said: that i was a "relatively normal weight" before i got pg.  i really don't like this woman...
  • Loading the player...
  • acaveracaver member

I'm sorry she made you feel like that.   It sounds like you are aware that you were eating badly, but that it was all you could stomach.  Much better to have eaten the pizza and gained a little extra weight than to not have eaten anything!  It also sounds like you're back on track now.

I haven't really gained any weight, but I was overweight to begin with, so dr, said my body is probably just redistributing the extra weight I had.  Everyone is different and gains differently.  Just make sure you eat healthy when you can and try not to feel guilt on the days you might indulge a little too much.  If you don't think you and your doctor get along well, then it might be worthwile to switch or at least think about it.

• Well, my doctor hasn't said anything about my weight gain, other than its fine, but I was told to gain btwn 15-25 lbs based on the BMI which for me is probably not going to happen. I'm an athlete and have always had a higher BMI because I have a lot of muscle mass and larger bone structure than many women, but I'm not fat by any means... I also gained 15 lbs by 15 wks, since the first tri, I have been watching what I eat and working out, and I'm still up 22 lbs at 24 weeks. It's all belly and boobs... Idk where else it would be because I still fit exactly the same in my clothes except for my belly and boobs... All I can say is, your body is going to do what it needs to do. I figured i'd have a big baby (DH was 10 lbs and I was 8) and I've measured ahead at all of my apts and even my MW told me he feels big when she felt my abdomen. So I just attribute it to the fact that I've got a big healthy boy growing in there, and if I eat well, and exercise, I can't do anything else about the weight gain. As long as I have a healthy baby I'm ok with it...
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageacaver:
    If you don't think you and your doctor get along well, then it might be worthwile to switch or at least think about it.

this woman was the doctor i was assigned while my regular ob (who i was assigned) is on maternity leave. i have to see this woman next week for my colposcopy but never again after that.  in june, i'll see a perinatologist for the anatomy/dating scan and then the other one should be back in july.

• acaveracaver member
    imagesleepingbeauty:

imageacaver:
    If you don't think you and your doctor get along well, then it might be worthwile to switch or at least think about it.

this woman was the doctor i was assigned while my regular ob (who i was assigned) is on maternity leave. i have to see this woman next week for my colposcopy but never again after that.  in june, i'll see a perinatologist for the anatomy/dating scan and then the other one should be back in july.

Good!  I couldn't imagine going through all this with someone I didn't like or made me feel bad!

• imagesleepingbeauty:
    i was about 135 pre-pg.  i'm curvy but not overweight, already a d-cup pre-pg and a size 6.  so i'm pretty normal.  oh that was the other thing she said: that i was a "relatively normal weight" before i got pg.  i really don't like this woman...

I'm the same height as you and started at 185.  This doc would have a conniption fit if she saw me.  My midwife is great and understands that not all women are twigs and that doesn't mean we aren't healthy.

When your regular doc comes back, I would tell him you do not want to see her again if he takes another vacation.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My OB is very strict on weight gain as well... I was 5'6" pre-pg, 130 lbs and she told me to only gain 20 lbs total... so far I am on course to meet that.  However, I have been exercising 5-6 times per week.  Without exercise, I doubt I would be able to stay within her strict guidelines.
  • I'm 14 weeks and up 18lbs already. This is my first pregnancy and 'm 5'6 and was 127 pre-pregnancy. My doctor doesn't have a problem with it, I think as long as your blood pressure isn't high you should be fine. I also think only gaining 25lbs is unrealistic. I didn't throw up at all during my pregnancy but I was still nauseous so I had to eat carbs and other stuff that didn't make me as nauseos.

My sister was 125 pre-pregnancy and ended up weighing 185 at the end of her pregnancy. She lost all the weight within about 6 months after giving birth. At first I was nervous about constantly gaiing because i've never seen the 130's in my life... but I decided to just enjoy the pregnancy and everything that comes along with it.

But shame on the doctor for making you feel that way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most doctors will comment on weight gain that early on.  The 25-35 lbs tend to start packing on in early 3rd tri, really.  She might be trying to scare you into a better diet so the gain doesn't escalate.

I gained a bit less than you (also shorter, and weighed less beforehand), and my OB whom I adore told me to try and exercise more/eat healthier.  By the end I gained 37 lbs, and for someone so small, even though it was all in the belly, I wanted to die because it is a lot of weight to carry when you are petite.

You don't seem to like her and she could have a nicer bedside manner, but I wouldn't let that predispose you to not listen to her advice.

Gaining 25 - 35 is completely realistic, just keep in mind that you really start gaining weight in 3rd tri.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • RC31604RC31604 member
    I just had that happen to me yesterday at what was supposed to be my anatomy scan.  My midwife told me that I was obese to begin with and also because i'm so heavy I would not get a good view of the baby in the u/s.  I have only gained 3 pounds.  I am 5'7 and was about 220 pre pregnancy.  Yes I am a little on the bigger side, I know that.  But for her to say that was just plain rude.  I could not believe that she said that.  My husband was about ready to get out of his chair and clothesline her to the floor.  When I proceeded to tell her that we were supposed to have the anatomy scan she told me no.  I am going to send a complaint about her and possibly switch to a different doc's office all together.  Ugh.  It's amazing how rude some people are.
  • I'm 17 weeks and have gained 10 lbs. I'm already overweight, so I know I need to be careful. My doctor has not said anything yet....I've 2 ultrasounds and they could see just fine. It's amazing how doctors vary, but you shouldn't be made to feel bad about yourself.
    Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • I can totally relate!!! Not only did my doctor make me feel like a fatty, she made me feel like i had all kinds of crazy problems!!

I hardly gained any weight at all through my first and most of my 2nd trimester, when all of a sudden it looked like my weight shot up 15 lbs in 4 weeks. My doctor threw me into a total panic. She went through every last worst case scenario before i left that appointment... I might be making too much amniotic fluid, might be diabetic, etc etc, sent me for an ultrasound and had me do my gestational diabetes testing like the day i turned 26 weeks, and i have to make her a food diary. On a normal basis, I eat pretty healthy, with the occasional cave to a craving, and i try to walk or do a prenatal work out at least 4-5 times a week. I follow up with her this Friday and im interested to know how she reacts to the fact that i have lost 8 lbs since 2 weeks ago...

I figure she was trying to scare me into being more careful before i head into the final stretch? She is very VERY by the book... as an older woman who has never had any kids, she really only has the book to go by. Not personal experience. None the less, shes very smart, answers all of my questions, and i do trust her to run through all posibilities, no matter how much i might not want to hear it.  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"