3rd Trimester
Options

Bottles = Obesity???

Has anyone heard about this? The news was reporting that a study or some studies have linked children who are still drinking from bottles at age two are at a higher risk for childhood and adult obesity....anyone know about the accuracy of this or the actual risk???

I have no clue what study they are talking about or anything about it... I thought it was suggested that you breastfeed for 2 years--how is that different from bottle feeding for two years whether it's pumped breastmilk or formula??

NOTE: This post is not about whether or not it is healthier to BF or FF, just about the study findings and related thoughts...

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket

Re: Bottles = Obesity???

• Options
    I've never heard of this but it makes sense somewhat if you think about it.  I mean absolutely no offense by this, but I think it's a reflection on lifestyle if a child is still being bottle fed at the age of two.  That lifestyle can sometimes be a sign of laziness when it comes to nutrition and diet and using the bottle (food) to soothe the toddler.  This could set the LO up for bad eating habits in the future.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't understand why you would be giving your child a bottle still at age 2. When my son was 2 he could drink from a real cup with supervision or a sippy cup. He was also drinking whole milk, not breastmilk or formula. 

Photobucket
    Landon & Porter
    1-10-07 & 5-11-11
  • Options
    kxp004kxp004 member

imageluvnunity:
    I've never heard of this but it makes sense somewhat if you think about it.  I mean absolutely no offense by this, but I think it's a reflection on lifestyle if a child is still being bottle fed at the age of two.  That lifestyle can sometimes be a sign of laziness when it comes to nutrition and diet and using the bottle (food) to soothe the toddler.  This could set the LO up for bad eating habits in the future.

Ok I get what you're saying, but let's say change the bolded word to BF and leave the rest of everything you said the same... would that change the obseity part of the equation? or is it JUST BOTTLE FEEDING? and then what if you use breast milk instead of formula??.....just curious...

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    imagekxp004:

imageluvnunity:

Ok I get what you're saying, but let's say change the bolded word to BF and leave the rest of everything you said the same... would that change the obseity part of the equation? or is it JUST BOTTLE FEEDING? and then what if you use breast milk instead of formula??.....just curious...

I guess I would say that bottle is the operative word regardless the content.  At two, a toddler should be learning table manners and eating with utensils, drinking out of cups and having a big boy/girl nighttime routine.  There really is no reason a child that old would be given a bottle any time of the day besides the parents using it as a pacifier.

• Options
    I haven't heard of this but I'm not sure who still gives bottles to their little one's at age two. My son was off the bottle completely at about 14 months and that's just because he was picky with sippy cups.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I just read this today and my understanding is it's feeding the baby before bed and bottles as a combination that they are blaming for obesity after 6 months I believe it was. It was on msnbc I do believe. Sorry I can't help more.
  • Options
    This might be completely random...but Suri Cruise drinks from a bottle and shes 4. Shame on you Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes! I saw that in a magazine the other day and just thought I'd share :D
    JennaRosaliePhotography.com | Facebook.com/JennaRosaliePhotography
  • Options
    imageluvnunity:
    imagekxp004:

imageluvnunity:

I guess I would say that bottle is the operative word regardless the content.  At two, a toddler should be learning table manners and eating with utensils, drinking out of cups and having a big boy/girl nighttime routine.  There really is no reason a child that old would be given a bottle any time of the day besides the parents using it as a pacifier.

Sorry, butting in here I know.  I just wanted to add another perspective to this.  It really has nothing to do with the obesity part of this thread, just in reference to the bolded part above.  My son has a feeding tube because he has a genetic condition that makes him severely allergic to 95% of food.  Because of the pain eating has caused him in the past, he also has a severe oral aversion.  So, even though he is nearing two years old, he still gets a bottle whenever he is willing to take it.  If he isn't willing, his specialized formula goes in his feeding tube.

I am not being snarky in anyway.  I just wanted to point out that there are a lot of reasons that older toddlers may still have bottles.  I have been judged, and not too nicely, many times out in public because of this.  I only hope to shed another light onto this to maybe save another mother of a special needs child from judgement as well. 

Sorry this turned into a novel.  Also, I am not naive enough to think that it is never for the reason bolded above, just that it isn't always the case.  Okay, I will butt back out now. Wink

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've heard this.  The reasoning I heard was that when a child eats from the breast he determines when he is full opposed to momma making him finish his bottle. And because of the extra effort to breastfeed baby learns to eat when he actually hungry and stop when he's full.  I have not heard anything about pumping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageAngel0423:
    I've heard this.  The reasoning I heard was that when a child eats from the breast he determines when he is full opposed to momma making him finish his bottle. And because of the extra effort to breastfeed baby learns to eat when he actually hungry and stop when he's full.  I have not heard anything about pumping.

this.

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

My DS ate formula out of a bottle (BFing fail after 2 months) and is a skinny little thing...but tall.  I can say that my cousin's baby who was exclusivly BF...no bottles...is the chubbiest little kid I have ever seen.  He has been in toddler sizes since he was 7 months old!

And DS was weaned off the bottle by 9 months.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    There is an article on it right now on aol.com news. It basically says that at two the child gets his nutrients from regular food and milk/formula is basically extra calories. Milk itself is pretty fattening so it's not a good idea for kids to consume extra empty calories.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

From what I could gather they are talking about feeding children formula/milk/or any drink with calories in it - euphemistically calling it 'bottle feeding'. And the study mentions the issue of 'overfeeding' a child - in other words any bottle with calorie content given at night is likely to lead to 'overfeeding' the child.

I know a lot of parents think that it will make their kids sleep better at night by loading them up with formula/milk -- but it has two major negative effects -- messes up their teeth (sugar and also softening the teeth because children often fall asleep with milk in their mouths - https://www.thenewparentsguide.com/article-your-babys-teeth.htm) and also leads to being obese. They should be getting most of their calories from being weened at this time and if you give them tons of milk and formula they don't have room in their bellies for food. By age 2 they can switch from full fat milk to lower fat percentages without being an issue to their diet.

As to the breastfeeding vs bottle - you are likely to be weaning at this point as well so the amount of breast milk you are producing is going down. Human milk vs cows milk (and formula) has different make up - fat and sugar contents are hugely different and one is designed to be digested by our systems vs the other which we acclimatise ourselves to being able to digest.  

If it is a question of being thirsty there is nothing wrong with giving them some water in a bottle - the study touches on the fact that we tend to put calorie content in the bottles.

I don't think there is any justification for giving them juice except as a treat - and then only if no sugar is added and only as a treat. If you look at the number of empty calories that we North Americans consume via beverages it is the most logical place to start to cut out excess calories and chemicals. I personally struggle to get enough water in my diet (which is a habit I have from childhood where we never drank water but ALWAYS had juice or milk - as was the custom for most everyone at the time) and wanted to be sure with my kids that they wouldn't have that problem. It is great - we all drink water together. 

• Options
    Chilz08Chilz08 member
    imageAngel0423:
    I've heard this.? The reasoning I heard was that when a child eats from the breast he determines when he is full opposed to momma making him finish his bottle.?And because of the extra effort to breastfeed baby learns to eat when he actually hungry and stop when he's full.? I have not heard anything about pumping.
    This.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"