Natural Birth

Interested in Natural Birth - reading suggestions?

I really want a natural birth, and want to get as much information as I can beforehand. I know I am really early, but I like being prepared :)  What did you find most helpful, and what would you suggest as reading?  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Interested in Natural Birth - reading suggestions?

• I'm enjoying Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. 

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• The thinking woman's guide to a better birth - Henci Goer
  • Loading the player...
  • I second Ina May's book.  I also liked "Hypnobirthing the Mongan Method."  I did hypnobirthing and loved it!  There have also been a lot of success stories from moms who used Bradley, so you might look into taking a class.  "The Business of Being Born" is a great documentary to see (it's live streaming on netflix).   

• I love natural childbirth the bradley way. I got it from the library (along with several other natural birth books) and ended up buying it because I want to keep looking back at it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• abell77abell77 member

Natural Birth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon

Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also have loved Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and have heard good things and am excited to read her newer one "Birth Matters"

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ina May Gaskin's books are good.

I also liked Special Delivery by Rahima Baldwin

I just finished Pushed by Jennifer Block.  That one can be a bit more disturbing in that it presents the cold hard facts of how hospital births generally go.  I did find it incredibly informative though and I do think it is a good read.

I read Bradley's book.  the one he wrote, not the other one that other's posted.  It's okay, nothing too exciting.

I also skimmed Active Birth.  It was okay, but it didn't really interest me all that much.

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • CTri17CTri17 member

imageTigerlilym15:
    I love natural childbirth the bradley way. !

Yes

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• KrisM86KrisM86 member
    "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and "Birth Matters" - both by Ina May Gaskin. I loved them and found them super informative and encouraging. I also liked "Your Best Birth" by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I will confess that I hated Ina May's book. I just could not get into it at all.

"The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin is great. "The Birth Book" by Sears was okay, but a bit dated. I've got the most recent Lamaze book now - we'll see if I get around to reading it. 

• Birthing From Within by Pam England

The Orgasmic Birth (can't remember author)

I LOVED Birthing From Within... :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBlinkingLight1:
    The thinking woman's guide to a better birth - Henci Goer

I second this.

imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• I have read a few books as I am also planning to have a natural childbirth in a hospital. I have heard wonders about the hypnobabies course- you purchase it online (amazon seems to have the best deal) I am also on a yahoo groups for natural birth and there are lots of resources on there. https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hypnobabies/

As far as books go- I have read or am reading the following

Natural Hospital Birth

Birthing from Within

Hypnobirthing

Husband Coached Childbirth

Nursing Mothers Companion

What to Expect when Expecting

What to Expect the First Year

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth 

Everything Parents Guide to Vaccines

I have also read various online books in pdf format (some of which I found through the yahoo group)

Hope that helps a little!

• imagejaymiegerard:

Birthing From Within by Pam England

The Orgasmic Birth (can't remember author)

I LOVED Birthing From Within... :-)

I second Birthing form Within

• imagesschwege:

I second Ina May's book.  I also liked "Hypnobirthing the Mongan Method."  I did hypnobirthing and loved it!  There have also been a lot of success stories from moms who used Bradley, so you might look into taking a class.  "The Business of Being Born" is a great documentary to see (it's live streaming on netflix).   

This exactly!  I LOVED hypnobirthing, learned some beneficial things from reading the Bradley Method as well, and felt really pumped to do a natural birth after watching the Business of Being Born. 

• imagesschwege:

I second Ina May's book.  I also liked "Hypnobirthing the Mongan Method."  I did hypnobirthing and loved it!  There have also been a lot of success stories from moms who used Bradley, so you might look into taking a class.  "The Business of Being Born" is a great documentary to see (it's live streaming on netflix).   

I also read Hypnobirthing and thought it was great. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"