Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Can I hear from some Moms of peanuts?

DD fell to the 3rd % at her 4 mo appt yesterday. Sad  I don't have a lot of faith in the weight that was taken.  It was an old school mechanical scale (not their usual one) that DD barely even fit on.  Her legs were dangling and she was screaming and thrashing so the scale kept moving and the nurse just took a guess.  However, I know the most she probably weighs considering all that is about 11 lbs.  They recorded her at 10 lbs 11 oz. 

We have to go back in 2 weeks for a weight check but the pedi didn't tell me to supplement or anything, just wants to track it more closely.  She's ebf, STTN, has plenty of wet diapers, poops twice a day (a good amount). easily goes 3 hours between meals (I don't let her go much longer though during the day), is not frustrated while eating or fussy. 

How are your peanuts doing?  Do you think there's a problem or are they just little and slow gainers?  DD was 7 lbs 5 oz at birth and I'm kind of a peanut myself (5'3" 110 lbs pre-preg).  I'm just feeling a bit insecure right now and could use some encouragement. Embarrassed

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Re: Can I hear from some Moms of peanuts?

• My DD now 2 and a 1/2 is 0% always has been and probably always will be. They dont plan on her being taller then 4 11. My and DH are short. When she was little I was worried but pedi said as long as she continues to gain and grow even if it is on her own scale (she was below all the charts) she was fine. Until the spring my 2 year old was wearing 12 month clothes. I feel your pain but I am sure your DD is fine
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sounds like did not, in fact, get an accurate weight.

Do you have a scale at home that measures to the ounce? Once in a while I step on that to get an idea of DS's weight. 

Some of our babies come from tiny mamas. Nothing wrong with this Big Smile

• Loading the player...
  • DS has never been above the 5th percentile.  When he went to school for his first day of first grade, a teacher thought he was a Pre-K student.  He is tiny.  But...his weight gain is consistent with his growth curve so I'm not worried.  I hate for him that he is by far the smallest kid in his class and on his sports teams, but as long as he is healthy, that's what matters.  I am 5 feet tall and 103 lbs...and his dad is 5'6" so I don't expect any of my kids to be huge...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LO is almost 5 months old and 11lb, 9 oz. I think she's fine. I mean, somebody has to be the 3rd percentile, right? I was only 16 lb at 1 year so it seems to be genetic. I wouldn't worry if she acts healthy and hits milestones, etc!
  • PS- I'm 5'2 at 115 ( hoping to get back to my bikini weight of 110 someday). DH is 5'11 but LO seems to take after me in almost every way so far!
  • My guy is a peanut to me, he's around 25th percentile.  At 5 months he was 16lbs.  He doesn't have a single roll on his body, which I sometimes am envious of on other babies but my skinny baby is pretty darn cute anyhow.  The bonus of having a peanut is there is less to carry around.

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies.  She is hitting all the milestones and is alert and generally a happy baby.  She has fallen off of her personal growth curve a bit so I guess that's more the issue than the weight itself.  She's tracking well with her height and head circumference though.  I guess I just need to relax.  The pedi's not too concerned yet so I guess I shouldn't be either.  Its just so personal when you EBF plus its hard to tell how much they're getting when they won't take a bottle. 
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • I wouldn't even count that as a weigh in if it's not under the same conditions it normally is.

Our pedi doesn't make us strip down the baby at weigh in so I have her wear the same type of outfit (a sleeper) each time.

I wouldn't worry too much. Weight gain slows down between 4-6 months, supposedly. Make sure when you take her next time they put her on the scale she used to be on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My daughter is a peanut.  Every appointment her weight is in the 10-15% range.  Her height, however, is in the 99% range.  She's had to go back every couple weeks and now every month for weight checks, but she's doing well.  She's a little over 13 pounds and she's 5 months.  My pedi. says she's just a very lean baby and she's SUPER active.  When she's on the floor, she's constantly kicking her legs in a "running man" fashion and always wiggling around.  The doctor isn't concerned anymore because she continues to gain at an appropriate weight and is actually hitting most milestones about 4-5 months early.  She's vibrant, alert, and just very very petite.  She did warn me, however, that petite and uber alert babies unfortunately become busy busy busy NAUGHTY toddlers.  But she promises that I'll appreciate this someday when she's a healthy and active teen.  :) 
  • candr09candr09 member

I'm in the same boat, except DD was BELOW the 1% at her last appointment. She completely fell off of the growth charts. Sad

I was pretty much in the same boat as you. STTN, EBF,I'm small, and a tiny little girl. At 4 months they had us add cereal to her bottles. We went back at 5 months and she had only gained 2oz in 4 weeks. Thats when I started getting really worried and so did her pedi. At the 5 month app they said we have to add some powdered formula to her breast milk, and give at least 1-2 bottled of pumped BM daily (prior to that she was only getting bottles when I was at work or not around... on my days off she would only get it directly from breast, so now even on my days off I replace 1-2 nursing sessions with a pumped bottle with the added formula powder).

We go back in an hour to see her progress. They told me last time that if there wasn't a significant gain by today they are going to send her to the children's hospital for some testing.

Its hard with EBF because I know at least for me it makes me feel like its my fault that she's not growing. I feel like I'm not providing enough for her or that my milk isn't good enough. Our pedi has been really supportive though. She told me that some babies just require more calories, etc. Keep your head up. Babies grown at different rates, maybe your DD was just in a little slump and she'll hit a huge growth spurt in the next week or two! Good luck at your weight check... if she's still not gaining they'll probably tell you to supplement after that.

and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was also worried about my Lo's growth.  I was telling my La Leche league leader about her eating habits and she suggested I feed my baby more.  I was feeding her every 3 hours during the day and then at night she would go around 9 hours with food.  This shocked the leader and she told me to feed her more often.  She said during the day I should feed her every 2 hours and at night not let her go more than a 4-6 hour stretch without food.  I started to wake my LO up to eat every 2 hours during the day and after a few days of that she started waking up on her own every two hours.  I also started giving my LO a dream feed before we go to bed so she doesn't go quite so long at night.  If your LO is starting to go down on her own growth scale, I would consider doing this.  I think it has really helped out my LO.  Breastfed babies also tend to gain weight a bit slower than formula babies when they get older.  It could just be that that is happening.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This thread makes me feel better! I also have a peanut. She was weighted today at 12 lbs 5 oz and I BF too so I took it wayyy too personally when I was told last month that we might have had to supplement her with formula. Totally cried on the way home that day. I felt so inadequate, but should not have. Some babies are just petite, just like adults. I'm not a tiny person per say, 5'6. My H is 5'5.

Just know that you are doing a great job mama!! ??

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"