Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Did you have a relatively smooth induction?

My first labor was through a very slow and painful induction. On Friday I am unfortunatly being induced again with my second. My body just refuses to cooperate. Has anyone had a smooth induction story to share?

Re: Did you have a relatively smooth induction?

• I was really against induction until DD decided she wasn't going to come out and my doctor really pushed for it.  I was induced 10 days after my due date and I also had an epidural.  Although labor was somewhat long (17 hours) it went relatively smooth once I got the epidural. The only hitch we did run into was her heart beat would go down if they up'd the Pitocin past 8 mg (I think) and our nurse said most of the women get the max which was in the 40s. Once she came I felt pressure but no pain and I only pushed for about 40 minutes. GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got pitocin at 6am, epidural around 2, baby at 7:30pm. Very smooth, and only pushed for 15 min. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I did.  It was my first, and we were induced at 38 weeks + 4 days due to low fetal movement and growth.  Went in at 7am already at 2-3cm, hooked up to pitocin at 8:30, broke my water at 9:30.  I contribute the speed of it all to them breaking my water so early.  Got an epidural at 10:15  Alexander was born at 1:14pm after 14 minutes of "work."  Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it would be that smooth.  Baby boy did scare us just a bit along the way with some decels though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had the same first experience with DS. I was induced with DD and it was a total BREEZE! I couldn't have had an easier labor/delivery. The first was definitely is not an indication of future inductions! 

I was 3 cm and 80% effaced when I walked into the hospital.Started at 9 am. epi at noon fyi

delivered Quinn at 2:41pm 

• OH-she was out in one push. 9 lbs. 1 ounce 22 inches. DS seemed to have paved the way. lol
  • went in at 530 was already 5 cm dilated started pit a 615 broke my water and epidural at 8 lo born at 317pm pushed for 5 minutes
  • Went in at 6am and was already dilated 3/4 cm and 80% efaced , pitocin by 715, water broke at 1030, epidural in the afternoon, started pushing at 520pm, pushed for 15min and had him out in 6 pushes by 535pm. I'd definitely be induced again.
    imageimageimageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine went great. Arrived at 6 am, was given the Pitocin at 8 and he was born with no complicationsvat 4.
  • Oh and they broke my water early. Before I received the pit I believe.
  • they insurted a capsule in my cervix around 10am, around 12 i started having contractions, about 5pm i was 6cm didnt recieve pain meds, then 7:27pm i had my baby boy. (7.5 hour labor)

i didnt want pitocin i though it would give me a harder labor. since it makes contraction come and harder while the capsule helps dialate and soften.

• imageJsMama125:

they insurted a capsule in my cervix around 10am, around 12 i started having contractions, about 5pm i was 6cm didnt recieve pain meds, then 7:27pm i had my baby boy. (7.5 hour labor)

i didnt want pitocin i though it would give me a harder labor. since it makes contraction come and harder while the capsule helps dialate and soften.

i was only 1cm and  40% when i started

• jeffraejeffrae member

I have two different stories.  With DD1 - my water broke at home - but I was stalled at 3 cm and 80% effaced for 12 hours before they started pit.  Then I labored with that for 5 hours and made it to a 5 cm.  I got my epidural around then and pushed for 2 hours after laboring down for about an hour.  Total labor time from water breaking was 28 hours.

With DD2 I was in what is called prodomal labor (sp??) which is where labor starts and then stops (in my case a couple weeks).  I had 2:30 minute ctx for 10 hours by the time they admitted me and broke my water (at 2-3 cm and 80%).  I labored on my own for about 5 hours and made it to almost 3 cm and 100% effaced.  They gave me pit....it did not make much movement until I got an early epidural.  30 minutes after getting that I was already at a 4.  Total labor time from water being broken was 18 hours (with a sunny side up baby) - I pushed for 1 hour.

Both ended with a successful vaginal delivery - first time no tear, second time 1st degree tear. 

• I had a great induction.  I was induced on my due date due to my blood pressure.  They started the pitocin at 2pm, broke my water at 5pm.  Didn't start hurting until they broke my water.  At 7pm I got an epi and at 12am I started pushing.  My beautiful little girl was born at 2:08am.  Cound not have wished for a smoother go of it :)  Good luck!!
  • I ended up with a half induction.

They started Cytotec at noon on Weds.  Had two doses and then let me sleep through the night.  I was having very minor contractions.  3 am my water broke and labor started and continued on its own.   

• I was 11 days late - I had the pitocin & contracted for about 8hrs with no pain.  Got the epidural when they broke my water and contracted for another 4 hrs with zero further progress.  Ended up with a cesarean.  That was easy even though I was freaked out.
  • My induction was a DREAM!!!  I went in a 3cm dilated at 39 weeks.  From when they started the pitocin to when DD was born was only 3.5 hours.  They started pitocin and broke my water within 15 minutes...and then labor started up very quickly.  After about 45 minutes of contractions I asked for an epidural...by the time the anesthesiologist got to me, I was at 8 cm (the epidural did not take though).  I pushed for about 5 minutes and everything was fine...I think I was ok with the epi not working because it was such a short labor.  My blood pressure did drop pretty low for a bit after and I felt a little loopy and out of it, but some meds helped out a ton.  And the epi not working ended up being a good thing because I was up on my feet after only about an hour :)  I would totally do it again!!!
  • I was induced 6 days past my due date. Started on cervadil around 3am (had to wait a few hours for a room... That was probably the worst part). My doctor broke my water at 10am, epidural at 11am, pitocin followed. Baby boy was born at 8:03. I pushed for an hour, but I was just exhausted. The doctor helped with the vacuum. But it was smooth since I was always making some progress. I went in at 1cm. And I was never in a lot of pain.
  • I have had 3 perfect inductions, and all my babies were well over 9 pounds.  Pitocin, water breaking, epidural all went smoothly.
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • M&D06M&D06 member
    My induction was awesome and I would definitely do it over again.  I was really nervous because labor with ds #1 was really though with pushing for over 3 hours and needing forceps to get him out.  I tore and was cut and recovery was awful.  I think that delivery really paved the way for this one!  I was 3-4 cm when I went in.  Pitocin was started around 8:30 and my doctor broke my water around 9-9:30.  I got an epi around 12:30 (I don't know how far along I was since they hadn't checked me since I got started).  My doctor checked me after the epi was in and I was comfortable (so probably a half hour later) and I was complete.  We let my contractions work to get the baby lower for about a half hour then I started pushing.  I pushed for about a half hour and he was born at 2 pm.  So, all in all, my labor and delivery was only about 5 1/2 hours.  It was a great experience and I definitely plan on doing it again if we have a #3.  Oh, and ds #1 was 7lb 14oz at birth and this one was 8lb 13oz and they both had the same size head at 14.75 inches..the bigger baby was easier!
  • My second induction was so smooth and easy I felt I could have gave birth to twins.  Seriously...it was awesome...only five hours of labor!  I couldnt get my epidural until 7 cm just because I was waiting on my turn...I had a couple women in front of me.  Even with having to breath through contractions it was great! 

I was induced from 3 cm and 80% effaced.  I was in labor for 5 hours and only pushed for 23minutes.

My frist child was an induction also and I was 90% and 4cm, but I was in labor for 12.5 hours and I had 1.5 hours of pushing and ended up having to use a vaccuum.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was induced for my last child (15 years ago) and it was a horrible experience.  Last week (April 27th) I was induced....I was put on the drip at a low level to begin with....100% effaced and barely dilated.  My water was broken at about 4pm...3 cm dilated....20 mins later I was fully dilated....Zooey was born at 4:50pm. I hope it goes as quickly for you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mrs.ptbmrs.ptb member
    Bean Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Bean Part Deux BabyFruit Ticker
  • Absolutley not!! I had a 44 hr labor and then a c section. I ended up having 3 epi's and then my spinal for the c section. I had back labor the almost the whole time. By far the worst experience in my life... But now I have a beautiful baby, so it was all worth it!

• i went in at 8:30pm started on the pic at 10:30pm got my water broke at midnight got the epi around 1 (i think) took them 45 minutes to give it to me cause my contractions were so strong and close together then he was here by 4:30am...relatively easy
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"