Babies: 3 - 6 Months

4 months and holding bottle ?

Are you LO's trying or did they try to hold their bottle at 4 months. Jay has been doing this for a little while and is getting pretty good. He still can't keep it in his mouth the whole time on his own but he keeps his hands on his bottle the whole time. Is this just about the time they start trying?

Second...He is doing the same thing with his spoon when I give him oatmeal. He wants to hold it (not feed himself). So I was kind of thinking that this is just the age they start doing that that...

Re: 4 months and holding bottle ?

• C does sometimes, depends on his mood really. The other day at the mall he held it all on his own in the stroller. Other times he doesn't want to do it at all. He wants to hold his own stuff now, especially ripping out his binky and chewing on the side of it (it's a soothie)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageOLIVE101887:
    C does sometimes, depends on his mood really. The other day at the mall he held it all on his own in the stroller. Other times he doesn't want to do it at all. He wants to hold his own stuff now, especially ripping out his binky and chewing on the side of it (it's a soothie)
    Exactly this. DS can hold the bottle himself, and take it out of his mouth and put it back in. But only when he feels like it, certainly not every bottle, sometimes not even one bottle a day. But I don't push him to do it or encourage him- I just allow him to do it when he tries.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS has started doing this the last couple of days.  If I let go he can hold it by himself, but he doesn't really get that he has to tilt it up yet so I still have to help.  He's also learned that he can control it when he holds it, so he likes to pull it into his mouth, then pull it away, in, out, in, out....he thinks it's a great game.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, he was reaching for and holding his own bottle at 4 months!

I don't know on the spoon, we're not on solids yet!

• qme09qme09 member

Ali started holding her own bottle consistently at 3 months, and then drinking from a sippy cup at 3.5, so I think that it happens around that 3-5 month range. I don't know for certain, but I just know that's how old the babies I've been around have been when they started doing it.

And with the cereal, the first time we spoon-fed Alicen, she seemed really disinterested in holding the spoon, obviously because she had no idea what was going on. She feeds herself now, but it took her a while to get it into her mouth without feeding her eye or ear or hair first. LOL.

So yeah, I'm thinking that he is right on track, at least from my experience.

• I have no idea. DS had bottles until he was 17 months old, and never once did he hold it himself. (Not that he is developmentally delayed or anything, but I never really wanted him to bottle feed himself. I enjoyed the snuggles and bonding that came along with feedings.)

I always use two spoons when feeding...one for the baby to play with, and the other for me to feed with. Sometimes I have to alterate with each bite, but it works.

• Elise has just started doing this in the last couple of days. If you slowly move the bottle towards her she'll reach out and grab it and pull it to her mouth. She can't hold on to it for long though.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD tries so hard to but she just usually pulls it in and out and misses her mouth a lot and gets upset about it. It kind of makes it hard to feed her.
    DD1 born 11.23.10
    DD2 born 4.16.14
  • Mango tries to hold the bottle while his daddy is feeding him, but we use glass bottles, so they're pretty heavy. For right now, he's limited to just helping.
  • B started doing this about 2 weeks ago. If I'm just giving her a little bit in one of the tiny 2 oz bottles she can wrap her hands around it and goes to town. If it's a larger bottle she will grip it, but can't really work it yet, so she "helps" by holding it. This also correlates to her using her hands to force it out of her mouth so she can play with it...she's strong!!
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, DD starting doing this a week ago.  She also puts her cubby little hand on the boob when nursing - adorable!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"